Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 5-13-16: The Write Stuff

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hmm Tobias Buckell he wrote Cole Protocol. Gray team anyone?
Oh man 2 anthologies? First a freaking comic anthology where I get to visualize these cool stories and now another anthology telling me even more stuff that potentially happens before, during and possibly after Halo 5? Grim I can only take so many stories! (Just kidding, please GIV3 ME M0AR!)
Let's see: Halo: Mythic, Halo: Tales from Slipspace, Halo Wars 2 and now this? Freaking awesome. Given how we are getting two anthology type mediums, one comic and the other novel based, I wonder if we are going to see anything resembling Halo: Legends (not necessarily in Anime form, but could be Sequence or those motion comics we have had in the past with the Mono Lisa or Headhunters).

Also, I find it the use of the term "conscripted" in Kat's universe entry to be quite interesting, especially considering that the Spartan-III "volunteers" we're only volunteers in name only (considering ONI had taken advantage of vulnerable children unable to give an informed consent, and coerced them into joining the Spartan-III Program). However it seems that ONI was planning to "conscript" Kat even before the Fall of New Harmony. This adds an interesting layer of depth into the Spartan-III recruitment.
Loved the article Grim! I cannot wait for Halo Fractures, and honestly, after seeing it, the cover art is now one of my favorite cover arts for anything related to Halo. I think its really considerate for mentioning Halo Canon again. That video on Johnson was very interesting, watched it this morning, even if I already knew all the details. Thank you for the hard work at 343i, and happy 75th!

Sincerely,
p1ay4OURFUN
IxDue 58 wrote:
Quote:
Kat-B320 was born in the city of Monastir, one of the three "jewel cities" on the colony of New Harmony. Though her father had already been killed in action on Harvest and her mother died of cancer in 2536, the fact that her living grandmother was a retired Army General meant her conscription into the SPARTAN-III program would arouse too many political issues. However, when Kat's grandmother was killed during the fall of New Harmony, ONI seized the chance to induct Kat. Brilliant, athletic, and beholden to the UNSC even before her indoctrination began, Kat was marked for special assignment shortly after her augmentations were completed. She and Carter-A259 formed the core of Noble Team, a unit found within a special tasks division of the SPARTAN-III program assigned to SPECWARCOM.
This doesn't seem to fit with what was established in Evolutions.I believe it was mentioned that Cancer had basically been cured hundreds of years prior to the 2500's, in the short story Midnight in the Heart of the Midlothian by Frank O'Connor.

"Cancer ceased to be commonplace in the Human genome by the 22nd century, though cases appeared from time to time as far as the 26th century. However, these could be treated easily by this time." - Halo Evolutions, Page 81.
Even though cancer is easily curable in the 26th century, that does not mean people will never die from it. There some easily curable diseases today that some people still die from due to lack of resources, genetic malfunctions, or they did not realize the symptoms soon enough, to name a few reasons. So, while rare, people could still die from cancer in the 26th century. Unfortunately, Kat's mother was one of those rare victims.

The show House MD really shows how easily people could still get sick over a simple disease and die from it due to a misdiagnosis or something strange that occurred within the body.
CIA391 wrote:
"Jun eventually escaped Reach and was later selected to lead the development of SPARTAN-IV alongside Admiral Musa."

Still no explanation as to how exactly he accomplished this. I wonder if one of those short stories will explain it and it's left vague here so it doesn't spoil it?
From Canon Fodder Issue 18...

Q: How did Jun-A266 escape Reach?
Drone223A: While it is widely known that Spartan-III Jun-A266 – the only surviving member of Noble Team – is currently serving in vital capacities for the SPARTAN-IV program, the details of his survival and escape from Reach remain buried under fistfuls of black ink and red tape.

<3
Grim
Pretty much. 343i(plus Grim) doesnt want to explore that particular part of the lore for a rather nice reason.

While the story is non-canon. A fistful of arrows is a story loved at 343i that they dont want to overshadow it.

Also considering how well produced AFOA was. Making a story that matches how good it was would be hard.(for that small timeframe I mean)
The problem with this is that it doesn't actually answer the question. AFOA only shows how Jun and Halsey reach CASTLE base. As the door to the facility closes with Halsey inside, she watches as Jun puts his helmet back on and proceeds to return to the fight. If they want to make that quasi-canon then that's fine, but it still doesn't explain how Jun goes from leaving Halsey, to training the Spartan-IVs.
Ever since Saint's Testimony and Shadow of Intent were revealed to be only available in e-book format, I had hoped that the printed version would be included in the next Evolutions-style book. Guess my prayers have been answered. A bit sad that Nylund won't be contributing though.

On a side note, the image for the cover of Fractures could also be said to resemble a Broken Circle, if you guys know what I mean ;)
So pumped for Fractures. I just bought the three physical releases from last year, so having the other two stories in paperback is something I've been waiting for.
Accidental, edited repost. My Bad. Plz disregard.
I know Grim n GrimBrother One already mentioned it...
Have you read LeviWasTaken's (aka. Levi Hoffmeier ) Fistful of Arrows comic [first found on DeviantArt.com]?
Its "unofficial' canon that fills the timeline hole and question of: "What happened to Jun + Dr Halsey on Reach after splitting with Noble Team?" and has a very well-done plot, character development, action, layout...the works. The art is almost on par with the Escalation comic series.
It is hosted by Bungie and also has an accompanying soundtrack by Sean Mortensen.
I highly encourage visiting this site, for real lore lovers or even casual comic readers.
Leviathan.Bungie.Org
Another anthology story is always good. It would be nice to move into more post-Halo 5 fiction though.
Another anthology story is always good. It would be nice to move into more post-Halo 5 fiction though.
didn't they say that at least 1 of the stories was post Halo 5?
Accidental, edited repost. My Bad. Plz disregard.
UGH YOU'RE THE WORST.

<3
JOLTLORD wrote:
didn't they say that at least 1 of the stories was post Halo 5?
One, perhaps, but l'd prefer a more general push.
JOLTLORD wrote:
One, perhaps, but l'd prefer a more general push.
There is presumably Halo Wars 2. I mean if I remember correctly, Grim answered a community fodder question that asked if Halo Wars 2 will take place sometime after or during Halo 5, and he gave an ambiguous answer of some sort of yes. So, there's possibly that. And Tales from Slipsace. Little tidbits for now, unless 343i is hiding something huge at the moment.
I havent really been getting the books lately, but this might be enough to suck me back into it.
Have you tried Halo: Last light? It was really, really well written IMO
Halo: Fractures? Cannot wait for that! I loved Evolutions. And the tease of stories that will be told sound awesome already.
And it comes with Shadow Of Intent and Saint's Testimony? That means I'll finally read those. Sweet!

I've been enjoying playing as the Arbiter in Killer Instinct. So glad he's individually buyable now.

Not sure about buying Library Edition. I've know about it for a good while now, but I'm hesitant about buying it since I'm not 100% sure how I feel about spending $30 on Escalation again just for some bts stuff. Sure, I bet they're nice, but that's money I don't think I want to fork out for Escalation, ya know?

Still no answer on what happened to Jun. Maybe Fractures might answer that? Or are we still waiting on Fistful Of Arrows finally being made canon (which would just be the coolest)?
Can't wait to pick up the HALO Encyclopedia #2! Props to HALO CANON for reteaching me about Sargent Badass Johnson!
GrimBrotherOne (And everyone else), what's your favorite tale/event in the HALO Universe?
Spoiler:
Show
Oh come on man I'm still on my first book
I know Grim n GrimBrother One already mentioned it...
Have you read LeviWasTaken's (aka. Levi Hoffmeier ) Fistful of Arrows comic [first found on DeviantArt.com]?
Its "unofficial' canon that fills the timeline hole and question of: "What happened to Jun + Dr Halsey on Reach after splitting with Noble Team?" and has a very well-done plot, character development, action, layout...the works. The art is almost on par with the Escalation comic series.
It is hosted by Bungie and also has an accompanying soundtrack by Sean Mortensen.
I highly encourage visiting this site, for real lore lovers or even casual comic readers.
Leviathan.Bungie.Org
"Unofficial" canon is still not canon.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2