Canon Fodder 5-27-16: Driving Force

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
This week in Canon Fodder, we chat with a busy new Halo writer and finish off some Hog Wild fiction.

Read more here...

<3
Grim
FIRST!

That summary about the Created and Grunts... Hmm... As I expected, there'd be a lot of good brought to people undergoing extreme suffering. Though, I wonder if the Unggoy will realize they're being used. Granted, it's the best damn deal they've gotten since the Covenant, which honestly wouldn't have been that hard to beat.

Are we gonna end up seeing native Unggoy tech now?

Also, the Covenant are still around? It makes sense of course, but the rhetoric of Halo 5's campaign made it seem like they'd been thoroughly crushed. Especially since the Arbiter made sure to have a military as well as an ideological defeat with the Guardian betraying the Covenant.

I'm also enjoying the trend of humanity and the Sangheili having to work together out of both of their benefits and well being. They're definitely on a fast track to peaceful terms now that they don't have to wade through a political minefield.
Are we getting a story on Gek 'Lhar? makes me wonder why he was featured in this article about the different anthologys... I can only hope.
Well it was nice to get to know Mr. Miller a little better.
Ah, I knew we'd be seeing civilizations openly accepting the Created's offer. They're also getting the goods they need to flourish and rebuild as part of that deal. Now I'm wondering if that means we'll be seeing Unggoy equipped with better armor and weapons so that they can serve in the Created's military? I'm still hoping we could see species like Unggoy or Sangheili equipped with Forerunner Combat Skins.
*reads the Unggoy story*

What the...

*explodes*
The Unggoy have allied with the Created. Honestly this isn't too surprising but it is quite shocking. I have to infer whether or not the Jiralhanae would also ally with the Created. Considering how the Jiralhanae are currently, as far as we are aware, in a similar situation with the Unggoy (arguably worse. The Unggoy aren't getting hunted down by vengeful Sangheili to near extinction as of the post war era) with their civil war and famine starving out the Jiralhanae, along with their small population in comparison to all the other Covenant species (they've only been space faring for 66 years by 2558), I can see the Jiralhanae being forced/choose to co-operate with the Created.
I wonder how many other species will join Cortana's "New Galactic Order" peacefully. I like how this is playing out.
L3ntPuma wrote:
I wonder how many other species will join Cortana's "New Galactic Order" peacefully. I like how this is playing out.
Jiralhanae would likely join up to survive (famine, civil war, difficulty handling resources (odd considering they managed rocketry and radio before the Covenant), vengeful Sangheili exterminating them, etc. etc.), the Kig-Yar would benefit from new tech and we know some Kig-Yar want to unite them, and the San'Shyuum would benefit by avoiding extinction (again, vengeful Sangheili as well as low numbers).
I wonder why Sanghelios hasn't been hit by the Created yet? Is it protected by plot armor, or is there really an in-universe reason for them not disabling it already? We know Covenant tech is susceptible to the Guardian's EMP because we see Covenant aircraft crashing out of the sky as the Guardian rises, and when it jumps to slipspace we see the larger Covenant starships fall out of the sky.
Reading this article pertaining to the Unggoy and Created forming an alliance created an interesting scenario in my head and this is still just a though to me. After allying themselves the Unggoy started receiving various forms of assistance from the Created such as the mentioned Agricultural support stations. This would make the Unggoy, in my opinion, much more likely to consider the Created as better leaders leaders to them than the Hierarchs in the Covenant, the the Unggoy were drafted into rather than joined of their free will. This could potentially have them feel obligated to the Created and join the military ranks and we might see them in the future with better weapons and armor like energy sheilds or even Forerunner combat skins. And maybe now that the Unggoy have something to fight for they might even be much more braver than they were in the games. In addition, Cortana might think that when everyone else sees what she has done for the Unggoy they might realize they she was right.
Oooo this is interesting. This seems to support the theory from awhile back that Cortana is essentially creating a new Covenant with her as their god.

Don't know how I feel about this yet. I just pray whatever story we get going forward is done better than Halo 5 and Escalation.
This was a great cannon fodder! The interview was very nice! I'm excited for the two anthologies!

im also excited for e3!

the new REQs, well they are very interesting. I kind of wish the Vespine had been fuel rods but okay. I like the idea of SoS and UNSC together patrolling sangheilios. I really like the idea of crosspolinization of technology.

The rally hog? I think Kiki wolfkill really likes this vehicle. And I'm guessing you do too, a lot. The idea and lore premise, is it your favourite? Might want to give us some insight into the stickers on it sometime!!

ah yes! The created and the grunts? Oh my! I'm excited to know more. This is very very interesting. I'm really liking where this is going.
The idea of it seems so great.
On one hand, I think it is cool that the Grunts benefit so far thanks to the Created. Their factories work again, they have access to advanced technology, and are arguably in a more favorable condition than under the Covenant.

Still, it still feels like Created as a faction and Cortana are being treated with kid gloves. The Grunts as a species ally with her just like that? There is no expressed concern from some of those who join her out of fear considering she murdered scores of innocent people and threatened white hot wrath against those who opposed her? There is that maybe at the end about whether or not their fate is there own, but that is pretty soft knock against the Created agenda. I know these little bits of info are more or less just setting up the new landscape, but it's pretty disappointing to see the worst laid against the Created is their mishap with a Forerunner artifact and crashing of a space station.

I mean, with a people seemingly as cautious as the Grunts you'd think one or two would point out how precarious the whole thing is.
So I was right in thinking that we'd see the Covenant species returning as part of the Created forces. I wonder how many will be accepting Cortana's offers, and how many of the Covenant remnants will remain as separate entities, following their own agendas.
Hey folks. Just so you dont miss out. This might help folks get a clearer understanding of a grunty situation.

Req Drop

PS Its something Grim wrote for the Req Drop. A first person look into the grunty event mentioned in the canon fodder.
Onyx81 wrote:
FIRST!

That summary about the Created and Grunts... Hmm... As I expected, there'd be a lot of good brought to people undergoing extreme suffering. Though, I wonder if the Unggoy will realize they're being used. Granted, it's the best damn deal they've gotten since the Covenant, which honestly wouldn't have been that hard to beat.

Are we gonna end up seeing native Unggoy tech now?

Also, the Covenant are still around? It makes sense of course, but the rhetoric of Halo 5's campaign made it seem like they'd been thoroughly crushed. Especially since the Arbiter made sure to have a military as well as an ideological defeat with the Guardian betraying the Covenant.

I'm also enjoying the trend of humanity and the Sangheili having to work together out of both of their benefits and well being. They're definitely on a fast track to peaceful terms now that they don't have to wade through a political minefield.
I mean yeah they're getting used in a way, but it sounds more like liberation. These guys have been crushed beneath the weight of one overlord to another for 1000 years. Now here's Cortana bringing them food, medicine, shelter and repairing their infrastructure. I'm sure to the Unggoy working for her cause is the least they could do. She's basically treating them with dignity and in turn giving them all a purpose and in turn they share every factory and dirty little secret they ever learned in the Covenant.
I wonder why Sanghelios hasn't been hit by the Created yet? Is it protected by plot armor, or is there really an in-universe reason for them not disabling it already? We know Covenant tech is susceptible to the Guardian's EMP because we see Covenant aircraft crashing out of the sky as the Guardian rises, and when it jumps to slipspace we see the larger Covenant starships fall out of the sky.
It's possible that Cortana is currently using all the Guardians she has at her disposal to police human and I suppose now Covenant territories since we have official confirmation that she has at least one foothold (Balaho).

The Swords of Sanghelios are likely formidable and from the post-Halo 5 information we have a fairly significant amount of UNSC groups escaped were rise to power besides the UNSC Infinity judging by the fact that they are developing Warthogs together on Sanghelios. Without the support of a Guardian and the need to consolidate her territory and even perhaps a wish not to directly harm John yet she has left Sanghelios alone until her Created armies can go and squash their "pitiful little band".
ArtooFeva wrote:
I mean yeah they're getting used in a way, but it sounds more like liberation. These guys have been crushed beneath the weight of one overlord to another for 1000 years. Now here's Cortana bringing them food, medicine, shelter and repairing their infrastructure. I'm sure to the Unggoy working for her cause is the least they could do. She's basically treating them with dignity and in turn giving them all a purpose and in turn they share every factory and dirty little secret they ever learned in the Covenant.
"Liberation" huh? And what do you think Space Hitler would do the moment the Grunts decided that they didn't want to help out the war effort by sacrificing their lives or making weapons? They're still indentured servants to a manipulative overlord. They're no more free now than they were under the Covenant, just more comfortable - a gilded cage is still just that, a cage.
iSNIPRpro wrote:
Reading this article pertaining to the Unggoy and Created forming an alliance created an interesting scenario in my head and this is still just a though to me. After allying themselves the Unggoy started receiving various forms of assistance from the Created such as the mentioned Agricultural support stations. This would make the Unggoy, in my opinion, much more likely to consider the Created as better leaders leaders to them than the Hierarchs in the Covenant, the the Unggoy were drafted into rather than joined of their free will. This could potentially have them feel obligated to the Created and join the military ranks and we might see them in the future with better weapons and armor like energy sheilds or even Forerunner combat skins. And maybe now that the Unggoy have something to fight for they might even be much more braver than they were in the games. In addition, Cortana might think that when everyone else sees what she has done for the Unggoy they might realize they she was right.
It would also mean that someone that fights against such apparently benevolent order would be a villain. This could mean that our heroes could be seen as a dangerous and perhaps evil force to those who think Cortana's Created are bringing peace and prosperity to their worlds. I like the movement toward a more morally ambiguous attitude to the Created occupation.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4