Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Could Sgt. Johnson still be alive?

OP EWOKofDESTINY

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
Cortana seemed to think he was dead when she said she was sorry to Chief after his death. Just accept he is dead and not coming back. The fact you have to create scenarios you cannot support withe evidence shows how flawed the theory is.
JSA343 wrote:
I'm only against it because it is wrong. You say a logical explanation, but it isn't very logical. You say maybe Mendicant Bias did something, but I ask why would he even bother? Johnson died, he no longer serves a purpose. Bias was also preoccupied with keeping the ring together so Chief could get off of it. And again, the Forerunners could not revive the dead, so even if Bias took Johnson's corpse, what would he do with it? The idea is fundamentally flawed in several ways and I wish people would just get over characters that died. Johnson, Jorge, Noble Six, Cortana, all dead and yet people continue to come up with flawed theories to bring them back when Bungie and 343 already took time to say they are dead.

I also gave an explanation as to why he "would bother." Mendicant Bias would need a Reclaimer to operate the Ark since Master Chief was leaving, and was apparently being redirected to Requiem by Mendicant Bias.

I NEVER claimed that they could revive the dead. Between passing out and/or expiring in Chief's arms and the activation of Halo only a few minutes had passed by, which is within current medical standards, a legitimate window to be resuscitated. If your heart stopped beating you would be clinically dead, but with medical intervention resuscitation would still be possible to occur. Again this is with CURRENT medical knowledge. In the future and/or with Tier 1 technology the capacity to do so would be certainly greater, as has been shown in various Halo related media.

So with that said, I do not see anything fundamentally flawed with my theory. I have given Johnson's survival a reasonable how, why, who, when, and where.

Also Bungie and 343 wouldn't tell us if they were planning on reviving a character, so of course they have stated the characters are dead.

"Hey Halo community, don't count *insert major character here* dead yet, we are currently writing ways to include them in future media," said Bungie or 343 absolutely never.

Characters with ambiguous deaths are not given death dates.

Jun had a possibility of surviving, but 343i/Bungie didn't plan to do anything with him. So he wasn't given a death date, and was brought back later.

Besides, sure, there is a slight window of time that he could've been revived, maybe.
But... how?
Mendicant Bias had two "active" fragments on the Ark. One that was locked in a Forerunner dreadnought, of which we have no idea where it went, and another buried in a tomb under the sands. He was barely getting through the terminals to talk to Chief. How would he manage to rescue Johnson on a self-destructing ring? The sentinels in the area were under Spark's command, and were now actively hostile. <div></div><div></div><div></div>

You make very valid points. The only thing I can really say to that is that maybe when Spark got lasered to pieces Mendicant Bias was able to wrestle just enough control of the system to direct a few sentinels to grab Johnson's body and teleport him to a shielded medical bay on the Ark. Yes though, I agree with your assessment it would be very difficult to orchestrate. However, we also do know that Mendicant Bias had enough control to redirect the Master Chief to another destination (Requiem), so he must have had some authority over the Ark's systems by this point.

Also his death would be kind of ambiguous to the UNSC as Arbiter is the only one who saw what happened that could report his status at the end of Halo 3 and neither him or the Chief can account for his body. They at most might have seen his vitals flatline on their HUD, and if they didn't, the best they can assume is he passed out from a fatal wound they had no hope of saving him from. I don't remember Chief even checking his pulse, although I could be wrong about that.
If he could do that, why didn't Mendicant just teleport Chief to his ship rather than nearly let him get killed on his way there?

And, we see Johnson go limp. Then we see the Control Room collapse, with the ceiling caving in and his body sliding off the platform. So, you'd need Sentinels to catch him midair, if anything, which just makes this sound more ridiculous than it already is.

The Arbiter can account for Johnson being mortally wounded, account for him going limp next to Chief, and account for his body sliding off the platform as the control room collapsed. He can also account for the Halo exploding.
Chief can account for everything as well, though he can add the fact that Johnson died in his hands. Chief was ready to take him out with him. If there was still a chance, why would he have left him?

You shouldn't have to go through so many stretches and make up such ridiculous possibilities to account for a characters' survival. Jun left with Halsey and likely evacuated, so he was able to be brought back. AIs can be brought back with some stretching, like Spark's damaged fragment. Even Cortana has some somewhat legitimate theories. Johnson? No.
Sorry accidental double post. The site didn't load after I hit submit and I didn't think it went through.

I'll just use this to respond. Even if it is "ridiculous" for him to have survived. It doesn't discount the fact that it technically is possible. Catching someone in mid-air shouldn't be a problem for something that has the technology to defy gravity built in intrinsically.

Mendicant Bias is the most sophisticated AI the Forerunner ever built, I'm sure with even just a few fragments he would have the computing power to orchestrate events in his favor.

Explanations can be made as to why he didn't just teleport Chief to the ship. Maybe he calculated Chief had ample time to make to make it and was more concerned with Johnson, or maybe it's Bungie knowing that teleporting would take away from gameplay. That entire ending was a throwback to CE...they wanted a frantic drive to the Forward Unto Dawn.

Either way, and I've said it since the beginning, it's implausible that he's alive yes, but it's definitely NOT impossible. If 343 wanted to revive him, there is ample ambiquity and ample possibilities to explain how he could have survived. MY explanations and specifics as to how he could have survived are just the first things I've thought of. 343 would have has MONTHS if not years to think this through and work it out if they wanted to. For example it would be equally possible that his body wouldn't even have to be caught by a monitor (since you have fault with that) and a site to site transport could have been initiated right after his body started sliding. We've seen forerunner tech capable of site to site transport.
So you have no good arguments left and thus slide down to the "Well its possible" argument, one of the weakest forms of arguing for a theory one can make because it just grinds a discussion to a halt. He's dead, he isn't coming back and if even if he did that would be the day I quit Halo because that would just show 343 doesn't take the story seriously anymore when they'll revive a character because he's popular. Johnson's revival serves no purpose other than fanservice and if that is enough to make you think cheapening the story is a good thing, what can I say?
I know this is a bit of a stretch, but I was thinking that perhaps Mendicant Bias was able to teleport him to safety somewhere within the Ark and revive him using advanced forerunner techniques.

- Mendicant Bias has been shown to want a Reclaimer around to fulfill his atonement.

- We never see what happens to his body (just that it starts sliding away as Chief is running),

- Besides I believe Linda was even more damaged that Sgt. Johnson and Halsey was able to bring her back using limited human tech.

I think it would be an incredible "WOW" moment in Halo 5 to be fighting waves of Prometheans and then a figure in Forerunner armor appears and disarms Master Chief after an intense hand to hand combat fight scene, thinking its the end, Chief shields his face expecting to be shot dead, but when nothing happens he looks up as the mysterious figure takes off his helmet to reveal Sgt. Johnson.

What are your thoughts on this?
It's really immature and bad writing.

Johnson had his chest fried by 343 Guilty Spark, died in front of MC, his corpse fell from such a great height that it would be turned into a mass of meat, it also fell in the neutrino chamber, a halo fired and self destruct. HE. IS. DEAD. DEAD AS YOINK. It's been 8 years since Halo 3. Get over it.
Nah I think Johnson is dead. He went out in honour and should be kept that way. He will be missed but 343i can make some more iconic characters that we can love. I wish Sarah Palmer would die though lol
So you have no good arguments left and thus slide down to the "Well its possible" argument, one of the weakest forms of arguing for a theory one can make because it just grinds a discussion to a halt. He's dead, he isn't coming back and if even if he did that would be the day I quit Halo because that would just show 343 doesn't take the story seriously anymore when they'll revive a character because he's popular. Johnson's revival serves no purpose other than fanservice and if that is enough to make you think cheapening the story is a good thing, what can I say?
The "well it's possible argument" is the only argument I've been making since the beginning. BUT I've made specific rebuttals to all your problems with the details in my theory and explained how it could work and I see no reason that it would be absolutely impossible to use a bit of creativity to write him back into the story by 343 and their talented writing team.

I've even stated that, in my opinion, it wouldn't cheapen the story if done in the correct context and for the right reasons. Obviously you have a different opinion than this and that's ok. I'm just saying I have the opposite opinion.

Also, I've never had a problem with "fan service." If an author or production company knows that fans want or enjoy some aspect of the media they have created, I don't see why it's an automatic problem if they are trying to appeal to their fan-base. Could it be a problem? Yes it could, because while I may not completely agree with you, I can see where you are coming from, and I wouldn't want 343 to do anything trivial or anything that would diminish the integrity of the story they've been working with. I just don't agree that reviving Johnson would be the automatic disaster you make it out to be.
Didn't Hasley say something about Johnson having regenerative abilities?
I know this is a bit of a stretch, but I was thinking that perhaps Mendicant Bias was able to teleport him to safety somewhere within the Ark and revive him using advanced forerunner techniques.

- Mendicant Bias has been shown to want a Reclaimer around to fulfill his atonement.

- We never see what happens to his body (just that it starts sliding away as Chief is running),

- Besides I believe Linda was even more damaged that Sgt. Johnson and Halsey was able to bring her back using limited human tech.

I think it would be an incredible "WOW" moment in Halo 5 to be fighting waves of Prometheans and then a figure in Forerunner armor appears and disarms Master Chief after an intense hand to hand combat fight scene, thinking its the end, Chief shields his face expecting to be shot dead, but when nothing happens he looks up as the mysterious figure takes off his helmet to reveal Sgt. Johnson.

You watch him die and then you blow up his grave with his body on it. As badly injured Linda was I would say that it is pretty hard to bring back someone from the dead after they have been reduced to billions of atoms by an explosion.
Didn't Hasley say something about Johnson having regenerative abilities?
Yes she did. Pg. 244 of First Strike.

“And the Sergeant’s nervous system is so jumbled that the Flood couldn’t force a match?” “Correct,” she said.(Halsey) “Further blood tests show his system bearing traces of Flood DNA— very much dead and noninfectious, but some gene fragments are intact. I believe this is proof of a failed attempt to possess him. It also appears to have imparted him with some curious regenerative abilities, although I cannot yet fully confirm this side effect.”

I made a thread on this topic btw, if you are interested in discussing Johnson's immunity with the flood sometime. :) Also HaloArchive recently posted a very detailed blog on the subject, it's a good read.

You watch him die and then you blow up his grave with his body on it. As badly injured Linda was I would say that it is pretty hard to bring back someone from the dead after they have been reduced to billions of atoms by an explosion.
Obviously my theory isn't trying to bring someone back from the dead after being reduced to billions of atoms by an explosion. That would be more than hard. If you read anything I wrote in this thread you would know that's not what I'm suggesting at all.

Obviously my theory isn't trying to bring someone back from the dead after being reduced to billions of atoms by an explosion. That would be more than hard. If you read anything I wrote in this thread you would know that's not what I'm suggesting at all.
Except that would make your theory wrong by default because that is what happened, the control room and Halo blew up.
Yes, like the "Forge and Johnson could be alive" theories don't all say the same thing.

Except that would make your theory wrong by default because that is what happened, the control room and Halo blew up.
Which is why I suggested he could have been teleported to safety by Mendicant Bias.

Seriously, I get it. You don't like the idea of him coming back. Could you stop being so non-constructive with your comments?

You contributed absolutely nothing with your last post to this discussion. I really don't mind that you have an opinion different than mine, but I don't see how you are helping your case or bringing down mine by making statements that aren't even within the framework of this argument.

I'm obviously advocating that he didn't blow up with the control room/halo, and you can't say definitively that he did. You didn't see his body atomize, all you have is an assumption of what happened to his body after he slid off the platform. I have a different assumption and I have given probably reasons and explanations as to why I feel like it's possible, as you have given your explanations as to why you feel the opposite until now.

So could you please stick to trying to keep this discussion intellectual and civil rather than letting your dislike of the idea of Johnson coming back cloud your ability to communicate in a rational manner?
Yes, like the "Forge and Johnson could be alive" theories don't all say the same thing.
Could you please elaborate?
You didn't see Bias teleport him or Sentinels catch him and have no evidence to back those up either. Meanwhile I have confirmation of his death. That's all I need.
You didn't see Bias teleport him or Sentinels catch him and have no evidence to back those up either. Meanwhile I have confirmation of his death. That's all I need.
Your confirmation may be enough for you, but it's not for me. Unless it's an in-universe depiction of his body being atomized or his corpse rotting after being dead for several hours, then I will still feel like there is the potential for him to come back.
So then the canon does not actually interest you? Your imagination trumps canon?
So then the canon does not actually interest you? Your imagination trumps canon?

I never said canon doesn't interest me.

Your confirmation may be enough for you, but it's not for me. Unless it's an in-universe depiction of his body being atomized or his corpse rotting after being dead for several hours, then I will still feel like there is the potential for him to come back.
Where does this even imply I consider my imagination trumps canon?

I think anyone would agree an in-universe depiction of death or lack thereof would have a higher canonical value than a statement from 343 saying that he's dead, because:

A. 343 could change their mind.
B. 343 could be deliberately misinforming us to make it a bigger surprise, if they did in fact decide to bring him back.

If 343 had an in-universe depiction of his death, I would have nothing to base this idea on and they would have no way to change their mind, it would be definitive.
Yet why is the confirmation not acceptable to you? That's the problem. His death is a fact, but you refuse to believe it because it doesn't match up to your opinion. As has been said, you have thus far relied on evidence-less assumptions. Maybe Bias teleported him? Where is your evidence? Maybe Sentinels caught him? Where is your evidence? We do see the control room collapsing, the ring collapsing and the ring explode with it doing damage to the Ark. That isn't up for debate. Using the "343 may be misleading us" or "They'll change their minds" line of reasoning is not good enough since the exact opposite could be true and it just becomes circular argument. So really, you have no evidence to back yourself up while I have absolute proof. The theory collapses.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7