Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Captain Keyes- Was His Death Worth It?

OP MrLaxenface

Was Keyes Death REALLY Worth It, Or Do You Think The Flood Just Did It To Get Food And Make The UNSC Mad?

Tell Me What You Think! Thanks!
I mean his death was not worth it at all... he died because he got captured by the Flood, simple as that. It wasn't a noble sacrifice or anything. The nobility came from his ability to resist the Flood's intrusion into his brain, which prevented them from learning Earth's location too quickly.
Captain Keyes was not killed to simply anger the UNSC. The Flood was still weak and needed biomass, and Keyes should have never been on that mission in the first place. What makes his death having meaning is that he was the most logistically powerful human on the Halo ring, he had all the command codes and information needed in order for the Flood to take control of UNSC assets and know the location of every human colony, including Earth. It was a miracle and testament to his personality and integrity that he held out as long as he did.

So did he die a stupid death? Yes, because as command staff he should have never left the command center of Alpha Base. That would have prevented any risk of him being captured or killed by the Covenant, and later, Flood.

Was his death meaningless? No, as it served a purpose for the Flood, with him they had everything they needed to spread out and consume a galaxy that was entirely unprepared for anything like the Flood.

From a narrative standpoint, meaning from a story position, Keyes getting assimilated by the Flood gives you a personal reason to hate it beyond the threat it poses. Keyes is the first character you meet, he's a competent and friendly officer who treats the Chief (and by extension, the player) with a familiarity and respect that immediately makes you like him on some level. So seeing him as a Protogravemind is supposed to make you feel angry, sad, determined, to give you a drive to move forward and complete the rest of the game not because it's the mission, but to give you a personal stake in ending the threat for Keyes.
Was Keyes Death REALLY Worth It, Or Do You Think The Flood Just Did It To Get Food And Make The UNSC Mad?

Tell Me What You Think! Thanks!
Well they were just eating food. The flood, other than Gravemind, don't think like that or at all.
I f***ing hate the Flood. And that will never change.
The flood is my least favourite, I wish Halo could take it out...
That is what Halo is designed to do lol
Ba-dum tss.
Ba-dum tss.
Lol.. but for real, The flood can't be taken out of Halo as a game or gaming universe.. they're kind of a big deal in the Halo Universe. Without them, the Halo rings themselves would never have existed at all.
Ba-dum tss.
I know what the 9 halo rings (halo array) are meant to do, kill everyone except the flood so the flood can starve, I knew that before I started playing halo in 2004
Ba-dum tss.
I know what the 9 halo rings (halo array) are meant to do, kill everyone except the flood so the flood can starve, I knew that before I started playing halo in 2004
To insert a little "um actually" to this post... It's 7 Halo rings. There were 12 in the senescent array. The neoteric array had seven including Zeta Halo, which was from the senescent array.

Are you thinking of the additional rings created after Installation 04 was destroyed? If so, then technically there are in fact nine rings. Installation 04b and 04c (aka 08 and 09) were destroyed, but technically nine rings existed at one point or another while the neoteric array has been around.
Ba-dum tss.
To insert a little "um actually" to this post... It's 7 Halo rings. There were 12 in the senescent array. The neoteric array had seven including Zeta Halo, which was from the senescent array.

Are you thinking of the additional rings created after Installation 04 was destroyed? If so, then technically there are in fact nine rings. Installation 04b and 04c (aka 08 and 09) were destroyed, but technically nine rings existed at one point or another while the neoteric array has been around.
I forgot they were destroyed, thanks!