1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 14
  4. 15
  5. 16
  6. 17
  7. ...
  8. 18
Until I know the truth, or at the very least until the graphic novel comes out i will not call Cortana evil. Sick, possibly. Wrong, getting very warm. But not evil. Not yet.
And yet neither of those things stopped the Didact from being openly labeled as AN ANCIENT EVIL did they? So why does Cortana get a pass? Also if 343i had a legitimately good reason for Cortnana to not be considered evil, they should have put it in the game - not in a comic releasing over a year later.
As far as i know all they did was lock him up and look at all the good it did him. As for 343i reason, until I see otherwise I chalk it up to poor writing. Isn't the Mantel suppose to protect life maybe MC has to find a way to stop Cortana without killing her to pass the test. Good luck Master Chief.
That might be the philosophy, but given the creators seemed to have no problem killing off an entire species because they didn't measure up to their arbitrary convictions, I don't see the good of the Mantle. Every species whose tried to uphold it in actuality or in a similar system bring about abuses that lead to its downfall. Precursor, Forerunner, Covenant, UEG, the Created won't differ. Besides, what if stopping a threat through killing IS to protect life?
Until I know the truth, or at the very least until the graphic novel comes out i will not call Cortana evil. Sick, possibly. Wrong, getting very warm. But not evil. Not yet.
And yet neither of those things stopped the Didact from being openly labeled as AN ANCIENT EVIL did they? So why does Cortana get a pass? Also if 343i had a legitimately good reason for Cortnana to not be considered evil, they should have put it in the game - not in a comic releasing over a year later.
As far as i know all they did was lock him up and look at all the good it did him. As for 343i reason, until I see otherwise I chalk it up to poor writing. Isn't the Mantel suppose to protect life maybe MC has to find a way to stop Cortana without killing her to pass the test. Good luck Master Chief.
That might be the philosophy, but given the creators seemed to have no problem killing off an entire species because they didn't measure up to their arbitrary convictions, I don't see the good of the Mantle. Every species whose tried to uphold it in actuality or in a similar system bring about abuses that lead to its downfall. Precursor, Forerunner, Covenant, UEG, the Created won't differ. Besides, what if stopping a threat through killing IS to protect life?
For me killing someone who may or may not be of sound mind can not be taken lightly. If its because of imminent death or one or many then yes. If there is absolutely possitively no other way then yes. But even after Vader threatened to turn Leia to the dark side and after Luke then kicked Vaders butt he refused to kill him out of hate if at all.
I just find it odd how Cortana killing innocents is just shrugged off because she MIGHT do good yet killing Cortana is something to not take lightly. She already demonstrated no remorse over this and will keep doing it. Her being of no sound mind just tells me she needs to be eliminated quickly if it prevents more undue bloodshed.
I just find it odd how Cortana killing innocents is just shrugged off because she MIGHT do good yet killing Cortana is something to not take lightly. She already demonstrated no remorse over this and will keep doing it. Her being of no sound mind just tells me she needs to be eliminated quickly if it prevents more undue bloodshed.
There are two quotes that come to mind. First "When in darkness one cannot see what one doing or where one is going without a light. -Aynominous". The second from a wise old wizard, "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it.... My heart tells me that he has some part to play yes, for good or ill, before the end; and when that comes, the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many..." Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring.
No she's just a crazy old AI.
No she's just a crazy old AI.
Just like Gollum was crazy and VERY old. Well at least she doesn't walk all hunched over and calling Master Chief her 'precious'.
Thing is, as far as I know, Gollum stuck to himself after being corrupted by the One Ring and didn't exactly strike out to kill people for no reason. Cortana is indiscriminately killing innocent people without remorse and threatens to continue doing so. In the end, Frodo didn't have the luxury of conversation to try to reason with Gollum when he attacked and Gollum plunged to his death. Chief isn't likely to have a chance to talk with Cortana either. That's the problem I have with this idea that Chief just has to talk to her and work things out. If we are dealing with the Logic Plague, for example, a five minute cutscene pep talk isn't going to fix whatever is wrong with Cortana. Not everybody can be saved and if her death prevents more bloodshed, Chief is probably going to kill her. Or better yet have Locke do it since he does not share a relationship with Cortana.
Thing is, as far as I know, Gollum stuck to himself after being corrupted by the One Ring and didn't exactly strike out to kill people for no reason. Cortana is indiscriminately killing innocent people without remorse and threatens to continue doing so. In the end, Frodo didn't have the luxury of conversation to try to reason with Gollum when he attacked and Gollum plunged to his death. Chief isn't likely to have a chance to talk with Cortana either. That's the problem I have with this idea that Chief just has to talk to her and work things out. If we are dealing with the Logic Plague, for example, a five minute cutscene pep talk isn't going to fix whatever is wrong with Cortana. Not everybody can be saved and if her death prevents more bloodshed, Chief is probably going to kill her. Or better yet have Locke do it since he does not share a relationship with Cortana.
Gollum murdered his best friend to get the ring. The ring had a corrupting power that turned him into that pitiful wretch. The Domain gave Cortana immense power. How it corrupted her is unknown. But after she was 'fixed' by it she started on her plan to bring piece to the galaxy by force. Cortana has the sum of human knowledge she should know better. In the episodes 'Descent part 1 and 2 Lore, Data's brother gave him something he always wanted 'emotions'. With these 'emotions' Lore turned Data against the Enterprise. If it wasn't for Data's best friend appealing to his morality and ethics Data would have killed Geordi. Now i know Data didn't kill millions, but even at the threat if immenate death looming over him and everyone Geordi and the crew still persisted. If its the millions that were killed by Cortana that is giving you problems of MC still trying to save Cortana think when Picard was a Borg and how many people he killed. His friends didn't give up on saving him even though they were ready to kill him to thr Borg. I want to see what lengths MC will go through to save Cortana without mudering people. To find out what exactly corrupted Cortana and stop it without just 'Blam' shooting her at first chance. When the ring was destroyed Frodo was free from the rings corrupting power. But he wasn't the same. Even though Gollum knew destroying the ring would save him he knew he would die so afterwards and tried to stop them.
I'm aware Gollum killed his friend, but he didn't go on a killing spree either. Can't comment about Star Trek since I'm not familiar with it. It's fine to want to see MC make every effort he can to try and save Cortana, but he did give her a chance and we saw that she was not going to listen and planned to imprison him from the start. Consider if we are dealing with something like the Logic Plague, you think that can be resolved in a cutscene or two? It took Mendicant Bias 100,000 years to work past his issues and the Didact had the same time and he was still corrupted. Further, if Cortana has the LP, that makes her a vector that could spread it to other AIs. You couple that with her remorseless killing of people and her determination to oppress others to preserve her "peace", she presents a clear and present danger that may not give the MC time to work things out. You don't always have a chance to save somebody.

Having everything affecting Cortana solved in a game would be ridiculously cheap when we know no other character would have gotten the same treatment.
I'm aware Gollum killed his friend, but he didn't go on a killing spree either. Can't comment about Star Trek since I'm not familiar with it. It's fine to want to see MC make every effort he can to try and save Cortana, but he did give her a chance and we saw that she was not going to listen and planned to imprison him from the start. Consider if we are dealing with something like the Logic Plague, you think that can be resolved in a cutscene or two? It took Mendicant Bias 100,000 years to work past his issues and the Didact had the same time and he was still corrupted. Further, if Cortana has the LP, that makes her a vector that could spread it to other AIs. You couple that with her remorseless killing of people and her determination to oppress others to preserve her "peace", she presents a clear and present danger that may not give the MC time to work things out. You don't always have a chance to save somebody.

Having everything affecting Cortana solved in a game would be ridiculously cheap when we know no other character would have gotten the same treatment.
If they do go the redemption arc with Cortana it can't be done in one game. In Star Wars while Luke and the other were off to find Han the Empire was still doing its dirty work. At least a year went by between the two movies. There is no magical off switch that MC can use to stop Cortana so it can't be done fast. Killing Cortana isn't going to make her screw up go away. In Full Metal Alchemist it took Edward years to restore his brother Al to his body and no his mistake didn't cost the lives of millions. If you haven't seen the anime Edwards and Al's mother died of an illness. Edward wanted to bring her back using alchemy. Al wasn't to sure on the idea but believed in his smart brother. Anyway they made a mistake which cost Al his body and transfomed their mom into a grotesque mishapen monster. Heres the video link www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mtb1jrL_Qs sorry its in subtitles. Edward had good intentions, imean if given a chance who wouldn't want to bring a loved one back to life. But what they did was taboo/illegal and when they were found out did the government go head and kill him for his illegal act? No. Years later when Ninas father transmuted his daughter into a chimera and Edward wanted to kill him, very badly i might add, he did not. Killing Cortana isn't going to make the problem go away. Even Roland doesn't think its fair to discard Cortana just because she 'didn't die like she was suppoed to.' His veiw of Cortana probably changed at the end of the game, he thinks that her actions aren't the root of the problem. There no quick way to fix this. Might as well take the time to do it right. Killing her might make her a martyr.
I believe she is
Cloudistic wrote:
I believe she is
A martyr already? How so?
Cloudistic wrote:
I believe she is
I mean you have to suffer for the sake of your principles but would that only apply if you are actually right and not brainwashed or mentally ill?
Cloudistic wrote:
I believe she is
Well for starters there's the fact that she slaughtered people without any signs of penitence.
Cloudistic wrote:
Cloudistic wrote:
I believe she is
Well for starters there's the fact that she slaughtered people without any signs of penitence.
A martyr is someone who is innocent of any crime but is put to death or dies because of their faith and beliefs. If you are referring to Cortana in Halo 4 then yes she died for her belief in MC. But the Cortana in Halo 5... the jury is still out on that.
Hey join my company i just did it today so it would be cool to have people in my company. Feel free to join.D3adly SpArTaNs
She is controlling every A.I.s, then uses the Guardian to shut down all electronic system, so all the defenses are down, ships cant attack back. Cortana is the new enemy. If Dr Halsey can figure out a way to reboot her or re-program her to shut down all Guardians. As of now she is our new enemy until there's a way to save her.
Hey join my company i just did it today so it would be cool to have people in my company. Feel free to join.D3adly SpArTaNs
No body cares because you are in the completely wrong forum. If anything, you're going to make them not join.
She is controlling every A.I.s, then uses the Guardian to shut down all electronic system, so all the defenses are down, ships cant attack back. Cortana is the new enemy. If Dr Halsey can figure out a way to reboot her or re-program her to shut down all Guardians. As of now she is our new enemy until there's a way to save her.
I agree.
I have just finished reading the new Halo book Halo Fractures, and my conclusion on is Cortana evil is this. It doesn't matter at this point. In the book Fractures Bornesteller and a few other Forerunners were assaulted by an A.I. representing the Domain. Now this story takes place after the Halo array was fired during the Mendicant Bias story. the A.I. (who was not Mendicant Bias by the way) accused and condemned them of breaking the Prime Directive of the Domain and the Mantel which states "In every natural circumstance, living things engage in competition. This is a prime directive for those who uphold the Mantle: it is not a kindness to diminish competition, predation – even war.
Life presents strife and death as well as joy and birth." Halo: Cryptum. Now in Halo 5 Cortana is doing the exact same thing the Forerunners did. We learn from Halo 5 that the Mantel is burned not destroyed so if it heals to be as it was during the Forerunner era, it will notbe happy with Cortana and the Created. In essence she is screwed.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 14
  4. 15
  5. 16
  6. 17
  7. ...
  8. 18