2. ...
  3. 16
  4. 17
  5. 18
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. ...
  9. 23
So, we're not getting anymore Data Drops? Oh well...guess there's always "Wait 'till it's revealed in a game/book/guide".
Quote:
So, we're not getting anymore Data Drops? Oh well...guess there's always "Wait 'till it's revealed in a game/book/guide".
Not sure, we might get more and we might not.

I assume that Catalog has a lot of data traffic to go through.
It has been awhile...I'm praying for another post.
Quote:
Quote:
I can't ask Catalog when the traffic cone came in to service!

*cries*
I think I am detecting a joke. In the off chance that you are serious . . . why do you need to know that? It is a traffic cone.

I was going to query why the UNSC calls the BR a battle rifle when it is technically a type of Designated Marksman Rifle (REF: Halo: Contact Harvest).

I was going to ask this becuse both have burst fire and single shot setting that you can't switch betweent. Add in the fact that both weapons basically look identical and the evidence is hard to deny.

I might as well make a thread on it.
Probably because it is designated as the BR55, so people in the UNSCDF assume the "BR" stands for "battle rifle". Like how a lot of people think the "AR" in "AR-15" stands for "assault rifle".
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can't ask Catalog when the traffic cone came in to service!

*cries*
I think I am detecting a joke. In the off chance that you are serious . . . why do you need to know that? It is a traffic cone.

I was going to query why the UNSC calls the BR a battle rifle when it is technically a type of Designated Marksman Rifle (REF: Halo: Contact Harvest).

I was going to ask this becuse both have burst fire and single shot setting that you can't switch betweent. Add in the fact that both weapons basically look identical and the evidence is hard to deny.

I might as well make a thread on it.
Probably because it is designated as the BR55, so people in the UNSCDF assume the "BR" stands for "battle rifle". Like how a lot of people think the "AR" in "AR-15" stands for "assault rifle".
The "BR" in BR-55 does indeed stand for Battle Rifle. The official designation for that weapon is Battle Rifle.
I'm sort of curious what Jul mdama's name was during the covenant. Jul mdamaee just looks/sounds weird, so I'm sort of curious how their language structure interacts with that.
Quote:
[quote]I was going to query why the UNSC calls the BR a battle rifle when it is technically a type of Designated Marksman Rifle (REF: Halo: Contact Harvest).
You realize a gun can be both a Designated Marksman Rifle and a Battle Rifle, right?
Quote:
I'm sort of curious what Jul mdama's name was during the covenant. Jul mdamaee just looks/sounds weird, so I'm sort of curious how their language structure interacts with that.
Also a question I'd like to have answered. Having an A and E together like that just doesn't look right.
Is the interaction thread even unlocked yet?
Quote:
Not yet. I'm okay with it being locked for a while if it means he's going to do a super post of answers.
Quote:
Quote:
Not yet. I'm okay with it being locked for a while if it means he's going to do a super post of answers.
I just imagined a super-post that only answered your recent list of questions, Sith.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just imagined a super-post that only answered your recent list of questions, Sith.
I ain't even mad. I eagerly await such a day, though I want Catalog to answer other people's questions as well.
And then Catalog, with it's dying breath, answered the important question....Whatz a Sprartan?
Quote:
Quote:
[quote]I was going to query why the UNSC calls the BR a battle rifle when it is technically a type of Designated Marksman Rifle (REF: Halo: Contact Harvest).
You realize a gun can be both a Designated Marksman Rifle and a Battle Rifle, right?
That does make sense in a way. Maybe I should ask Catalog about that later if the thread opens again.
Soooo, when do you guys think he'll come back?
Quote:
Can't say I have any idea.

Now if only he made a post explaining why he's locking the thread prior to locking it instead of leaving everyone scratching their heads in uncertainty.
Quote:
Quote:
Can't say I have any idea.

Now if only he made a post explaining why he's locking the thread prior to locking it instead of leaving everyone scratching their heads in uncertainty.
I'm still holding out for a mega-post with responses to some of the higher-priority queries we've ask. Maybe I'm being too hopeful.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That does make sense in a way. Maybe I should ask Catalog about that later if the thread opens again.
or not.......... I think he locked the thread because of excess questions. So why not ask that kind of thing here first (the kind of thing that can be speculated on. If we cannot reasonably answer it then ask him. Catalog is a great resorce for interesting topics, but frankly I do not find the reason that the UNSC call the BR a BR is not an interesting topic.

The battle rifle is a close-Medium (although gameplay wise its basically just medium) rang weapon with a 2x scope (Halo2/3). It is literally a battle rifle. Since it is said to lack some effectiveness at longer ranges it cannot be a DMR.

The DMR however is literately a DMR. Its a sniper with less range faster rate of fire and a larger mag. It however has a better scope than the BR and a longer range, since it it hits that med-long long range specification it is a DMR.

Now I know that the US usually uses casing type to distinguish between a BR and DMR as the quote states below. However seeing as the DMR and the BR both use ammunition that is not within those standards, we can safely assume that is not part of the criteria that the UNSC uses to distinguish and categorize the two.

Quote:
"In most cases, a designated marksman rifle will share the ammunition used by standard issue rifles. In the U.S. military, designated marksman rifles chambered for 5.56mm NATO"

"Most designated marksman rifles are based on an assault rifle that is currently issued by a nation's military, or on a battle rifle that was formerly issued. A battle rifle is a semi-automatic or full-automatic rifle that fires 7.62mm NATO or similar full-power rounds"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_marksman_rifle :
Plus DMRs hadn't largely caught on as a thing until about 2006-2008.
Considering the prototype BR55 was stated to have an effective range of almost a kilometer, I'm pretty sure it isn't considered subpar at longer ranges compared to other rifles. Hell, apparently according to the scope of the DMR from Halo 4, the 395's effective range is only 50 meters more. Although, it's possible that that number represents the distance the scope is good for, rather than an identification of the weapon's full range.
Quote:
Considering the prototype BR55 was stated to have an effective range of almost a kilometer, I'm pretty sure it isn't considered subpar at longer ranges compared to other rifles. Hell, apparently according to the scope of the DMR from Halo 4, the 395's effective range is only 50 meters more. Although, it's possible that that number represents the distance the scope is good for, rather than an identification of the weapon's full range.
Quote:
"At longer ranges, it's necessary to minimize strafing movements when firing to avoid "splintering" the shot grouping too much. Since each "shot" is really a three-round burst, certain movements can break up your shot's grouping, and could greatly reduce accuracy. To avoid this, either trade in for the Covenant Carbine, or get up to medium range. The Carbine has the same degree of firepower, and it lacks the splitting effect although it is slightly less accurate......

The Battle Rifle is not as effective at long ranges, with stopping power reduced..."
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/BR55_Battle_Rifle

"Lacks range and accuracy of the DMR"
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/BR85HB_SR_Battle_Rifle

"The DMR has the range of a Sniper Rifle and a higher accuracy and larger ammunition capacity than a Magnum"
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/M392_Designated_Marksman_Rifle
Shall I go on? According to this even its direct counter the Covi Carbine is a better choice for long range (I know that halo.wiki is less reliable on cannon than halopedai. However, I usually find the weapon stats stats of on halo.wiki to be more correct. The same is not true for dates and other things though).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 16
  4. 17
  5. 18
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. ...
  9. 23