Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Colonial independence

OP SquareRigged

So, in the lore, it seems the insurrection in some form or another hasn't ended. Combined with a more complicated galaxy now (2559), should independence for the colonies be considered by the UNSC?

The struggle for independence and it's success is very important for a number of sovereign countries today. With that, is the insurrection a bad thing and is it a natural historical process? Would the continued fight by the UNSC and UEG be worth the cost?

Cheers,
Brad
Insurrectionists are literally traitors to their species and deserve a good glassing, change my mind.
I don't believe the UNSC have any choice in the matter. As the boundaries of where humans have colonised get further away from Earth and further away from the areas where it's practical for the UNSC to enforce loyalty to Earth, human colonies are going to exist that are independent of Earth. The possibility of humans migrating to worlds within former Covenant territories through joint colonisation also presents the situation of the UNSC not being able to police every human population out there eventually. There is nothing that the UNSC can do about this. The UNSC also has to contend with the further and ever ongoing cultural divergence between Earth and its colonies diminishing people's loyalty to Earth and sense that there is this all encompassing nation of humanity that they are part of. Issues of a blatantly corrupt government on Earth, and an uncaring and out of touch political elite that reside there certainly won't be helping matters, and will inevitable produce public resentment against them as fuel for secessionist movements. The infusion of powerful Covenant and Forerunner derived technologies into the Insurrection situation means that the civil conflict is going to start becoming increasingly more dangerous and destructive, and the UEG will have to ask if denying people a democratic right to withdraw from Earth rule is going to be worth the damage that will be caused in the coming decades.
I think it is really dependent on the planet. The only reason the UEG does not let these colonies suceed is because the UEG needs the revenue and the resources.
The Innies are extremists. I think it would be safe to say that a lot of people in the Outer colonies would feel like they’d prefer dependence but that doesn’t mean the average citiazen on those planets agrees with the tactics that the Insurectionists use.
I feel like the UEG would be more open with planets becoming independent of those planets would still retain good relations with them, but at that point they might as well stay.
Ive seen people compare the Innies to colonial militias during the American revolution. I don’t believe the two scenarios are remotely comparable. The colonial militias were fighting because they were being taxed aggregiosuly and they had no representation.
The Innie’s have representation, protection from the UNSC and fair taxes.

I feel like most colonies should be fine with staying in the UEG.
Independence means nothing in the grand scheme as once that colony realizes it cant defend itself adequately nor can it sustain its economy as every planet doesn't share the shame resources. Guess who it is going to turn to, its independent neighbors who are just as likely to extort them for whatever they're worth or the UNSC/UEG. The age old arguement of do they deserve independence or not isn't something that should be compared to the American Revolution even if the similarities are apparent. Earth is the cradle of humanity and nothing is going to change that until someone blows it up with a Nova Bomb and a lot of people are sentimentale about things like this.

Now I am not going into the argument of space politics as that is an entirely different discussion for another post. The real reason I don't support independence from the greater government as a whole is simply because a unified force is greater then its many parts. Say what you will about the merits of independence, but in the face of extinction. What good does it serve when those same fools inevitably come running to its bigger brother/neighbor for protection. One example is the HC War where the UNSC/UEG died fighting for HUMANITY as a whole while insurrectionists hid. Some fought sure but what good were they really as the aliens wanted to exterminate all of humanity.

Lastly my final reason is my favorite topic of all and it is the flood and the threat they posse. A backwater colony was the beginning of a 300 year long war that led to the bloodiest conflict in galactic history. A independent colony is the perfect place for a Flood resurgence in the galaxy and say hello to a tragic repeat of history. It doesn't fall to the UNSC/UEG to save them in the end and I'd rather wipe the colony off the face of the map if an outbreak was discovered regardless of it is morally right or not. One colony of idiots isn't more important then a galaxy and if that is the cost of independence. Then so be it as I am still waiting for the Flood's resurregence.
The UEG relies on several colonies for resources. For example, Harvest was the galactic bread basket for humanity, so even though it was the furthest away, it received a lot of UEG attention. The same can't be said for many smaller colonies, but to budge on one means the UEG provides an avenue for more important colonies to follow suit. Since the UEG can't afford to lose these more important colonies, then the need for unity will pretty much always outstrip the cost.

And to be honest, the Innies kept fighting the UEG (not all, but most) even in the face of extinction by the Covenant. What's to stop them from continuing their fight against the UEG after they gain independence? It would just create another competitor in the galaxy. So ultimately, the end result would be the same: more war. Sure they want independence now, but once they get it, they'll just want more.
I don't believe the UNSC have any choice in the matter. As the boundaries of where humans have colonised get further away from Earth and further away from the areas where it's practical for the UNSC to enforce loyalty to Earth, human colonies are going to exist that are independent of Earth. The possibility of humans migrating to worlds within former Covenant territories through joint colonisation also presents the situation of the UNSC not being able to police every human population out there eventually. There is nothing that the UNSC can do about this. The UNSC also has to contend with the further and ever ongoing cultural divergence between Earth and its colonies diminishing people's loyalty to Earth and sense that there is this all encompassing nation of humanity that they are part of. Issues of a blatantly corrupt government on Earth, and an uncaring and out of touch political elite that reside there certainly won't be helping matters, and will inevitable produce public resentment against them as fuel for secessionist movements. The infusion of powerful Covenant and Forerunner derived technologies into the Insurrection situation means that the civil conflict is going to start becoming increasingly more dangerous and destructive, and the UEG will have to ask if denying people a democratic right to withdraw from Earth rule is going to be worth the damage that will be caused in the coming decades.
This is the unfortunate truth.
Insurrectionists are literally traitors to their species and deserve a good glassing, change my mind.
This is the righteous truth. Burn the traitor! Revile the alien! Enslave the machine! One Humanity, One Destiny - manifest in our superiority, all others be beasts of burden as decreed by the Lord of the Universe.
Thanks all. My opinion isn't really dead set either pro or con. It was just a question I asked myself so I was interested in Waypointer opinions. You didn't disappoint.

Cheers,
Brad
Separation among the species would cause a weakening to the race as a whole, It isn't the best time for splitting