Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Canon Fodder 6-17-16: Surface Features

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
JJAB91 wrote:
So the Spirit of Fire drifted to the Ark. Coincidence?
Didn't the first game (never played it since I really don't enjoy nor am good at RTS games) take place earlier in the series? And HW2 is now going to be after H5? So then, the characters are still alive? But how? Would they even have food on board to last many many years? And didn't the Flood do something? Even if I'll never play this, I'm hoping that 343i stops overdoing the use of the Ark(s). Big whoop, many characters are visiting one or the other like it's no big deal, now...
This should answer your questions.Sincerely,
p1ay4OURFUN
I had to stare at that Cyclops armor for a good half minute to finally realize that no, I wasn't looking at the back of the helmet.
I had to stare at that Cyclops armor for a good half minute to finally realize that no, I wasn't looking at the back of the helmet.
Lolz
JJAB91 wrote:
Didn't the first game (never played it since I really don't enjoy nor am good at RTS games) take place earlier in the series? And HW2 is now going to be after H5? So then, the characters are still alive? But how? Would they even have food on board to last many many years? And didn't the Flood do something? Even if I'll never play this, I'm hoping that 343i stops overdoing the use of the Ark(s). Big whoop, many characters are visiting one or the other like it's no big deal, now...
p1ay4OURFUN
Ok, so what I had heard was correct. But...I have serious issues with it:

"Despite the measures imposed by the Chief Medical Officer O'Neil, at least one Flood infection form managed to infiltrate the ship at some point. At the same time, the Spirit of Fire had reached an unknown multiple star system and was drifting near a terrestrial planet."
- An infection form got on board? Well, that sucks. Based on everything we've seen in the Halo series, even one form can wreak havoc and destruction. So how are the rest of the crew still alive? They must have plot armor.

"In 2559, after 28 years of bring adrift, the Spirit of Fire came into orbit above Installation 00. There the crew encountered a violent mercenary group called the Banished."
- This is just ridiculous. I doubt that the SoF exited the bloody Milky Way galaxy in 28 years. Because that, my friends, is where Installation 00, aka the Ark, is located. I can't even suspend my disbelief about this. Can't 343i stop bringing the Ark(s) in at every possibility? Even super-special Olympia Vale got to go to one of the Arks and save the galaxy. Whoop-dee-doo. (Also, how did the Brutes get there?)

Forgive me if I am being frustrated and cynical. It's this kind of stuff that's making me get tired of the path 343i is taking the franchise.
JJAB91 wrote:
p1ay4OURFUN

"Despite the measures imposed by the Chief Medical Officer O'Neil, at least one Flood infection form managed to infiltrate the ship at some point. At the same time, the Spirit of Fire had reached an unknown multiple star system and was drifting near a terrestrial planet."
- An infection form got on board? Well, that sucks. Based on everything we've seen in the Halo series, even one form can wreak havoc and destruction. So how are the rest of the crew still alive? They must have plot armor.

"In 2559, after 28 years of bring adrift, the Spirit of Fire came into orbit above Installation 00. There the crew encountered a violent mercenary group called the Banished."
- This is just ridiculous. I doubt that the SoF exited the bloody Milky Way galaxy in 28 years. Because that, my friends, is where Installation 00, aka the Ark, is located. I can't even suspend my disbelief about this. Can't 343i stop bringing the Ark(s) in at every possibility? Even super-special Olympia Vale got to go to one of the Arks and save the galaxy. Whoop-dee-doo. (Also, how did the Brutes get there?)

Forgive me if I am being frustrated and cynical. It's this kind of stuff that's making me get tired of the path 343i is taking the franchise.
Currently, there is only one Ark that we know still exists. There was a bigger, older one, but it was seemingly destroyed near the end of the Forerunner-Flood war.
How, exactly, is 343 shoehorning the Ark into the story? Including Halo Wars 2, they've only visited it in the modern Era twice. Re-visiting plotlines and locations isn't a bad thing, and I'm sure the SoF didn't just 'drift' to the Ark. Wait until we actually get details about something before saying it's ridiculous.
It's also no less contrived than what we saw in the Bungie game Halo 2 about the discovery of Installation 05. It literally just... appeared in the narrative. Supplementary materialso only cleared up why Regret'so flagship wound up there.

Look, I'm all for calling out developers when they do stuff we don't like, but this seems like a needless slam at 343 for not really doing anything different that Bungie. It's fine to like one better, but don't make double standards.
JJAB91 wrote:
p1ay4OURFUN

Currently, there is only one Ark that we know still exists. There was a bigger, older one, but it was seemingly destroyed near the end of the Forerunner-Flood war.
How, exactly, is 343 shoehorning the Ark into the story? Including Halo Wars 2, they've only visited it in the modern Era twice. Re-visiting plotlines and locations isn't a bad thing, and I'm sure the SoF didn't just 'drift' to the Ark. Wait until we actually get details about something before saying it's ridiculous.
It's also no less contrived than what we saw in the Bungie game Halo 2 about the discovery of Installation 05. It literally just... appeared in the narrative. Supplementary materialso only cleared up why Regret'so flagship wound up there.

Look, I'm all for calling out developers when they do stuff we don't like, but this seems like a needless slam at 343 for not really doing anything different that Bungie. It's fine to like one better, but don't make double standards.
Here's the difference: Installation 05 is in the galaxy; the Ark is not. Therefore, it shouldn't be so easy for the Ark to be visited two more times after Halo 3, by these side characters. Why should I even care about them? I've been growing increasingly more irritated with the EU stories and characters that have been added to the Halo series. It's personal taste and opinion, yes. But I have a right to express my frustration and disbelief on topics. This also has nothing to do with 343i being the new owner of Halo - it's all based on what they are actually doing, when looking in hindsight at Halo CE, H2, and H3 (not counting ODST or Reach in there, as they are spin-offs).
JJAB91 wrote:
p1ay4OURFUN

Here's the difference: Installation 05 is in the galaxy; the Ark is not. Therefore, it shouldn't be so easy for the Ark to be visited two more times after Halo 3, by these side characters. Why should I even care about them? I've been growing increasingly more irritated with the EU stories and characters that have been added to the Halo series. It's personal taste and opinion, yes. But I have a right to express my frustration and disbelief on topics. This also has nothing to do with 343i being the new owner of Halo - it's all based on what they are actually doing, when looking in hindsight at Halo CE, H2, and H3 (not counting ODST or Reach in there, as they are spin-offs).
You're perfectly right, it's your opinion, and I am I no way trying to change it. Everyone has their own preferences. I'm sorry if that sounded a tad accusatory.
What I was saying was that we have a concrete way for charactersto get to and from the Ark: the Portal at Voi. True, we have no idea how the SoF got there, but as of now every trip to the Ark has been reasonable. The problem with 05 is that space, even in our own galactic arm, is so unfathomably vast that the chances of just stumbling onto a plot relevant object is essentially zero. Just because Substance is closers to Earth than the Galactica Edge is doesn't make it and its plot relevant satellite more likely to be stumbled upon in a statistically meaningful way. Both have a likelyhood of essentially zero. While I love Halo 2, the fact that it left out how Regret knew it was there in the first place makes its discovery a bit more contrived than anything concerning the Ark as of late.
I by ideas and theory to Halo Wars 2 ending. The spirit of fire on their last leg getting destroyed then the Infinity comes up to the Ark as a last resort from Cortana and sees the sprit of fire and takes out the banished to join them as allies or to kill them to stop Cortana.
JJAB91 wrote:
p1ay4OURFUN

You're perfectly right, it's your opinion, and I am I no way trying to change it. Everyone has their own preferences. I'm sorry if that sounded a tad accusatory.
What I was saying was that we have a concrete way for charactersto get to and from the Ark: the Portal at Voi. True, we have no idea how the SoF got there, but as of now every trip to the Ark has been reasonable. The problem with 05 is that space, even in our own galactic arm, is so unfathomably vast that the chances of just stumbling onto a plot relevant object is essentially zero. Just because Substance is closers to Earth than the Galactica Edge is doesn't make it and its plot relevant satellite more likely to be stumbled upon in a statistically meaningful way. Both have a likelyhood of essentially zero. While I love Halo 2, the fact that it left out how Regret knew it was there in the first place makes its discovery a bit more contrived than anything concerning the Ark as of late.
Thoughts about that portal: I was thinking that it closed after Halo 3, especially since I'm not interested in nearly all of the EU material. So therefore I rolled my eyes when I heard the plot of Hunters in the Dark.

Also (going a bit off topic here), at the end of Halo 3, after Installation 04B is destroyed, are MC, Cortana, and Arbiter still by the Ark? Or did the two halves of the FUD manage to slipspace away, but end up in two different parts of the Milky Way?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text.

Esto que vendra en halo 5 sera una locura
Great read! More architectural design snippets please!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2