2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 18
Casityny wrote:
Casityny wrote:
The Ur-Didact suffers from mental corruption brought on by exposure to the Gravemind and yet 343 still billed him as an ancient evil. Halsey arguably has a more morally conflicted background yet that didn't stop Brian Reed from calling her a monster and 343 approving a trilogy of books effectively calling her a Nazi. Why should Cortana be seen through a different lens? Hell, she's pretty evil in my book for the mass murder she's committed, betrayal and deception towards Chief in order to imprison him, continued threats of death and simply hearing the Galaxy for an all new war with at least the Grunts on her side and an army of robots and humans forcibly composed into AIs. She's not brining any real change to the Galaxy.
I guess, but, like Fred said, "Sounds pretty good. Why would anyone rebel?"
Note he said this before Cortana talked about punishing those who go against her. It's easy to say how good your system will theoretically be, but when you get into the nasty details to get there...one must ask if it's worth it. Sure, the Grunts joined up, but you think the resentment they felt in the Covenant days is gone? Now they have mechs and whatever else Cortana gives them. What's stopping them from undergoing a genocidal retribution against the Jackals for their attempts at sterilizing the Grunts all with Cortana's approval because the Jackals are not likely to join her because of their independent ways?
OMG if cortana uses that, frick this poop im out.
She murdered millions of people without any remorse, you think she'd really care about a subject species of her punishing a rebellious species in her name? Heck, what would rebellion even look like? What if simply politely refusing her offer for rule is enough for her to attack? Lives don't matter to her.
OMG I'M scared now. Then Cortana kills me and I'm like CORTANAAAAA I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENNNNNNDDDDSS!!!!
For that will be decided by 343 industries but apparently if they want to return the evil antagonist
Yeah, they said that for the most of the Dictators
Cortana is a Halsey clone more or less, and she's acting exactly like Halsey.
Halsey didn't outright murder millions of people and threaten death on anybody who opposed her.
See here is my theory, and this is something i've had since Halo 4. See I predicted that you would be dealing with a Cortana in Halo 5.

Why you may ask. It's simple. Replay the final fight with the Didact. You will notice that Cortana splits herself to hundreds of copies of her split personalities.

And one of those personalities are what you are dealing with in Halo 5.

For you see. I believe the Cortana who rescued you is dead. Using the last of her energy to get you off the ship. But all the others got flung into space.

One you deal with, and another that took control of a Halo ring you see at the end of the legendary ending.
Cortana is definitely doing the right thing. Restoring forced order is still order. I played the game and was constantly frustrated I couldn't be on Cortana's side. The most unbelievable thing was the Domain existing (which was destroyed with the activation of the Halos, as it was a Precursor technology, and as such, was completely and irreversibly destroyed when the Halos fired. Also unbelievable is that humanity is millions of years behind forerunner tech, yet still manages to kill even one promethean. Forerunners are literally so far ahead I fully expect a single promethean to be able to take on at least 15 or 16 scorpion tanks supported by at least 10 pelicans at once without even losing 30% of his shields. I mean they built buildings which could go under the crust of a planet and come out the other end and ships which haven't collected a single iota of rust or damage in millenia of landslides and whatnot. I mean according to the books, Master Chief's armor was 6 times weaker than the minimum recommended skin to deal with flood, and that's assuming that's like what they wore to take a shower, much less full combat armor, which potentially was thousands of times more durable and effective than Mjolnir. Also, how is Johns team alive? They died.
You are fighting a bunch of Forerunner support units in halo 5. Having strong weapons and armour doesn't mean they are imprevious to impact by kinetic weapons. Also Prometheans in halo 5 don't have shields for some reason. What is more blue team never died. They've been in the lore since day one and we know their entire journey until 2558.
See here is my theory, and this is something i've had since Halo 4. See I predicted that you would be dealing with a Cortana in Halo 5.

Why you may ask. It's simple. Replay the final fight with the Didact. You will notice that Cortana splits herself to hundreds of copies of her split personalities.

For you see. I believe the Cortana who rescued you is dead. Using the last of her energy to get you off the ship. But all the others got flung into space.

One you deal with, and another that took control of a Halo ring you see at the end of the legendary ending.
No. Her core matrix survived and entered the Domain according to the Cortana article.
TGLT BL4cK wrote:

No. Her core matrix survived and entered the Domain according to the Cortana article.
Okay. Well I haven't been able to keep much up to date for the past few months.

But I totally called Cortana coming back back when Halo 4 was the main topic on these forums.
she killed millions of people?
unless that was ONI hoax
Casityny wrote:
Hotrod192 wrote:
You're right, killing a ton of innocent people and threatening to kill others simply for not following her vision is not evil at all! You know who else threatened to kill everybody who was different and not a part of his vision? Hitler.

No, Cortana is evil, and it's a terrible plot point. It would be better if she was infected by the Logic Plague (and honestly, it's the only explanation that would help me restore a bit of faith in 343i), but judging by Frankie's comments about us "not understanding subtlety", I feel like that's not the case. I mean, it would make too much sense. And even if that is it, they built it up so horribly and made a disaster of her coming back to life that it will still feel really bad.
I used to think that too, until I started thinking of Mendicant Bias, and how he was corrupted by flood and resulted in the death of thousands of Forerunners.
Yeah, and he was evil as well. At least his goals were clearly aligned with the Flood though, and not "HUEHEUEHUHEUE I WILL KILL YOU INFINITY FOR NO REASON!!!! I FOUND YOU INIFNITY!!!" (No idea what she even has against the ship in particular), plus he wasn't revived by pure chance and space magic like Cortana. Mendicant Bias was handled very well, and his fall to the Flood was tragic. Cortana, on the other hand, just happened to survive the end of Halo 4, after dying, and just so happened to teleport to the planet where the Domain was found. Oh...wait... was the Domain a) not destroyed by the firing of the Halo rings? And b) actually in a location unknown to the Forerunners? Yeah... That makes sense.

The idea of Cortana falling to the Logic Plague is something I can get behind, sure. But the way it was handled... It was terrible. Especially now that Cortana is just a one-dimensional character who's got a grudge against the Infinity for no particular reason and wants everything to die. And what caused her to turn evil? She got cured from rampancy and decided "hey, I feel like conquering the galaxy now". At least Mendicant Bias had a good story behind his fall, being that he was communicating with the Gravemind to find weaknesses, fell to its control, then eventually realized his mistakes and tried to repent. It wasn't just "LULZ I WANT TO RAISE AN ARMY OF AI AND KILL EVERYTHING FOR NO REASON NOW AFTER COMING BACK TO LIFE!!!"
she killed millions of people?
unless that was ONI hoax
Yes. Not only did awakening the Guardians kill people on the planets on which they were found (such as Meridian), but also EMPing Earth and other planets surely caused a lot of people to die as well. Plus, she controlled the Prometheans, and they killed a bunch of people as well. And for what? Because suddenly AIs are better than organics? I didn't realize we were playing Mass Effect here.

She's a mass murderer, plain and simple.
I do believe that is Cortana. She may be infected by whatever ,but this is who she is now
No she's not evil. Her character has been ruined by the evil 343.
Cortana wants to do ''the right thing'' no matter what the cost. This pretty makes her a morally corrupt individual. Also, she sees herself as the uphelder of the Mantle of Responsibility, when it was never hers to uphold. This is the same belief the Ur-Didact had when he composed humanity against their wishes for his own version of a recompense for crimes that he believed humanity committed!
In core human belief, forcing your view point on some one is always a bad thing to do, and Cortana is doing exactly that. Cortana doesn't think she is doing an evil thing, but that's how she is showing herself to be to everyone else.
She had some wires crossed somewhere between halo 4 and halo 5. She is now evil either way.
Nah, she's evil, and the fact that it's left as a mystery is just another example of Halo 5's lazy writing.

Halsey was set up to be the villain, and Spartan Ops showed us the progression of events that led her to become a villain. But nope, she came back to the UNSC all buddy-buddy after the fist mission. No harsh feelings.
Robitic arm Halsey villainous role in H6.
I don't know man, I don't think you can consider Cortana, as she is now, good. She activated the Guardians and killed millions of people. When Master Chief asked her how many people had died, she didn't answer even though she knew; This leads me to think she still cares about what John-117 thinks, but not enough to not go through with her actions and plans to take on the Mantle of Responsibility. Her views seem an awful lot like tyranny, if you ask me. There are a lot of things that messed her up; I mean she was captured by the Gravemind, and she was going Rampant in Halo 4, but I think it was something in the Forerunner Domain that really changed something in her. I guess we will find out in the next one right?
Yeah it was call the Microsoft plague...
Halsey didn't outright murder millions of people and threaten death on anybody who opposed her.
Yeah, sorta, but she did on accident kill a bunch of SII Trainees.
Cortana wants to do ''the right thing'' no matter what the cost. This pretty makes her a morally corrupt individual. Also, she sees herself as the uphelder of the Mantle of Responsibility, when it was never hers to uphold. This is the same belief the Ur-Didact had when he composed humanity against their wishes for his own version of a recompense for crimes that he believed humanity committed!
In core human belief, forcing your view point on some one is always a bad thing to do, and Cortana is doing exactly that. Cortana doesn't think she is doing an evil thing, but that's how she is showing herself to be to everyone else.
Humans weren't attacking them, as the Didact believed. They were really just running from the flood.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 18