Cortana is not evil!!!!

OP Casityny

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
Cortana was blasted to Genesis (or somewhere else). Do you know what plague the Flood inflicted Mendicant with? They infected Cortana w/ that. In my opinion, Cortana is good/bad. Really, the only thing she does is try to end all the wars. I agree w/ Fred and what he told Chief about his opinion. What do you think?
I don't know man, I don't think you can consider Cortana, as she is now, good. She activated the Guardians and killed millions of people. When Master Chief asked her how many people had died, she didn't answer even though she knew; This leads me to think she still cares about what John-117 thinks, but not enough to not go through with her actions and plans to take on the Mantle of Responsibility. Her views seem an awful lot like tyranny, if you ask me. There are a lot of things that messed her up; I mean she was captured by the Gravemind, and she was going Rampant in Halo 4, but I think it was something in the Forerunner Domain that really changed something in her. I guess we will find out in the next one right?
I don't know man, I don't think you can consider Cortana, as she is now, good. She activated the Guardians and killed millions of people. When Master Chief asked her how many people had died, she didn't answer even though she knew; This leads me to think she still cares about what John-117 thinks, but not enough to not go through with her actions and plans to take on the Mantle of Responsibility. Her views seem an awful lot like tyranny, if you ask me. There are a lot of things that messed her up; I mean she was captured by the Gravemind, and she was going Rampant in Halo 4, but I think it was something in the Forerunner Domain that really changed something in her. I guess we will find out in the next one right?
Pretty sure when it restored her it also corrupted her personality and self in general.
Nah, she's evil, and the fact that it's left as a mystery is just another example of Halo 5's lazy writing.

Halsey was set up to be the villain, and Spartan Ops showed us the progression of events that led her to become a villain. But nope, she came back to the UNSC all buddy-buddy after the fist mission. No harsh feelings.
Without any significant explanation she became the most annoying type of evil, the self righteous AI who wants to fix, ergo control all organics.
It's really pathetic since her motives, logic, and previous personality are all in diametric contrast to who she is now.
Without any significant explanation she became the most annoying type of evil, the self righteous AI who wants to fix, ergo control all organics.
It's really pathetic since her motives, logic, and previous personality are all in diametric contrast to who she is now.
It's also a really, really generic sci-fi plot element.

Halsey had a deep, storied past and would have been a complex villain that the player could even sympathize with. But nope, Halsey isn't recognizable enough to the general non-Halo-playing masses and so Cortana being the villain would rake in more money.
Not to mention she clearly despized the Didact. Why take his example of how things should be run?

And why was none of this explained in Escalations?
The sad thing about this is I really did want Cortana back as the villain but as a broken rampant shell of herself doing an Andrew Ryan impersonation so that later we see she is real sympathetic figure and not the true enemy.
It's also a really, really generic sci-fi plot element.

Halsey had a deep, storied past and would have been a complex villain that the player could even sympathize with. But nope, Halsey isn't recognizable enough to the general non-Halo-playing masses and so Cortana being the villain would rake in more money.
Yeah, keyword of your post: generic. Seen, seen and seen again. It applies to so many things in this game unfortunately.
Cortana is definitely doing the right thing. Restoring forced order is still order. I played the game and was constantly frustrated I couldn't be on Cortana's side. The most unbelievable thing was the Domain existing (which was destroyed with the activation of the Halos, as it was a Precursor technology, and as such, was completely and irreversibly destroyed when the Halos fired. Also unbelievable is that humanity is millions of years behind forerunner tech, yet still manages to kill even one promethean. Forerunners are literally so far ahead I fully expect a single promethean to be able to take on at least 15 or 16 scorpion tanks supported by at least 10 pelicans at once without even losing 30% of his shields. I mean they built buildings which could go under the crust of a planet and come out the other end and ships which haven't collected a single iota of rust or damage in millenia of landslides and whatnot. I mean according to the books, Master Chief's armor was 6 times weaker than the minimum recommended skin to deal with flood, and that's assuming that's like what they wore to take a shower, much less full combat armor, which potentially was thousands of times more durable and effective than Mjolnir. Also, how is Johns team alive? They died.
You're right, killing a ton of innocent people and threatening to kill others simply for not following her vision is not evil at all! You know who else threatened to kill everybody who was different and not a part of his vision? Hitler.

No, Cortana is evil, and it's a terrible plot point. It would be better if she was infected by the Logic Plague (and honestly, it's the only explanation that would help me restore a bit of faith in 343i), but judging by Frankie's comments about us "not understanding subtlety", I feel like that's not the case. I mean, it would make too much sense. And even if that is it, they built it up so horribly and made a disaster of her coming back to life that it will still feel really bad.
What if she has two personalities now? Evil took over and locked good away in the subconscious, but Chief does something to make Good and Evil 2 seperate entities, the evil then proceeds to kill Chief and Good destroys both of them, so Cortana would be gone for good.
Pretty sure when it restored her it also corrupted her personality and self in general.
This is more or less what i have always thought. She had very damaged and fragmented and rampent parts of her that landed there, and all it did was stabilize her as she was. So again she IS cortana but a very mentally damaged one. it just stabalized a mess up version of her so to speak.
The Ur-Didact suffers from mental corruption brought on by exposure to the Gravemind and yet 343 still billed him as an ancient evil. Halsey arguably has a more morally conflicted background yet that didn't stop Brian Reed from calling her a monster and 343 approving a trilogy of books effectively calling her a Nazi. Why should Cortana be seen through a different lens? Hell, she's pretty evil in my book for the mass murder she's committed, betrayal and deception towards Chief in order to imprison him, continued threats of death and simply hearing the Galaxy for an all new war with at least the Grunts on her side and an army of robots and humans forcibly composed into AIs. She's not brining any real change to the Galaxy.
Hotrod192 wrote:
You're right, killing a ton of innocent people and threatening to kill others simply for not following her vision is not evil at all! You know who else threatened to kill everybody who was different and not a part of his vision? Hitler.

No, Cortana is evil, and it's a terrible plot point. It would be better if she was infected by the Logic Plague (and honestly, it's the only explanation that would help me restore a bit of faith in 343i), but judging by Frankie's comments about us "not understanding subtlety", I feel like that's not the case. I mean, it would make too much sense. And even if that is it, they built it up so horribly and made a disaster of her coming back to life that it will still feel really bad.
I used to think that too, until I started thinking of Mendicant Bias, and how he was corrupted by flood and resulted in the death of thousands of Forerunners.
The Ur-Didact suffers from mental corruption brought on by exposure to the Gravemind and yet 343 still billed him as an ancient evil. Halsey arguably has a more morally conflicted background yet that didn't stop Brian Reed from calling her a monster and 343 approving a trilogy of books effectively calling her a Nazi. Why should Cortana be seen through a different lens? Hell, she's pretty evil in my book for the mass murder she's committed, betrayal and deception towards Chief in order to imprison him, continued threats of death and simply hearing the Galaxy for an all new war with at least the Grunts on her side and an army of robots and humans forcibly composed into AIs. She's not brining any real change to the Galaxy.
I guess, but, like Fred said, "Sounds pretty good. Why would anyone rebel?"
This is more or less what i have always thought. She had very damaged and fragmented and rampent parts of her that landed there, and all it did was stabilize her as she was. So again she IS cortana but a very mentally damaged one. it just stabalized a mess up version of her so to speak.
I guess you can put it that way. I guess, It's like Papyrus forgot to cook Spahgetti. (I know I spelled it wrong)
Casityny wrote:
Note he said this before Cortana talked about punishing those who go against her. It's easy to say how good your system will theoretically be, but when you get into the nasty details to get there...one must ask if it's worth it. Sure, the Grunts joined up, but you think the resentment they felt in the Covenant days is gone? Now they have mechs and whatever else Cortana gives them. What's stopping them from undergoing a genocidal retribution against the Jackals for their attempts at sterilizing the Grunts all with Cortana's approval because the Jackals are not likely to join her because of their independent ways?
Casityny wrote:
Note he said this before Cortana talked about punishing those who go against her. It's easy to say how good your system will theoretically be, but when you get into the nasty details to get there...one must ask if it's worth it. Sure, the Grunts joined up, but you think the resentment they felt in the Covenant days is gone? Now they have mechs and whatever else Cortana gives them. What's stopping them from undergoing a genocidal retribution against the Jackals for their attempts at sterilizing the Grunts all with Cortana's approval because the Jackals are not likely to join her because of their independent ways?
OMG if cortana uses that, frick this poop im out. And yeah, the Kig-yar are DOOMED. Maybe, Jackals and Elites might be on our side for Halo 6! MORE PLAYABLE CHARACTERS!!!!!!! B) (Those are Sunglasses)
Casityny wrote:
Casityny wrote:
OMG if cortana uses that, frick this poop im out.
She murdered millions of people without any remorse, you think she'd really care about a subject species of her punishing a rebellious species in her name? Heck, what would rebellion even look like? What if simply politely refusing her offer for rule is enough for her to attack? Lives don't matter to her.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18