OP Casityny

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 15
  4. 16
  5. 17
  6. ...
  7. 18
I think that she likely as being corrupted by either the flood or the didact. Both would make sense , but I think that the didact would work better because we havent got much of him yet and it would make sense that he is behind Cortana's new behavior. Many of the things she says are almost identical to some of his words .
I think that she likely as being corrupted by either the flood or the didact. Both would make sense , but I think that the didact would work better because we havent got much of him yet and it would make sense that he is behind Cortana's new behavior. Many of the think she says are almost identical to some of his words .
There is a little know fact that some Forerunners can leave a part of themselves, an imprint if you will, in there tech to help them use it better. It could be as Cortana and the remains of the Diadacts ship with his imprint attached itslf to her in her damaged state and she's now an amalgan of Diadact and Cortana and not know it.
I know there hasn't been any activity in this thread for a few days, but I thought this would be the best place to share this. Haruspis' take on how to make Cortana not evil in Halo 5, and it's brilliant!
I know there hasn't been any activity in this thread for a few days, but I thought this would be the best place to share this. Haruspis' take on how to make Cortana not evil in Halo 5, and it's brilliant!
Thank you for posting that! I hadn't checked Haruspis' blog for a couple weeks.

As usual he's bloody brilliant. Hire this man 343. He actually found a way to leave H5 99% the same and make it also palatable.

Along with the the shoutout to Greenleaf as well! (Who I did not realize is a she and I believe I once called a he - sorry about that!)
Yup, that'd definitely have improved my view of Halo 5, and cortana.
Thank you for posting that! I hadn't checked Haruspis' blog for a couple weeks.

As usual he's bloody brilliant. Hire this man 343. He actually found a way to leave H5 99% the same and make it also palatable.

Along with the the shoutout to Greenleaf as well! (Who I did not realize is a she and I believe I once called a he - sorry about that!)
Thanks. :) But yeah, it really wouldn't have been hard at all for 343i to make a truly "not-evil" Cortana if they had just, you know, tried.
Yeah, that's why it's so odd to see them defend her in interviews, given that the game they produced (and seemingly wrote) seems to go out of its way to make her evil.
CORTANA IS EVIL!!!!
in about three games we discover whether it is evil or not
i think she is under the control of the domain and basically is not herself, but just an embodiment
Bamic2448 wrote:
i think she is under the control of the domain and basically is not herself, but just an embodiment
Finally, someone who understands
Except fractures confired the domains idea of the mantle is not at all what cortana/the forerunners thought it was
Casityny wrote:
Bamic2448 wrote:
Finally, someone who understands
It really isn't that hard to figure out either. Her personality, zeal, even the particulars of her dialogue, all positively scream Logic Plague. "There is peace in subjugation" is something Plague'd AIs would say during the Forerunner Flood war. She is using, word for word, the exact same justification that the Gravemind uses to try and get John to submit (there will be no more sadness, no more envy, etc.). It does bother me still that Cortana isn't dead, but that can very easily be explained as The Domain's near godlike influence, and that it is using Cortana as a means to test mankind. I am not wholly convinced that the Flood is even returning at this point, it seems to me that the Created are the Precursor test, at least for now.

Cortana isn't evil. She genuinely believes that what she is doing is the right path because she sees only the cold logic of the Mantle. Just like the Precursors envisioned it. But she is, evidently, an unwitting pawn in the Domain's game.
Yeah, that's why it's so odd to see them defend her in interviews, given that the game they produced (and seemingly wrote) seems to go out of its way to make her evil.
I still simply don't get that. The game itself, and now some of the ancillary material like Mythos, really does not seem to be very ambiguous about portraying the Created as very much in the wrong. And yet we have the interviews...
Because Frankie was right and apparently no one understands what subtlety and nuance are. She is portrayed on a surface level as being evil, but if you actually think about it you can see how her intentions are inherently not-evil. She is just going about it very wrong. I feel like it is pretty obvious in the game, but most people for some reason cant get past "She's not on our side so she must be EVIL!"
Clearly what she is doing is wrong, but she is in tat moral grey area where her intentions are not necessarily bad or wrong.
Because Frankie was right and apparently no one understands what subtlety and nuance are. She is portrayed on a surface level as being evil, but if you actually think about it you can see how her intentions are inherently not-evil. She is just going about it very wrong. I feel like it is pretty obvious in the game, but most people for some reason cant get past "She's not on our side so she must be EVIL!"
Clearly what she is doing is wrong, but she is in tat moral grey area where her intentions are not necessarily bad or wrong.
No, he's not right. Mr. O'Connor is a proven liar and has said many, many ridiculous and false things this past year or so - and he knows it. He was just trying to defend the product against (warranted) criticism so as not to lose out on his paycheck.

There is NO "subtlety and nuance" in 'Halo 5'. Her intentions are exactly what they appear to be on all levels - enforce a totalitarian regime based on fear, threats of violence, and racist dogma (a.k.a. The Mantle). She's killed millions of innocent people for literally no reason. And not only that, she also purposefully lied to, manipulated, and abused former friends and allies to suit her own twisted plans. That is not "morally gray". That is evil. It was evil when the Prophets did it, it was evil when the Didact did it, and it is evil now. She is no different than any other villain we've had in Halo up to this point.
No, he's not right. Mr. O'Connor is a proven liar and has said many, many ridiculous and false things this past year or so - and he knows it. He was just trying to defend the product against (warranted) criticism so as not to lose out on his paycheck.

There is NO "subtlety and nuance" in 'Halo 5'. Her intentions are exactly what they appear to be on all levels - enforce a totalitarian regime based on fear, threats of violence, and racist dogma (a.k.a. The Mantle). She's killed millions of innocent people for literally no reason. And not only that, she also purposefully lied to, manipulated, and abused former friends and allies to suit her own twisted plans. That is not "morally gray". That is evil. It was evil when the Prophets did it, it was evil when the Didact did it, and it is evil now. She is no different than any other villain we've had in Halo up to this point.
Wow... Triggered....

Whatever you say man, clearly no changing your mind
The families of the millions of innocents that she casually knocked out of the way just activating her weapons (which she did not in any way have to kill - she could have evacuated and warned them if she chose, but they weren't worth the effort to her) don't care what her good intentions are.

And it may be just a video game, but fictional stories have a powerful ability to preach messages that people will actually listen to. Which is why the creators of those stories need to be very careful with them.
The families of the millions of innocents that she casually knocked out of the way just activating her weapons (which she did not in any way have to kill - she could have evacuated and warned them if she chose, but they weren't worth the effort to her) don't care what her good intentions are.

And it may be just a video game, but fictional stories have a powerful ability to preach messages that people will actually listen to. Which is why the creators of those stories need to be very careful with them.
^Speaks great truth. I wonder how many clichéd sayings people will just nonchalantly throw under the bus to defend someone they've become attached to... or better yet perhaps... someone who has done something that is inexplicably out of character a la poor writing?

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions". That simple statement speaks volumes that people just seem to toss in the trash. I mean, even Forrest Gump understood what Mama meant when she said "Stupid is as stupid does," Replace stupid with evil and the concept remains. Powerful statements that have stood the test of time and they've done so because "Actions speak louder than words".

I threw this challenge out here once before and I'll do it again. Take it seriously, there's no sense bothering if it's taken with the attitude of "Meh, fine, I'll play along".

Imagine your entire family and circle of friends live in one region. They were all home except for you. For some reason, you were off planet when one of Cortana's guardians activated. Imagine everyone you ever loved or knew were gone, just like that. Imagine visiting them at a mass grave. Maybe it's just a memorial, since likely their bodies may never be found. Know that their deaths were likely horrific. Buried in collapsing structures, crushed by falling debris, shot down by Prometheans while simply trying to escape. Stand in front of them and explain how Cortana is "not evil". Use all the standby arguments like "not really... she has good intentions" - Tell them "It's possible she's just sick... or defective, we don't really know". Close your eyes, run your fingers over their engraved names and say to them "She's not really evil, she's actually trying to do the right thing... just in the wrong way".

Now ask them if it matters what her intentions were. Ask them if they feel better now, knowing she didn't really mean it. Do let me know if you ever get an answer from the silence.

It's not about intent, it's about impact. Impact is tangible. Intent is worthless in comparison and it can be lied about, manipulated and made up as it goes.

^Speaks great truth. I wonder how many clichéd sayings people will just nonchalantly throw under the bus to defend someone they've become attached to... or better yet perhaps... someone who has done something that is inexplicably out of character a la poor writing?

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions". That simple statement speaks volumes that people just seem to toss in the trash. I mean, even Forrest Gump understood what Mama meant when she said "Stupid is as stupid does," Replace stupid with evil and the concept remains. Powerful statements that have stood the test of time and they've done so because "Actions speak louder than words".

I threw this challenge out here once before and I'll do it again. Take it seriously, there's no sense bothering if it's taken with the attitude of "Meh, fine, I'll play along".

Imagine your entire family and circle of friends live in one region. They were all home except for you. For some reason, you were off planet when one of Cortana's guardians activated. Imagine everyone you ever loved or knew were gone, just like that. Imagine visiting them at a mass grave. Maybe it's just a memorial, since likely their bodies may never be found. Know that their deaths were likely horrific. Buried in collapsing structures, crushed by falling debris, shot down by Prometheans while simply trying to escape. Stand in front of them and explain how Cortana is "not evil". Use all the standby arguments like "not really... she has good intentions" - Tell them "It's possible she's just sick... or defective, we don't really know". Close your eyes, run your fingers over their engraved names and say to them "She's not really evil, she's actually trying to do the right thing... just in the wrong way".

Now ask them if it matters what her intentions were. Ask them if they feel better now, knowing she didn't really mean it. Do let me know if you ever get an answer from the silence.

It's not about intent, it's about impact. Impact is tangible. Intent is worthless in comparison and it can be lied about, manipulated and made up as it goes.
Fantastic. Well said.

Is every world leader evil then? There have been numerous civilian casualties, unintended, in many wars, including the current US war in the middle east? Does that make Barack Obama, George Bush, or any of the US generals inherently evil? (please don't take this into an extremely political realm, merely an example). Im sure scenes like what you're describing have happened in countless wars. Or do you think they only happened when Hitler or Stalin were on the other side?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 15
  4. 16
  5. 17
  6. ...
  7. 18