3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 23
Quote:
Anyone notice it said the heart of the Mantle's Approach conducted an emergency Slipspace jump to the sector rally point?

Aw, crap. Well, that's one way Cortana could have survived.
Could that not simply have been Cortana translocating John off the ship when he detonated the nuke though?
Sure, as long as she transfered a portion of the light bridge as well so she could form the bubble around him.

However, there's still the whole John holding the bomb problem.
Well, at least we know what became of Byrne. I hope we went down like a badass, and not covered in Flood Infection Forms.
Quote:
Well, at least we know what became of Byrne. I hope we went down like a badass, and not covered in Flood Infection Forms.
What about going down like a badass while covered in Flood Infection Forms?
Quote:
Quote:
What about going down like a badass while covered in Flood Infection Forms?
Well the name Byrne was mentioned once in Halo 3's campaign. During the Level Floodgate when a Marine throws a grenade at a flood.

This corresponds with the date the Catalog gives us sadly. Meaning that Byrne must of been killed.

Didnt say he was infected though.
What does Catalog mean when it says [Waypoint]? I mean I figured it was referring to the Universe's version of Halo Waypoint, but it says that Truth's keyship is indicated to be present there
Quote:
What does Catalog mean when it says [Waypoint]? I mean I figured it was referring to the Universe's version of Halo Waypoint, but it says that Truth's keyship is indicated to be present there
Since Waypoint was an early name for Installation 00 it could be that.
Quote:
I was unaware of that, but I guess I probably should have put it together that it would have to still be there for MB's fragment on it to remain connected to his buried self.

Side note, is it known where he landed on the lesser ark?
Quote:
Quote:
Not quite, waypoint was the name for the portal at Voi.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Frankie seems to disagree.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're both right. What became the Portal in Halo 3 was originally meant to be the Ark.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're both right. What became the Portal in Halo 3 was originally meant to be the Ark.
I was going to mentioned that, but then I thought nah that's somewhat common knowledge.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was going to mentioned that, but then I thought nah that's somewhat common knowledge.
I just like compromise :)

It still begs the question, why did Catalog call the Ark "Waypoint"? And perhaps this is just digging to deep into things, but why was this the first time "Waypoint" was capitalized? Probably nothing significant, but who knows?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It still begs the question, why did Catalog call the Ark "Waypoint"? And perhaps this is just digging to deep into things, but why was this the first time "Waypoint" was capitalized? Probably nothing significant, but who knows?
Perhaps The Ark is simply the Human name for it? What if the Forerunner name litterally translates to Installation-00 or Waypoint or perhaps the Ark we are familiar with is not the thing he was referring to perhaps it is the other Ark that is being called Waypoint.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps The Ark is simply the Human name for it? What if the Forerunner name litterally translates to Installation-00 or Waypoint or perhaps the Ark we are familiar with is not the thing he was referring to perhaps it is the other Ark that is being called Waypoint.
Well, if Catalog is following previous Forerunner translation conventions, words in brackets[] aren't direct translations, but close approximations. An example is the Maginot Sphere. This is named after a French defensive line that operated in a similar capacity prior to WWII.

So taking that into account, Waypoint wouldn't be the Forerunner name, but another close approximation. But given that the Ark is already a popular translation for Installation 00, it's strange that Catalog has, on multiple occasion, referenced it as Waypoint. It could be a simple "easter egg" (considering the name of this site), or it could be important. Maybe Waypoint refers to a specific section of the Ark, or a specific function?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, if Catalog is following previous Forerunner translation conventions, words in brackets[] aren't direct translations, but close approximations. An example is the Maginot Sphere. This is named after a French defensive line that operated in a similar capacity prior to WWII.

So taking that into account, Waypoint wouldn't be the Forerunner name, but another close approximation. But given that the Ark is already a popular translation for Installation 00, it's strange that Catalog has, on multiple occasion, referenced it as Waypoint. It could be a simple "easter egg" (considering the name of this site), or it could be important. Maybe Waypoint refers to a specific section of the Ark, or a specific function?
True, very true.
Poor catalogue. He has face thousands of query and assorted discussions. We really shouldn't post discussions in that page but put all discussions here. Plus he has to answer questions that stalk a particular person rather than questions about forerunner history. I wish i can help him but my answers will be severely affected by reconciliation effects.
Quote:
Poor catalogue. He has face thousands of query and assorted discussions. We really shouldn't post discussions in that page but put all discussions here. Plus he has to answer questions that stalk a particular person rather than questions about forerunner history. I wish i can help him but my answers will be severely affected by reconciliation effects.
That and we also have others asking questions that we already have answers for. Catalog is probably facepalming at the sight of those questions.
I'm thinking we may need to write up some ground rules for querying Catalog. We're clearly overwhelming the guy. I've got some ideas:

1) Do your do diligence. Make sure you have actually checked up on whether your question has been answered already in canon or elsewhere. This thread has a record of Catalog's answers already, and Halopedia is doing the same thing. I've actually seen questions repeated a few pages later because the person asking didn't know it had been answered. And there are over thirty pages to the thread at this point.

2) Don't ask about whether this person survived this game or that, like if Cortana or the Didact survived Halo 4, or the current status of the crew of the Spirit of Fire. People actually are asking that, but really, do they actually think that Catalog will answer that?

3) Don't spam questions. Just ask Catalog once and then wait. If he didn't answer this time, he might on the next.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
Quote:
I'm thinking we may need to write up some ground rules for querying Catalog. We're clearly overwhelming the guy. I've got some ideas:

1) Do your do diligence. Make sure you have actually checked up on whether your question has been answered already in canon or elsewhere. This thread has a record of Catalog's answers already, and Halopedia is doing the same thing. I've actually seen questions repeated a few pages later because the person asking didn't know it had been answered. And there are over thirty pages to the thread at this point.

2) Don't ask about whether this person survived this game or that, like if Cortana or the Didact survived Halo 4, or the current status of the crew of the Spirit of Fire. People actually are asking that, but really, do they actually think that Catalog will answer that?

3) Don't spam questions. Just ask Catalog once and then wait. If he didn't answer this time, he might on the next.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
Actually, that looks like a pretty good idea.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 23