Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Cortana is not evil!!!!

OP Casityny

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 13
  4. 14
  5. 15
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. ...
  9. 18
cortana just wants everyone to be in peace there?
Pretty weird notion of peace when it involves doing things that don't create peace. How exactly, for example, do the development of Grunt mechs factor into peace? Seems Cortana's lackeys get to make weapons as much as they want.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point out the old saying that goes something like "if you want peace, prepare for war" or similar... and they'd have a fair enough point. Even the most peaceful nations still have and maintain armed forces for their own safety and security.

Of course making weapons is one thing, using them unprovoked, as we've been discussing at length... is quite another.
Sure, but you already see the Grunts believing themselves to be the elite now and would no doubt feel they have unsettled business with some species like the Jackals. Will Cortana stop them from going after them or does it help her clamp down on a species that might not be keen on her rule? How extensive will the Grunts be in their campaign? This is a powder keg and Cortana has the match really close to the fuse.
ChasCT2 wrote:
i think guilty spark uploded himself to another instalation before he died and found cortana in a weak and dying state and is now controling here
No, Spark is running around the galaxy looking for the Librarian in an ONI prowler he took control of.

Source, Halo Primordium.
ok thanks for the info
cortana just wants everyone to be in peace there?
Pretty weird notion of peace when it involves doing things that don't create peace. How exactly, for example, do the development of Grunt mechs factor into peace? Seems Cortana's lackeys get to make weapons as much as they want.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point out the old saying that goes something like "if you want peace, prepare for war" or similar... and they'd have a fair enough point. Even the most peaceful nations still have and maintain armed forces for their own safety and security.

Of course making weapons is one thing, using them unprovoked, as we've been discussing at length... is quite another.
Sure, but you already see the Grunts believing themselves to be the elite now and would no doubt feel they have unsettled business with some species like the Jackals. Will Cortana stop them from going after them or does it help her clamp down on a species that might not be keen on her rule? How extensive will the Grunts be in their campaign? This is a powder keg and Cortana has the match really close to the fuse.
Absolutely, it is a powder keg... of course, so was MC's psyche at the conclusion of Halo 4 and regardless of whether or not people loved or hated what happened with him and Cortana, the majority of the community held its collective breath in anticipation of how that would mold the events in H5. Specifically how it would affect Chief.

Maybe that's why he only got 4 missions in H5. Apparently the loss hit him so hard that he just couldn't show up for work. Oh wait, Fred's comment in their first mission about how Chief hadn't pushed himself that hard since training seems to contradict that...

I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if the powder keg barely gets addressed in the next game. Considering previous continuity... it could just end up a case of - light fuse, run away... far enough to never see the lights and barely hear the boom.
cortana just wants everyone to be in peace there?
Pretty weird notion of peace when it involves doing things that don't create peace. How exactly, for example, do the development of Grunt mechs factor into peace? Seems Cortana's lackeys get to make weapons as much as they want.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point out the old saying that goes something like "if you want peace, prepare for war" or similar... and they'd have a fair enough point. Even the most peaceful nations still have and maintain armed forces for their own safety and security.

Of course making weapons is one thing, using them unprovoked, as we've been discussing at length... is quite another.
Sure, but you already see the Grunts believing themselves to be the elite now and would no doubt feel they have unsettled business with some species like the Jackals. Will Cortana stop them from going after them or does it help her clamp down on a species that might not be keen on her rule? How extensive will the Grunts be in their campaign? This is a powder keg and Cortana has the match really close to the fuse.
Absolutely, it is a powder keg... of course, so was MC's psyche at the conclusion of Halo 4 and regardless of whether or not people loved or hated what happened with him and Cortana, the majority of the community held its collective breath in anticipation of how that would mold the events in H5. Specifically how it would affect Chief.

Maybe that's why he only got 4 missions in H5. Apparently the loss hit him so hard that he just couldn't show up for work. Oh wait, Fred's comment in their first mission about how Chief hadn't pushed himself that hard since training seems to contradict that...

I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if the powder keg barely gets addressed in the next game. Considering previous continuity... it could just end up a case of - light fuse, run away... far enough to never see the lights and barely hear the boom.
Less of a boom more of a pop.
Do you not see a difference between the nuclear destruction of Nagasaki and Hiroshima in an effort to prevent further loss of life in an invasion of mainland Japan and killing millions of people just to raise up the Guardians with no discernible effort to minimize the casulatites? Even the hope that billions more may be saved with the Guardians is moot when nobody had to die in the first place. Context is key people. When did the people of Meridian declare war on Cortana? When did anybody declare war on Cortana?
But the idea was that people will always kill each other. In the long run, cortina believe human nature will lead to more deaths than the one she cause. It's like a war to end all wars. Also isn't that also your point. The dropping of the bombs create fear that prevent the Japanese from attacking.
World War I was supposed to be the war to end all wars and we all know how that ended. Yet what about Cortana's plan suggests she'll be the one to break the cycle? Even the Japnese analogy falls apart when you consider the Imperial Japanese by 1945 were pushed back to Japan itself with no support for any Axis power and dwindling resources. It seems only sheer momentum was keeping then in the fight until the atomic bombings. Cortana has a whole galaxy to contend with and even if she managed to get total control, it only takes one determined for to weaken her. Humanity did that to the Forerunners and their imperialistic policies choking off development for other species helped break their rule when the Flood arrived. Cortana has everything working against her and it doesn't even look like she will make any lasting change. People will have died for nothing.
First off, the reason why ww1 exist is not to end war. That title is just use to describe the sheer intensity. Also we don't know if Cortana will succeed or not. If it fail, then yeah, meaningless death, but we just don't know yet. But that's the same for every violent conflict. If the Spartan program fail, meaningless death. Even then there was a small chance that the Spartans could even have any meaningful effects. They were just lucky, that Jon 117 was lucky enough to save humanity.
Actually, it was. There was a belief at that time that through positive social movements and order; war, murder, theft, and other negative human traits could be removed and humanity could live in a golden era of modernity and peace. They were dead wrong and millions died. The War to end all Wars was not just a title, but a goal. As a student of political science, I highly suggest looking up the geo-political and ideological beliefs of that era.
DarkNazo wrote:
So you believe going to war on false pretenses, assaulting and murdering political opponents and possible rivals, and genocide are all being good in the wrong way?
Well yes. He wanted to make the world a better place, but he didn't quite to it in the right way. I feel there's a misunderstanding here, but whatever.
DarkNazo wrote:
DarkNazo wrote:
So you believe going to war on false pretenses, assaulting and murdering political opponents and possible rivals, and genocide are all being good in the wrong way?
Well yes. He wanted to make the world a better place, but he didn't quite to it in the right way. I feel there's a misunderstanding here, but whatever.
Except he didn't want to make the world a better place, he wanted to make it a better place for his racist conceptions of superior human beings. Other people he considered inferior would be killed or enslaved. He was explicit about this goal. Learn some history, PLEASE.
DarkNazo wrote:
DarkNazo wrote:
So you believe going to war on false pretenses, assaulting and murdering political opponents and possible rivals, and genocide are all being good in the wrong way?
Well yes. He wanted to make the world a better place, but he didn't quite to it in the right way. I feel there's a misunderstanding here, but whatever.
Except he didn't want to make the world a better place, he wanted to make it a better place for his racist conceptions of superior human beings. Other people he considered inferior would be killed or enslaved. He was explicit about this goal. Learn some history, PLEASE.
Hitler was evil because 1)He killed millions because of their race/genetics. 2)no one event tried to stop him until it was way too late. A lot of people back then were content to put their heads in the sand.
DarkNazo wrote:
DarkNazo wrote:
So you believe going to war on false pretenses, assaulting and murdering political opponents and possible rivals, and genocide are all being good in the wrong way?
Well yes. He wanted to make the world a better place, but he didn't quite to it in the right way. I feel there's a misunderstanding here, but whatever.
Except he didn't want to make the world a better place, he wanted to make it a better place for his racist conceptions of superior human beings. Other people he considered inferior would be killed or enslaved. He was explicit about this goal. Learn some history, PLEASE.
I feel like someone is being hostile here. Possibly doesn't understand the point I'm not even trying to make, hm? I'm not saying he was good. I'm saying he was good in his own eyes.
DarkNazo wrote:
DarkNazo wrote:
DarkNazo wrote:
So you believe going to war on false pretenses, assaulting and murdering political opponents and possible rivals, and genocide are all being good in the wrong way?
Well yes. He wanted to make the world a better place, but he didn't quite to it in the right way. I feel there's a misunderstanding here, but whatever.
Except he didn't want to make the world a better place, he wanted to make it a better place for his racist conceptions of superior human beings. Other people he considered inferior would be killed or enslaved. He was explicit about this goal. Learn some history, PLEASE.
I feel like someone is being hostile here. Possibly doesn't understand the point I'm not even trying to make, hm? I'm not saying he was good. I'm saying he was good in his own eyes.
But you said Cortana is good in the wrong way. Then when someone asked if Hitler was good in the right way, you said of course. Seems your point is just a poor one rather than a lack of understanding by anybody.
DarkNazo wrote:
DarkNazo wrote:
DarkNazo wrote:
So you believe going to war on false pretenses, assaulting and murdering political opponents and possible rivals, and genocide are all being good in the wrong way?
Well yes. He wanted to make the world a better place, but he didn't quite to it in the right way. I feel there's a misunderstanding here, but whatever.
Except he didn't want to make the world a better place, he wanted to make it a better place for his racist conceptions of superior human beings. Other people he considered inferior would be killed or enslaved. He was explicit about this goal. Learn some history, PLEASE.
I feel like someone is being hostile here. Possibly doesn't understand the point I'm not even trying to make, hm? I'm not saying he was good. I'm saying he was good in his own eyes.
But you said Cortana is good in the wrong way. Then when someone asked if Hitler was good in the right way, you said of course. Seems your point is just a poor one rather than a lack of understanding by anybody.
*facepalm* Whatever.
Those were your words, if you meant something different it is on you to clarify what you meant. Saying someone is good but in the wrong way is pretty unambiguous. But if you have something else in mind, present your argument. All I'd say is that thinking you aren't evil in your own eyes doesn't cut it after committing terrible acts. In Cortana's case, how does murdering innocent people contribute to anything good? It doesn't. Same with threatening composing on any dissenters, more so when she dosn't clarify what dissent means.
I kinda see where he's coming from. When MC refused Del Rio's order to hand over Cortana in Halo 4 to Del Rio he was wrong/evil but at the end of the game because of MC actions Del Rio's argument was ignored and MC was declared a hero. Cortana's actions that cost the lives of thousands if not millions do look evil but the final verdict will be given when all is said and done.
There's a significant difference between disobeying orders and needlessly killing millions.
I kinda see where he's coming from. When MC refused Del Rio's order to hand over Cortana in Halo 4 to Del Rio he was wrong/evil but at the end of the game because of MC actions Del Rio's argument was ignored and MC was declared a hero. Cortana's actions that cost the lives of thousands if not millions do look evil but the final verdict will be given when all is said and done.
This is completely ridiculous. Those two things are not even remotely comparable. At all. The Chief didn't callously murder anyone just to try and get his way in 'Halo 4'. There is simply //no excuse// for Cortana taking the lives of so many innocent people for literally no reason other than she just didn't care. Nothing can possibly justify that. And trying to claim otherwise is really messed up.
I kinda see where he's coming from. When MC refused Del Rio's order to hand over Cortana in Halo 4 to Del Rio he was wrong/evil but at the end of the game because of MC actions Del Rio's argument was ignored and MC was declared a hero. Cortana's actions that cost the lives of thousands if not millions do look evil but the final verdict will be given when all is said and done.
I don't think the connection is a logical one. Cortana was past her service date and just had a rampant episode right in front of Del Rio that could endanger the Infinity. Now, he was a -Yoink-, but that was UNSC protocol to dispose of AIs in that manner. Is that a good policy? Debatable, but hardly evil when he did it because Cortana posed a danger.

As as for the notion that in the end decides whether or not an act was evil, had someone like Hitler succeeded would you still consider his world good? I'd be built on the skeletons of millions, it'd be highly authoritarian, but it could be peaceful. Are we fine with genocide and mass murder and restrictions on people liberties of it means security? That's the ultimate outcome of Cortana's rule, of course we can probably guess the Created's rule isn't going to last.

Personally I'd love to know why 343 wants us to have a problem with Halsey's sacrifice of the few for the many while merely shrug our shoulders at Cortana's on such a larger scale.
There's a significant difference between disobeying orders and needlessly killing millions.
I know they're different, what i'm saying is that MC disobeyed a direct order and was facing arrest if not a courtmartial later on. But he was given slack because of his record and he was successful in stopping the threat. Does that mean Cortana will get the same treatment I don't think so. But if you stop and look at there actions alone despite the difference they were both wrong and as it was MC actions after his refusal that saved his career what happens in Halo 6 will decide Cortana's fate.
Until I know the truth, or at the very least until the graphic novel comes out i will not call Cortana evil. Sick, possibly. Wrong, getting very warm. But not evil. Not yet.
Until I know the truth, or at the very least until the graphic novel comes out i will not call Cortana evil. Sick, possibly. Wrong, getting very warm. But not evil. Not yet.
And yet neither of those things stopped the Didact from being openly labeled as AN ANCIENT EVIL did they? So why does Cortana get a pass? Also if 343i had a legitimately good reason for Cortnana to not be considered evil, they should have put it in the game - not in a comic releasing over a year later.
Until I know the truth, or at the very least until the graphic novel comes out i will not call Cortana evil. Sick, possibly. Wrong, getting very warm. But not evil. Not yet.
And yet neither of those things stopped the Didact from being openly labeled as AN ANCIENT EVIL did they? So why does Cortana get a pass? Also if 343i had a legitimately good reason for Cortnana to not be considered evil, they should have put it in the game - not in a comic releasing over a year later.
As far as i know all they did was lock him up and look at all the good it did him. As for 343i reason, until I see otherwise I chalk it up to poor writing. Isn't the Mantel suppose to protect life maybe MC has to find a way to stop Cortana without killing her to pass the test. Good luck Master Chief. As they say 'Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.'
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 13
  4. 14
  5. 15
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. ...
  9. 18