1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
tL Armada wrote:
While I believe that Chief would generally come out on top, I do think people are undermining Locke's skill as well. Chief's been at this whole warfighting thing for quite a while and knows his stuff, absolutely, but Locke was specifically sent after Chief and Blue team because of his own skill and experience. He was noted as being a rather potent ONI agent, and further honed his skills upon induction into the Spartan-IV program.

Chief's had longer training and more years of experience, which sets him above Locke, but don't underestimate Locke's potential.
Basically this. Also to add, Locke was even able to go 1v1 against an Elite Zealot and come out on top (ie. killing him), and that was before Spartan-IV augmentations.
Definitly John 117.
He was not playing around, when Locke said Cortana is his concern haha
John 117 is the old school super soldier that everyone roots for whereas Locke is an ONI assassin turned Spartan. One has to ask, is he really working as a Spartan or is he still ONI just implanted into the Spartan program as a spy? I'm John 117 all the way.
John 117 is the old school super soldier that everyone roots for whereas Locke is an ONI assassin turned Spartan. One has to ask, is he really working as a Spartan or is he still ONI just implanted into the Spartan program as a spy? I'm John 117 all the way.
I'd say Locke's conduct throughout Halo 5 proved his intentions. At multiple times he could have buckled from the various sources of contention, yet remained true to his cause.

Chief's sole purpose was to be absolutely subservient to ONI. The entire premise of the program he is a part of is unquestionable loyalty. He'd be more of a focusing point of 'ONI lapdog' than Locke, if we're going to be analytical.
Despite having seen the questionable fight between Locke and the Master Chief, even if it never came up, I believe Chief would always win. And there are more reasons for this other than "Chief is just a boss, you can't beat him" as well as a mindset against Locke as a shining character.

Going back through history to the day Dr. Halsey discovered him as a boy, we learn that John-117 has been gifted by the Librarian an incredible amount of luck. Something that just favors one person such as Lady Luck is often a hard to come by thing. It may also be seen as a cheap way to make a character immortal to anything (as many people have stated that Chief has bull**** levels of luck, even for him) without saying 'plot armor saves the day' or 'dev preference beats all'. We see this throughout his entire career as not only a Spartan Trainee but as a Super Soldier on the field. Ops that should have gone south are recoverable because he refuses to fail a mission. Blows that should have killed him just don't seem to land, even when it comes to Sword combat by experienced Sangheili or even the keen eyes and aim of sharpshooter Kig-Yar.

Let us not also forget the harsh training he had to go through with his 74 other Spartan Trainees that was as extensive as it was harsh and unforgiving. While we can't deny that Locke has most definitely gone through SOME form of combat training, it's very likely it was nothing near like what the Spartans had to go through as kids to teenagers. Not to play it off as though he has nowhere near the skills of a Spartan, the training he went through even to become a Spartan-IV was likely not nearly as harsh as the Spartan-II training by far. It doesn't take intensive training however, to make a well practiced combatant.

The Master Chief has a well forged family behind him always; this is something Locke will not have for some time if ever. The bond forged between John-117, Fred-104, Linda-058, and Kelly-087 is unlike any bond any other squad has ever formed. They work in tandem with each other because they know the precise limitations of each Spartan on the team. Linda can watch the back of Fred as he storms the flank while Kelly and John blast through another flank to cull enemies quickly on the field. Each one having a different skill set as well helps them out to help each other. This bond was formed over the decades of working both together and with other teams (whether Marines, ODST's, fellow 2's, 3's, and even 4's). Locke JUST formed with Osiris, they don't know each others limitations or overall specialties. They know what they are good at, but they don't know how to perfectly sync and coordinate flawlessly like Blue Team can. They're not experienced enough with each other (granted I know the fight was just between Chief and Locke, but still).

All of this considered, one final piece points to the fact that Chief would always just come out on top:

Any point in which Chief and Locke would fight would always be in a live combat scenario meaning that Chief would have likely abandoned the UNSC or at the very least disobeyed direct orders for the betterment of protecting humanity as that is all Chief would ever try to accomplish unless stated otherwise that he has rescinded from his overall objective as a Spartan Super Soldier. Meaning Locke would have volunteered to try and stop him from completing his task which would always fail because of the Librarian's initial gene implemented coding that dictates John can not lose while trying to complete his objective unless the objective therein is against what the Librarian planned to have happen.

(If anyone else knows anything that would canonly disagree with what I wrote, feel free to correct me. I am not the biggest Halo nerd here, I know this for a fact)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3