Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Could Sgt. Johnson still be alive?

OP EWOKofDESTINY

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
Tbh, I'm starting to think that people want Johnson back because his death was forced and awkward, rather than because he was funny or important to the plot. If Johnson died in a more honourable way than being caught off-guard and lazered by a flying eyeball, less people would demand that he be brought back to life, defying laws of common sense and story-telling.
Tbh, I'm starting to think that people want Johnson back because his death was forced and awkward, rather than because he was funny or important to the plot. If Johnson died in a more honourable way than being caught off-guard and lazered by a flying eyeball, less people would demand that he be brought back to life, defying laws of common sense and story-telling.
Johnson deserved a much more honorable death than that. But, he cant come back into the story just to die agian.

Johnson deserved a much more honorable death than that. But, he cant come back into the story just to die agian.
Oh c'mon. Considered how Bungie did their Halo games Johnson had one of the most memorable deaths. He died on MC's arms with speech about sending with bang - poor Miranda never had such honours.

If you think about it, even deaths of Noble team members weren't any more honorable. Even when they were giving their lives, it was because of stupid reasons. "Oups, detonator fried - I guess this is the moment when I have to sacrifice myself!"

Oh c'mon. Considered how Bungie did their Halo games Johnson had one of the most memorable deaths. He died on MC's arms with speech about sending with bang - poor Miranda never had such honours.

If you think about it, even deaths of Noble team members weren't any more honorable. Even when they were giving their lives, it was because of stupid reasons. "Oups, detonator fried - I guess this is the moment when I have to sacrifice myself!"
My problem with it was because it came out nowhere and felt forced. If you look at the documentary inside of the Halo 3 Limited edition for Halo 3's campaign, you would pretty much hear how Bungie thought their original story was flat, and they thought they needed to throw in some deaths to engage the player. They tried to shock and sadden players in the cheapest way possible and instantly malign 343 Guilty Spark again (since he had served as an ally over the past two games) because they wanted to have a boss fight. They could have easily created more suspense had they given Johnson a more respectable death that advances the narrative instead of one that seemed like a cheap trick.

If they had actually had him sacrifice himself to aid the Chief and Cortana's progress, I would be much more engaged and feel that Johnson died for an honourable cause. It doesn't have to feel as forced as Noble Team's deaths. Johnson could have volunteer to stay behind to make sure Chief and Cortana could leave Halo, he could have died characteristically protecting his Marines on the Ark, or he could have stayed behind to repel Flood combat forms outside of the control room to ensure Chief and Arbiter could gain access to it. Anything is better than being caught off-guard and lazered by a flying eyeball for the sake of cheap drama.
I also think they could have built-up Spark's questionable allegiance over the last two levels instead of have him randomly defect from the Chief for some last-minute drama. If Bungie had given Spark and Chief's differing intentions regarding the firing of the Halo before the very end, it would have created room for disagreement and make the player question whether 343 Guilty Spark would follow-through and actually help the player or if he would succumb to his rampant urges to dominate his installation. It gives an added layer of uncertainty and it would have helped explore Chief and 343 Guilty Spark's goals and personalities. And I think contributes to Halo 3's theme of trust and discovering who your true allies are (e.g recovering Cortana and siding with the Elites).

But I'm getting off-topic.
I know this is a bit of a stretch, but I was thinking that perhaps Mendicant Bias was able to teleport him to safety somewhere within the Ark and revive him using advanced forerunner techniques.

- Mendicant Bias has been shown to want a Reclaimer around to fulfill his atonement.

- We never see what happens to his body (just that it starts sliding away as Chief is running),

- Besides I believe Linda was even more damaged that Sgt. Johnson and Halsey was able to bring her back using limited human tech.

I think it would be an incredible "WOW" moment in Halo 5 to be fighting waves of Prometheans and then a figure in Forerunner armor appears and disarms Master Chief after an intense hand to hand combat fight scene, thinking its the end, Chief shields his face expecting to be shot dead, but when nothing happens he looks up as the mysterious figure takes off his helmet to reveal Sgt. Johnson.

What are your thoughts on this?

Usually i would have laughed at this. But not only do you make a great point but also, in a new megablocks set of halo a mysterious unidentified human like figure in forerunner armor is seen. But as his death was confirmed it is not likely that this would happen although it would be intresting.
That would be amazing if that unidentified human like figure turned out to be Sgt. Johnson.

- Additionally I do see why some people would be against it, as it could cheapen death etc. I agree it could open a can of worms, however if they do it just this one time, I wouldn't be against it. Especially since:

- Arbiter and the Chief are the only (major) characters left from the original trilogy now that Cortana is gone and I personally would like some sense familiarity with the characters while playing the campaign.

- Sgt. Johnson does deserve a better death than a random laser from a malfunctioning A.I.

- He's been there since the beginning. He's a Spartan-1, he's symbolic of the human fighting spirit. You can always look to him to represent or reflect how the people are coping around you. In Halo CE his attitude was encouraging. In Halo 2, he was all "hell no not on my turf" and in Halo 3, you can genuinely sense the weariness he and humanity is feeling near the end of the war. I want an internal gauge like that in the story and I don't know if Locke can cut it for me since Nightfall didn't do much that made me feel invested in Locke and he seems to be another silent protagonist type, but who knows I could be wrong.

Anyway, I for one would love to have a little Sgt. Johnson in my Halo 5.
So you admit it cheapens death yet wouldn't mind it. Seriously? You want Halo's story to suffer?
So you admit it cheapens death yet wouldn't mind it. Seriously? You want Halo's story to suffer?
I admit it could cheapen death not that it will... if done properly and only done this time. Yeah if several characters come back from the dead then the story definitely would have major problems maintaining internal integrity, but if it's done minimally in a way that is logical and feasible then I don't have a problem with it.
If 343 brought back Sgt. Johnson because he was reincarnated into a grunt's body after a long session of ritualistic magic Unggoy orgies... Then yeah that would be pretty stupid
If he's brought back in a way that can be explained with plot devices already established, ie the Forerunner's ridiculously impressive mastery of medical science, then I don't see how it's a problem. We have already established Mendicant Bias was on the Ark and we have already established forerunner technology can do incredible feats of medical science, so for both of those things to come together and save a dying Sgt. Johnson wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.
Well if it where to happen then I think I would rather have the flood being the ones bring him back in some sort of mind games with John. Or maybe have the flood play mind games with Halsey by bringing back Jacob or sending a message from the grave.

I admit it could cheapen death not that it will... if done properly and only done this time. Yeah if several characters come back from the dead then the story definitely would have major problems maintaining internal integrity, but if it's done minimally in a way that is logical and feasible then I don't have a problem with it.
If 343 brought back Sgt. Johnson because he was reincarnated into a grunt's body after a long session of ritualistic magic Unggoy orgies... Then yeah that would be pretty stupid
If he's brought back in a way that can be explained with plot devices already established, ie the Forerunner's ridiculously impressive mastery of medical science, then I don't see how it's a problem. We have already established Mendicant Bias was on the Ark and we have already established forerunner technology can do incredible feats of medical science, so for both of those things to come together and save a dying Sgt. Johnson wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.
The Forerunners didn't fix death.

The Forerunners didn't fix death.
Obviously.

There is a term for what I am describing though, Resuscitation.

Resuscitation - to revive from apparent death or from unconsciousness.

We are moderately successful here in the 21st century with resuscitation. I am sure a Tier 1 species such as the Forerunners have great success with resuscitation compared to what we do, or even the humans of 26th century, who are also quite successful at resuscitating (example: Linda).
How are you going to resuscitate a corpse that was left behind a collapsing control room on a collapsing Halo ring that ended up damaging the Ark? Johnson and Linda's circumstances were far different.
How are you going to resuscitate a corpse that was left behind a collapsing control room on a collapsing Halo ring that ended up damaging the Ark? Johnson and Linda's circumstances were far different.
As my original post said:

"I know this is a bit of a stretch, but I was thinking that perhaps Mendicant Bias was able to teleport him to safety somewhere within the Ark and revive him using advanced forerunner techniques."

Seriously... I am not even that creative and I have come up with a simple logical explanation as to why/how he could still be alive. I am sure 343i, with a team of writers who are paid to be creative, could come up with a worthy explanation as to how Sgt. Johnson managed to live past the events of Halo 3.

I could elaborate my theory further if that would help? Put in more specifics? I really don't understand your confusion and/or your contemptuousness towards a simple theory concocted by a fellow Halo fan.
I'm only against it because it is wrong. You say a logical explanation, but it isn't very logical. You say maybe Mendicant Bias did something, but I ask why would he even bother? Johnson died, he no longer serves a purpose. Bias was also preoccupied with keeping the ring together so Chief could get off of it. And again, the Forerunners could not revive the dead, so even if Bias took Johnson's corpse, what would he do with it? The idea is fundamentally flawed in several ways and I wish people would just get over characters that died. Johnson, Jorge, Noble Six, Cortana, all dead and yet people continue to come up with flawed theories to bring them back when Bungie and 343 already took time to say they are dead.
I'm only against it because it is wrong. You say a logical explanation, but it isn't very logical. You say maybe Mendicant Bias did something, but I ask why would he even bother? Johnson died, he no longer serves a purpose. Bias was also preoccupied with keeping the ring together so Chief could get off of it. And again, the Forerunners could not revive the dead, so even if Bias took Johnson's corpse, what would he do with it? The idea is fundamentally flawed in several ways and I wish people would just get over characters that died. Johnson, Jorge, Noble Six, Cortana, all dead and yet people continue to come up with flawed theories to bring them back when Bungie and 343 already took time to say they are dead.
I also gave an explanation as to why he "would bother." Mendicant Bias would need a Reclaimer to operate the Ark since Master Chief was leaving, and was apparently being redirected to Requiem by Mendicant Bias.

I NEVER claimed that they could revive the dead. Between passing out and/or expiring in Chief's arms and the activation of Halo only a few minutes had passed by, which is within current medical standards, a legitimate window to be resuscitated. If your heart stopped beating you would be clinically dead, but with medical intervention resuscitation would still be possible to occur. Again this is with CURRENT medical knowledge. In the future and/or with Tier 1 technology the capacity to do so would be certainly greater, as has been shown in various Halo related media.

So with that said, I do not see anything fundamentally flawed with my theory. I have given Johnson's survival a reasonable how, why, who, when, and where.

Also Bungie and 343 wouldn't tell us if they were planning on reviving a character, so of course they have stated the characters are dead.

"Hey Halo community, don't count *insert major character here* dead yet, we are currently writing ways to include them in future media," said Bungie or 343 absolutely never.
He's space dust.
With "Dust-in Echoes"! Chief should of went back for em both! Not just Johnson!
Highly unlikely, he got sent out with a bang, remember?
So let me get this right. Johnson dies yet is saved by Mendicant Bias despite no evidence or hints to that at all because he needs a Reclaimer for no specified reason. So through some Forerunner magic technology that can revive the dead that was never hinted at either, Bias keeps Johnson around for over 5 years on a ruined Ark and makes no mention of his whereabouts when ONI comes to the Ark with a group of explorers, some of who end up dying on the Ark, that eventually have one of this ships stolen by Guilty Spark.

Yeah, that isn't convoluted at all. If Bias needs a Reclaimer, why not just have Chief come back to the Ark rather than bringing back Johnson for some unspecified reason thus cheapening his death and making the Halo story look like a silly comic book?

I also gave an explanation as to why he "would bother." Mendicant Bias would need a Reclaimer to operate the Ark since Master Chief was leaving, and was apparently being redirected to Requiem by Mendicant Bias.

I NEVER claimed that they could revive the dead. Between passing out and/or expiring in Chief's arms and the activation of Halo only a few minutes had passed by, which is within current medical standards, a legitimate window to be resuscitated. If your heart stopped beating you would be clinically dead, but with medical intervention resuscitation would still be possible to occur. Again this is with CURRENT medical knowledge. In the future and/or with Tier 1 technology the capacity to do so would be certainly greater, as has been shown in various Halo related media.

So with that said, I do not see anything fundamentally flawed with my theory. I have given Johnson's survival a reasonable how, why, who, when, and where.

Also Bungie and 343 wouldn't tell us if they were planning on reviving a character, so of course they have stated the characters are dead.

"Hey Halo community, don't count *insert major character here* dead yet, we are currently writing ways to include them in future media," said Bungie or 343 absolutely never.
Characters with ambiguous deaths are not given death dates.

Jun had a possibility of surviving, but 343i/Bungie didn't plan to do anything with him. So he wasn't given a death date, and was brought back later.

Besides, sure, there is a slight window of time that he could've been revived, maybe.
But... how?
Mendicant Bias had two "active" fragments on the Ark. One that was locked in a Forerunner dreadnought, of which we have no idea where it went, and another buried in a tomb under the sands. He was barely getting through the terminals to talk to Chief. How would he manage to rescue Johnson on a self-destructing ring? The sentinels in the area were under Spark's command, and were now actively hostile. <div></div><div></div><div></div>
JSA343 wrote:

Characters with ambiguous deaths are not given death dates.

Jun had a possibility of surviving, but 343i/Bungie didn't plan to do anything with him. So he wasn't given a death date, and was brought back later.

Besides, sure, there is a slight window of time that he could've been revived, maybe.
But... how?
Mendicant Bias had two "active" fragments on the Ark. One that was locked in a Forerunner dreadnought, of which we have no idea where it went, and another buried in a tomb under the sands. He was barely getting through the terminals to talk to Chief. How would he manage to rescue Johnson on a self-destructing ring? The sentinels in the area were under Spark's command, and were now actively hostile. <div></div><div></div><div></div>
You make very valid points. The only thing I can really say to that is that maybe when Spark got lasered to pieces Mendicant Bias was able to wrestle just enough control of the system to direct a few sentinels to grab Johnson's body and teleport him to a shielded medical bay on the Ark. Yes though, I agree with your assessment it would be very difficult to orchestrate. However, we also do know that Mendicant Bias had enough control to redirect the Master Chief to another destination (Requiem), so he must have had some authority over the Ark's systems by this point.

Also his death would be kind of ambiguous to the UNSC as Arbiter is the only one who saw what happened that could report his status at the end of Halo 3 and neither him or the Chief can account for his body. They at most might have seen his vitals flatline on their HUD, and if they didn't, the best they can assume is he passed out from a fatal wound they had no hope of saving him from. I don't remember Chief even checking his pulse, although I could be wrong about that.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7