Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Could Master Chief receive the POW Medal after H5?

OP Razsorsharp

The POW (Prisoner of War) is the only UNSC medal Chief has not received. However, after the events of Halo 5, could Chief be awarded this medal? He was held prisoner before and during Cortana's declaration of war against the UNSC.
Going off of Halopedia, it seems that Chief might be eligible for it already:
Quote:
Master Chief Petty Officer John-117, a SPARTAN-II supersoldier, may be eligible for this medal for two distinct actions. First, during the raid on Camp New Hope on May 1, 2531 when his command, Blue Team, was captured by United Rebel Front forces. His capture and interrogation aboard the Forerunner Dreadnought by Covenant forces in November 2552 may also qualify the Spartan to receive the medal. The Prisoner of War Medallion has yet to be bestowed upon any Spartan.[verification needed]
Though during the Covenant War, I doubt ONI would have ever allowed a Spartan to be awarded that medallion, purely for morale and PR purposes. Even after the war, Chief is such an iconic and well known figure that the PR disaster that could come from him being considered a prisoner of war would likely lead ONI to continue preventing him from ever receiving it.
One "could" say he deserved it after the Second Battle of New Mombasa. XD That said the Spartan there very likely isnt him.
Going off of Halopedia, it seems that Chief might be eligible for it already:
Quote:
Master Chief Petty OfficerJohn-117, a SPARTAN-II supersoldier, may be eligible for this medal for two distinct actions. First, during the raid on Camp New Hope on May 1, 2531 when his command, Blue Team, was captured by United Rebel Front forces. His capture and interrogation aboard the Forerunner Dreadnought by Covenant forces in November 2552 may also qualify the Spartan to receive the medal. The Prisoner of War Medallion has yet to be bestowed upon any Spartan.[verification needed]
Though during the Covenant War, I doubt ONI would have ever allowed a Spartan to be awarded that medallion, purely for morale and PR purposes. Even after the war, Chief is such an iconic and well known figure that the PR disaster that could come from him being considered a prisoner of war would likely lead ONI to continue preventing him from ever receiving it.
Likewise, our SPARTAN would be eligible for this award, having been captured by Storm Covenant forces on Requiem and held (albeit briefly). before escaping and organizing a breakout of UNSC POWs. (All from SPARTAN Ops in Halo 4).

I agree, though, that it is unlikely the award would ever be presented to a SPARTAN operator. More likely, the medal would be awarded administratively for records, since said records would be classified in any case.
I would have to say he would not be awarded this because he did it against orders so it was at the very best less than honorable that he was even in the field at the time of his capture. If the Infinity gave him the go ahead to be on the mission then maybe he could receive the POW medal, but that is not the case.

Another point at which he could have been awarded the POW medal was after Halo 2. The Gravemind held both him and the Arbiter prisoner and tried to play them both like a fiddle. I'm also sure that there are plenty of other instances in which Chief could have been given the medal but have been overlooked or seen as unimportant for some reason.
He probably needs to consume food nipple to qualify.