Skip to main content
There is the radioisotope ammo from the original carbine and the reactive ammo for the new carbine, but what exactly are these materials? Can we start a scientific discussion on what exactly these materials are.
i'd assume it's a very lite-version of what fuel rod guns use, at least that's what i've always believed
some sort of radioactive material mabey balmite (needler ammo) or just lite fuel rod cannon ammo as the obove post said
Whatever it is, it glows green. There are a few radioactive materials that do this, namely radium, tritium, and promethium. Whatever material the carbine uses likely contains at least one of these. Of these, radium is particularly nasty. One isotope, radium-226, has a half life of 1600 years (meaning it can be stored for long periods and not lose potency) and it decays into radon-222, which is itself radioactive with a half life of about 4 days. Have fun dealing with that.

This is what I got from Wikipedia, so this might be a bit oversimplified or even flat-out wrong. If there are any nuclear physicists here who can set the record straight, I'm all ears.
"The Type-51 Carbine marks itself as unique among Covenant firearms by its ammunition. Rather than using plasma bursts which can be inaccurate and slow at long range, this weapon utilizes caseless radioactive projectiles, shot out at supersonic speeds.[5] It is unknown how or when the Covenant developed this weapon, but its ammunition is believed to be based on the Type-33 Light Anti-Armor Weapon's ammunition.
When fired, the projectile is powered along its entire flight path, consuming up to 50% of its total mass by the time it reaches its maximum effective range. Against light armored targets, the rounds' supersonic speed and super-heated nature ensures armor penetration on either the first or second impact. Impacts to the flesh can vary dependent upon range and speed - a single round impacting flesh at close range will penetrate deep into the target,"(fandom carbine t52)
Well since the carbines evolution throughout the halo games I would think that it's amo would evolve if you check the lore the gas that is released when you eject a carbine clip is the same gas in halo 3 from a plasma grenade.
The carbine ammo does have similar properties as the fuel rod gun, but there are a few key differences in the projectiles fired the put a few holes in that theory. (If you pardon the pun). First of all as mentioned in the posts above the carbine fires a solid projectile of a radioactive material, now it does sound a lot like the Fuel Rod Gun as they both use radioactive rounds and have a burning effect on targets. However the Fuel Rod Gun fires a gel not a solid projectile, this gel is encased in a capsule as it is fired and explodes when it makes contact.

This doesn't mean they both don't use the same material but it shows that the carbine rounds aren't just smaller Fuel Rod rounds. Given what we know about both of them I am 90% sure that they use the same material but the Fuel Rod Gun fires a liquid (Perhaps plasma) of that material while the carbine fires a solid round. Because we can now be sure that they both use the same material we can look into both of them for similarities and try and figure it out.

Entropy91 wrote:
Whatever it is, it glows green. There are a few radioactive materials that do this, namely radium, tritium, and promethium. Whatever material the carbine uses likely contains at least one of these. Of these, radium is particularly nasty. One isotope, radium-226, has a half life of 1600 years (meaning it can be stored for long periods and not lose potency) and it decays into radon-222, which is itself radioactive with a half life of about 4 days. Have fun dealing with that.

This is what I got from Wikipedia, so this might be a bit oversimplified or even flat-out wrong. If there are any nuclear physicists here who can set the record straight, I'm all ears.
Going off what Entropy said these three would be pretty suitable for these rounds. (Also I don't want to go around looking for every green glowing radioactive material.) The key thing to look for here is the ones with the strongest radiation. I'm inclined to go for radium since out of all three it seems to be the only one that emits gamma radiation as far as I know. The half life of radium also supports this which makes sense as troops can go a long time without fighting so they would need to be stored for a while.

So that's my answer for it anyway, Radium. I gotta say I feel sorry for anyone hit by one of these rounds, it wouldn't be a pleasant death.
Dead on midnight is right the carbine is a smaller version of the fuel rod cannon. 👍👍👍
I have some ideas on certain things about the ammunition.
We know it glows but it doesn't always mean its the radioactive nature of the material. The glowing can be caused by the presence of phosphors that glow due to the presence of radioactive materials. So this is what I think.
The rounds are hard radioactive element with a long half life but still has the ability to produce heat (similar to plutonium) which is coated in the incendiary gel similar to fuel rods. I was in another discussion on why the gel glows, it seemed to me it was due to the presence of phosphors (similar to a tritium sight), so I was thinking what if the gel was inert but when exposed to a powerful radiation source, it became radioactive itself which then caused the phosphors in the gel to glow.

I added the idea of a hard metal core because of the main difference of the two weapons. One is meant to pierce armor while the other is meant to blow stuff up. So it would make sense to have a hard metal core that is heated by the incendiary gel or other methods of producing heat to help in piercing a target.

So tell me what you guys think about my idea, because some of these weapons are such a mystery sometimes, and it will be good to know about this stuff in case aliens do try to wipe us out.

Feel free to dissect my idea or build upon it?
If the carbine gives off rads than would it effect marines such as johnsen be effected.
This may be due to safety systems in the carbine that protect the user from radiation, but I remember that the covenant army will go through their own form of augmentation to become immune to radiation. But I think the gun itself has radiation shielding, because the radiation the round emits is most likely alpha and beta which can barely pass wood, so forget about it getting though nano-composite which most of covenant items were made of.
This may be due to safety systems in the carbine that protect the user from radiation, but I remember that the covenant army will go through their own form of augmentation to become immune to radiation. But I think the gun itself has radiation shielding, because the radiation the round emits is most likely alpha and beta which can barely pass wood, so forget about it getting though nano-composite which most of covenant items were made of.
This is true, but it would also depend on the rounds used, I only theorized what the possible materials would be in the round if it only emitted alpha or beta waves then there would be no problem at all, but if it also emitted gamma waves there could be a problem. We could easily chalk it up to the covenant making their weapons out of something that would stop gamma waves easily. At our current time we can probably only stop gamma waves with like a foot of lead or something but perhaps the Covenant have fabricated a material that achieves this better.
This is true, but it would also depend on the rounds used, I only theorized what the possible materials would be in the round if it only emitted alpha or beta waves then there would be no problem at all, but if it also emitted gamma waves there could be a problem. We could easily chalk it up to the covenant making their weapons out of something that would stop gamma waves easily. At our current time we can probably only stop gamma waves with like a foot of lead or something but perhaps the Covenant have fabricated a material that achieves this better.
But it brings in the question, why would they even want to use gamma. Gamma radiation is emitted at a slower rate and the chances of the gamma rays interacting with matter is very little, that is why it is so hard to block it. So using gamma would not make sense if you want to cause a huge amount of damage to cells in a short amount of time.
But it brings in the question, why would they even want to use gamma. Gamma radiation is emitted at a slower rate and the chances of the gamma rays interacting with matter is very little, that is why it is so hard to block it. So using gamma would not make sense if you want to cause a huge amount of damage to cells in a short amount of time.
True but, there was a similar think a few hundred years ago, soldiers would poinsen their bullets so that even if they grazed their enemy they would still die a slow death. My guess is that it would be kind of like that, but then there's the chance they don't use rounds that emit gamma waves.
True but, there was a similar think a few hundred years ago, soldiers would poinsen their bullets so that even if they grazed their enemy they would still die a slow death. My guess is that it would be kind of like that, but then there's the chance they don't use rounds that emit gamma waves.
So we can agree that it is beta and alpha since those are the most dangerous when exposed inside the human body.
So we can agree that it is beta and alpha since those are the most dangerous when exposed inside the human body.
Sure thing. :P

Radiation or no radiation getting shot by one of these things will definitely suck.
Another thing that has to be considered when looking into the composition of the Carbine ammo is that it is launched at speeds up to mach 7. What are your theories on how it is launched to mach 7 and what type of composition the ammo needs to survive that speed.
Thanks.