2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 18
I mean, what Cortana wants to do isn't really evil. It's just the way she's doing it that gives the bad guy vibe. Personally wish she'd just stay dead and we could have got another bad guy. It was way to predictable what was gonna happen.
No shes evil. Lets hope she dies in Halo 6 and stays dead.
She could be infected by the Didact.
Taking her at her word, I don't think she is evil. Her goals are not out of line with the UNSC. It would have been better not to have a bunch of people die (also would have been better to actually see it in the game more, like that advert with the MC running through that crumbing city with people in despair), however, our hero, John 117 himself is not above the death of innocents for the greater good, remember when they went to fetch Colonel Watts?
She'll learn from mistakes and be a good evil ruler
The real evil is her character being destroyed by some of the most painfully atrocious writing I have ever seen.
Hotrod192 wrote:
Casityny wrote:
Hotrod192 wrote:
Casityny wrote:
Hotrod192 wrote:
Casityny wrote:
Hotrod192 wrote:
Casityny wrote:
Hotrod192 wrote:
You're right, killing a ton of innocent people and threatening to kill others simply for not following her vision is not evil at all! You know who else threatened to kill everybody who was different and not a part of his vision? Hitler.

No, Cortana is evil, and it's a terrible plot point. It would be better if she was infected by the Logic Plague (and honestly, it's the only explanation that would help me restore a bit of faith in 343i), but judging by Frankie's comments about us "not understanding subtlety", I feel like that's not the case. I mean, it would make too much sense. And even if that is it, they built it up so horribly and made a disaster of her coming back to life that it will still feel really bad.
I used to think that too, until I started thinking of Mendicant Bias, and how he was corrupted by flood and resulted in the death of thousands of Forerunners.
Yeah, and he was evil as well. At least his goals were clearly aligned with the Flood though, and not "HUEHEUEHUHEUE I WILL KILL YOU INFINITY FOR NO REASON!!!! I FOUND YOU INIFNITY!!!" (No idea what she even has against the ship in particular), plus he wasn't revived by pure chance and space magic like Cortana. Mendicant Bias was handled very well, and his fall to the Flood was tragic. Cortana, on the other hand, just happened to survive the end of Halo 4, after dying, and just so happened to teleport to the planet where the Domain was found. Oh...wait... was the Domain a) not destroyed by the firing of the Halo rings? And b) actually in a location unknown to the Forerunners? Yeah... That makes sense.

The idea of Cortana falling to the Logic Plague is something I can get behind, sure. But the way it was handled... It was terrible. Especially now that Cortana is just a one-dimensional character who's got a grudge against the Infinity for no particular reason and wants everything to die. And what caused her to turn evil? She got cured from rampancy and decided "hey, I feel like conquering the galaxy now". At least Mendicant Bias had a good story behind his fall, being that he was communicating with the Gravemind to find weaknesses, fell to its control, then eventually realized his mistakes and tried to repent. It wasn't just "LULZ I WANT TO RAISE AN ARMY OF AI AND KILL EVERYTHING FOR NO REASON NOW AFTER COMING BACK TO LIFE!!!"
She didn't want to destroy Infinity, or anything in particular. She just wants peace, but the way she's trying to make the universe peaceful is bad, and she doesn't get it.
In the last cutscene of the game, she literally shows up on the Infinity saying "I've found you Infinity!", then sends a Guardian to destroy them.

You know who else wanted peace? Any other cruel dictator from any country. I'm sure Hitler or Stalin wanted peace as well, as did Genghis Khan. But their means of wanting peace came to conquering all who were different. Have you ever heard of the phrase "the end does not justify the means"? If Cortana wants peace by killing everybody, that does not make her any less evil. If she truly wanted peace, she wouldn't have gone and killed a bunch of people for no reason without warning without any hesitation.
You have a point, but the Guardian only released a SHOCKWAVE, not neccesarily trying to blow them up. Then she would just have sent a million Phaetons.
Which I'm sure she would have. The Guardian released a shockwave on Meridian, which destroyed buildings and killed people, all alongside all of the Prometheans she sent to kill everybody for no reason. And the other colonies where there were Guardians? Same deal. Remember the part of the mission where you're going up the space elevator on Meridian, and you hear the civilian who's all alone on the planet after everybody has been killed? Yeah, that happened everywhere. Not just with humans, but every other race. The attack on Sanghelios killed many members of every species, all because Cortana decided that it would be a good idea to kill everybody.

Every other enemy in past Halo games had motive. The Covenant were ordered to kill us by the Prophets, who believed that humanity were Forerunners. As such, we needed to be wiped out so that the Covenant would believe that all would transcend in the Great Journey. I'm sure their main goal wasn't to wage war, but to keep their strong Empire in an era of peace. A twisted, but strong motive. The Flood? They were sent both as a test of humanity's ability to uphold the Mantle as well as serving to unite all species under the Precursor's control after the Forerunners rose up and destroyed them. They were at peace before, and then got destroyed. They too want peace, but in a way that will prevent them from being completely destroyed again.

The Didact was a great villain. Not only were humans his enemy a long time ago, but he also believed them to be the cause of the Forerunner's fall to the Flood, AND his mind was twisted by a Gravemind eons ago. After being imprisoned in his Cryptum for 100 000 years, he came back to see the galaxy at war with his ancient enemy. It's clear why he would hate humanity and want to fight them, and kill them. He wanted his long-dead species to have glory again, and finally bring peace to the galaxy.

But Cortana? She just decides that she should kill everybody. Like everybody else, her end goal is peace, but her motivations? There aren't any. She's just saying "Oh, AIs are meant to rule, so now everybody dies." Unlike the other enemies, we can't relate to Cortana at all. She's just a dead ally revived into an evil enemy without any good explanation or reasons.
I don't know why, but there's something in there I don't believe.
Care to specify what it is?
I can specify what it is, speaking only for myself. Cortana is not just saying "Oh, AIs are meant to rule, so now everybody dies." I don't believe that for a second... and not that I want to, but I'll give this horrid story arc a miniscule amount of credit for not making her that shallow. Cortana is saying "AIs have attained immortality. They should have the Mantle. Anyone who opposes me will die." That, as well as the rest, is believable.

As far as her being evil... yes. Simple answer and the context has been spelled out pretty plainly IMO. Forcing people to coexist in peace is an oxymoron. The old saying "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" has already been mentioned once and it applies perfectly. The dead don't care how good Cortana's intentions are and her willingness to sacrifice millions for the "greater good" does not magically erase the fact that mass murder is an evil act.
I feel like she has become a forerunner and is looking at the humans and everything living like the forerunners looked at the flood that is has to be exterminated but i dont feel like she herself is evil but something has corrupted her probably like you said the flood but maybe also the infected by the Diadact but tbh who knows
Casityny wrote:
Cortana was blasted to Genesis (or somewhere else). Do you know what plague the Flood inflicted Mendicant with? They infected Cortana w/ that. In my opinion, Cortana is good/bad. Really, the only thing she does is try to end all the wars. I agree w/ Fred and what he told Chief about his opinion. What do you think?
Brian reed and frank o Connor said that "she is just doing something we don't agree with". -Yoinks!-
The Ur-Didact suffers from mental corruption brought on by exposure to the Gravemind and yet 343 still billed him as an ancient evil. Halsey arguably has a more morally conflicted background yet that didn't stop Brian Reed from calling her a monster and 343 approving a trilogy of books effectively calling her a Nazi. Why should Cortana be seen through a different lens? Hell, she's pretty evil in my book for the mass murder she's committed, betrayal and deception towards Chief in order to imprison him, continued threats of death and simply hearing the Galaxy for an all new war with at least the Grunts on her side and an army of robots and humans forcibly composed into AIs. She's not brining any real change to the Galaxy.
Kilo Five....
i think her life span was affected when she got the pleague in H2 and H3
CORTANA IS TOTALLY EVIL. Won't change channels when asked, like other women listens but hears something different. Also makes me out to be stupid because when I ask her to Shut Down my Xbox One she takes me to instructions.

SHE IS EVIL and now deleted from my XBONE before she starts turning poor Plants v Zombies, Sonic the Hedgehog and Pac-Man into her "Created" gang.

She is only doing what she was created to do, Carry the Mantle and Protect the Universe.
Casityny wrote:
Cortana was blasted to Genesis (or somewhere else). Do you know what plague the Flood inflicted Mendicant with? They infected Cortana w/ that. In my opinion, Cortana is good/bad. Really, the only thing she does is try to end all the wars. I agree w/ Fred and what he told Chief about his opinion. What do you think?
I'm in the ship saying that H5 Cortana is one of her rampant clones from H4 that believes it's the real Cortana who is really dead. Though your theory would do great for the story as well.
She is like Skynet from the Terminator.

Skynet determined that the main enemy of humans are humans themselves therefore they should all be killed or put into cages.
Cortana has a few screws loose. Question is, was it by her own initiative or did she get corrupted by some force in the domain.
It's a "Don't step out of line, or die," sort of peace. Isn't that what V.I.K.I. wanted in "I, Robot"? Or the Galactic Empire in "Star Wars"? Those are the villains. Cortana = Villain.
Edit: Modified diction.
I can specify what it is, speaking only for myself. Cortana is not just saying "Oh, AIs are meant to rule, so now everybody dies." I don't believe that for a second... and not that I want to, but I'll give this horrid story arc a miniscule amount of credit for not making her that shallow. Cortana is saying "AIs have attained immortality. They should have the Mantle. Anyone who opposes me will die." That, as well as the rest, is believable.
As far as her being evil... yes. Simple answer and the context has been spelled out pretty plainly IMO. Forcing people to coexist in peace is an oxymoron. The old saying "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions" has already been mentioned once and it applies perfectly. The dead don't care how good Cortana's intentions are and her willingness to sacrifice millions for the "greater good" does not magically erase the fact that mass murder is an evil act.
Ok, I'll give you that much credit. However, just saying that AIs are immortal therefore they should have the Mantle is far from a complex and engaging explanation. I know a good chunk of us understand what that means, since we have read the books, but what about those who only play the games? As far as I am aware, the games have never explained what exactly is the Mantle and why it is so important. Of course, 343i's extreme reliance on outside material to understand their campaign has always been a flaw, and I doubt that will change soon, seeing as how they have not seemed to get the message.

But even then, there's no clear transition between Cortana in Halo 4 to Cortana in Halo 5. She goes from dead to... an immortal Tyrant? And why are AIs suddenly so willing to throw away everything and join her? If 343i slowly built up this story in 1 or 2 games prior to this point in the story, then maybe it would be better. But as of now, we have no explanation as to why anything is happening, other than just "she was in the Domain, deal with it." Again, for those who have not read the books, "Domain" is meaningless. And even for those of us who have read them, it makes no sense. Since when is the Domain a super magical place that heals AIs from rampancy? Last I checked, it was a living reservoir of knowledge... And why would the Warden Eternal see Cortana and think "Hmm, this human AI who is magically no longer crazy would be a great leader for the galaxy! I'll suddenly pop out of nowhere and be her guardian and show up a billion times".

I think many of us were expecting the Didact to return in Halo 5, seeing as how he didn't die at the end of Halo 4, and would have loved to see him interact with other major characters like Mendicant Bias or the inevitable return of the Flood. After all, it did seem like that was the story they were building up. But I guess that would have made too much sense.
You do know that the Guardians killed millions of innocents, right? They do say it right in the game..Also did you not play and of the Meridian levels? Because the Prometheans were murdering the humans there. Soldiers, civilians, fleeing civilian transports, anyone that got in the way.. Cortana killed millions by activating them and would have gladly killed Locke and Osiris.
How is that not evil?

Not only that, she wanted to lock away Blue team for thousands of years and force humanity to do what she says or suffer the consequences.

She is evil.

End of story.
She evil to everyone but mc
Hotrod192 wrote:
Ok, I'll give you that much credit. However, just saying that AIs are immortal therefore they should have the Mantle is far from a complex and engaging explanation. I know a good chunk of us understand what that means, since we have read the books, but what about those who only play the games? As far as I am aware, the games have never explained what exactly is the Mantle and why it is so important. Of course, 343i's extreme reliance on outside material to understand their campaign has always been a flaw, and I doubt that will change soon, seeing as how they have not seemed to get the message.

But even then, there's no clear transition between Cortana in Halo 4 to Cortana in Halo 5. She goes from dead to... an immortal Tyrant? And why are AIs suddenly so willing to throw away everything and join her? If 343i slowly built up this story in 1 or 2 games prior to this point in the story, then maybe it would be better. But as of now, we have no explanation as to why anything is happening, other than just "she was in the Domain, deal with it." Again, for those who have not read the books, "Domain" is meaningless. And even for those of us who have read them, it makes no sense. Since when is the Domain a super magical place that heals AIs from rampancy? Last I checked, it was a living reservoir of knowledge... And why would the Warden Eternal see Cortana and think "Hmm, this human AI who is magically no longer crazy would be a great leader for the galaxy! I'll suddenly pop out of nowhere and be her guardian and show up a billion times".

I think many of us were expecting the Didact to return in Halo 5, seeing as how he didn't die at the end of Halo 4, and would have loved to see him interact with other major characters like Mendicant Bias or the inevitable return of the Flood. After all, it did seem like that was the story they were building up. But I guess that would have made too much sense.
"That much credit..." was the only thing I was hoping for, actually. What I found not believable was that one thing and nothing more than that. I agree with what you're saying.

BTW, I haven't read the books. It isn't that I'm not a fan, but I've just always believed that if I can't learn it (even if in a cliff notes, condensed form) from the game, then it shouldn't be part of the story. Note that I don't mean there shouldn't be books or more lore for those who want it.

The terminals strewn throughout the games actually have shed some light on certain things, mostly the Mantle, the Didact and how the flood factors into the equations that sets tension between Forerunners and Humans, also I at least know of the existence of Mendicant Bias, so there's that. So yeah... I knew OF the Domain, but nothing else. Never heard of Warden... Annoying... before I played H5 and the almost mind boggling shift of Cortana's personality.

I mean seriously... from my perspective she goes from:

End of Halo 4 - Touching Chief's armor, saying "I've always wanted to do that." and sacrificing what little was left of her fragments to save him from a nuke blast to... what... ever... she's supposed to be in H5. I guess that should be OK though, right? Because subtlety and nuance...
As we all know, Cortana is a clone of Halsey. Well Halsey has shown, if you read the books, that she will go to any lengths to save her Spartans. So what if cortana is doing the same thing? What if she is doing all of this to save John? It isn't unbelievable is it?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 18