Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Chief VS Locke

OP Tg119

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Over all who do you think is better John 117 or the oni assassin spartan jameson locke.
John 117 by a land slide. John has more experience in the field and with leading a squad than Locke does. Locke is a better investigator than John but something like that wouldn't be important or even needed by the Master Chief. Master Chief would also have better reflexes due to his augmentations and the much longer period of time he's had them and been able to hone them. 1v1 fight, obviously Master Chief wins (as seen in that awfully choreographed fight scene in H5).
And don't even get me started on the fight if neither of them had armor. Spartan IVs are useless out of their armor next to a Spartan II.
So yeah, there's my opinion :D
I would have to agree with Mlake1120, Locke is a very good soldier with years of experience and definitely knows what he is doing. IMO, Locke shouldn't be viewed as someone who is just downright incompetent and dumb due to be a Spartan IV, but when compared to John, there is really no competition, John has over 30 years of experience in basically every facet of warfare and was literally bred to be a soldier. If they went toe to toe with no augmentations or armor, even than I would say that John would still win, just due to his very extensive training. Locke should consider himself lucky that he didn't get killed by John in their fight (Even though John would never kill a fellow Spartan, within reason of course), but still I have to say that spartan IVs are extremely good at what they are doing as well. John's augmentations are just to much for Locke to handle, as the augmentations are superior to Spartan IV augmentations. If we are talking in terms mentally, I would still say John as he had a very thorough education during his training process and was selected due to him being a person who is 1 in billions, Locke, though, as well is still a very intelligent person. You don't just do what he does for ONI by being stupid. These are both very talented, smart and capable individuals.
John 100% everytime
Any situation in which Locke wins a 1v1 (as the Chief has had an absurd amount of experience in leading a group) would have to have been orchestrated and carefully planned out, well in advance. The only way I can think of Locke winning if dropped in completely cold, is if you gave him a Scattershot, an Energy Sword, and a Grenade Launcher, and maybe not even then. The only reason Locke stood a chance in H5 (as detailed in Bad Blood: Locke was canonically handed his own backside) is because John was going easy on him and because neither of them were actively trying to kill each other.
While I believe that Chief would generally come out on top, I do think people are undermining Locke's skill as well. Chief's been at this whole warfighting thing for quite a while and knows his stuff, absolutely, but Locke was specifically sent after Chief and Blue team because of his own skill and experience. He was noted as being a rather potent ONI agent, and further honed his skills upon induction into the Spartan-IV program.

Chief's had longer training and more years of experience, which sets him above Locke, but don't underestimate Locke's potential.
MLake1120 wrote:
Locke is a better investigator than John but something like that wouldn't be important or even needed by the Master Chief.
An acquisition specialist isn't a detective. Locke's more of a John Wick rather than a Sherlock Holmes.
Chief obviously.
But the fact that Locke was sent after Blue team should disprove the nonsensical notion that he's a scrub to Chief.
He's definitely on that general level.
Chief of course.
tL Armada wrote:
While I believe that Chief would generally come out on top, I do think people are undermining Locke's skill as well. Chief's been at this whole warfighting thing for quite a while and knows his stuff, absolutely, but Locke was specifically sent after Chief and Blue team because of his own skill and experience. He was noted as being a rather potent ONI agent, and further honed his skills upon induction into the Spartan-IV program.

Chief's had longer training and more years of experience, which sets him above Locke, but don't underestimate Locke's potential.
MLake1120 wrote:
Locke is a better investigator than John but something like that wouldn't be important or even needed by the Master Chief.
An acquisition specialist isn't a detective. Locke's more of a John Wick rather than a Sherlock Holmes.
Yeah, I understand that. I was more relating it to all the clue finding-like things you do as Locke did in game.
Even if Locke was John Wick, Wick wouldn't be able to stand against the nuclear blast that is the Master Chief.
John-117 all the way. He would absolutely destroy Locke.
MLake1120 wrote:
tL Armada wrote:
Yeah, I understand that. I was more relating it to all the clue finding-like things you do as Locke did in game.
Even if Locke was John Wick, Wick wouldn't be able to stand against the nuclear blast that is the Master Chief.
Perhaps I misinterpreted what you originally meant by investigator. I'd say it would definitely be something Chief, and Spartans in general, would find important, however. Putting the pieces together to fully understand one's quarry is a useful tool to employ.

I also wouldn't wager it to be such a major mismatch; the fight in Halo 5, while poorly choreographed, in essence showed us the match between the two. Chief would win, but certainly not by a landslide.
Locke should have more games centered around him to flush him out as a badass character but that should be done away from the masterchief the community need to stop comparing them to each other.
without a doubt Chief lol
Better in what way? If you're referring to a 1 on 1 fight, the Master Chief would most likely win.

If you're referring to who the better character is, that'd be Locke. Especially post-war, since he seems to hold no grudges and is good at approaching situations without having to fight.
I’m a little bothered that people still ask this question, especially because of the scene in Halo 5, when you simply just have to look at their stats with common sense. Locke isn’t a scrub compared to Chief, but Chief would be able to defeat him with not too much effort.
💯% master chief not only is he more experienced, raised as a soldier and has completed way more missions than Locke but his Augmentations are also more effective and better that a Spartan 4’s
Just like they said in the campaign. John 117 is THE spartan.
I’m shocked this is even a topic. Chief. No doubt.
Underneath that Spartan IV armor those guys are just normal ODST, ONI, or Marines. Locke was an amazing ONI soldier dealing with the things he has in his career at ONI, but he doesn't have any of the augmentations that chief has. I mean one of the augments chief got was to make his bones practically steel.
I’m a little bothered that people still ask this question, especially because of the scene in Halo 5, when you simply just have to look at their stats with common sense. Locke isn’t a scrub compared to Chief, but Chief would be able to defeat him with not too much effort.
It's like people need to reaffirm that their hero I still the best.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3