Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Could Sgt. Johnson still be alive?

OP EWOKofDESTINY

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. ...
  7. 7
Luke Del wrote:
He doesn't have any regenerative abilities, he fought his way out of the flood's ambush.
I have to disagree here and I believe the information from Halo: First Strike is still valid.
Here is your original post.

Quote:
I know this is a bit of a stretch, but I was thinking that perhaps Mendicant Bias was able to teleport him to safety somewhere within the Ark and revive him using advanced forerunner techniques.
- Mendicant Bias has been shown to want a Reclaimer around to fulfill his atonement.
- We never see what happens to his body (just that it starts sliding away as Chief is running),
- Besides I believe Linda was even more damaged that Sgt. Johnson and Halsey was able to bring her back using limited human tech.
I think it would be an incredible "WOW" moment in Halo 5 to be fighting waves of Prometheans and then a figure in Forerunner armor appears and disarms Master Chief after an intense hand to hand combat fight scene, thinking its the end, Chief shields his face expecting to be shot dead, but when nothing happens he looks up as the mysterious figure takes off his helmet to reveal Sgt. Johnson.
What are your thoughts on this?

You made the claim that perhaps Johnson was teleported away and revived him with Forerunner technology. I asked you through these past five pages for you to provide evidence for that. You have not and instead shifted to potentially 343 rewriting canon to have Johnson be alive all the whole forgetting that such a claim would also be true in its reverse, 343 may very well not change Johnson remaining dead. Now that you admitted you have no evidence to back yourself up, why should anyone take your theory seriously when you evidently do not? You understand that while canon can change, and sometimes has to, it isn't something done for the sake fan-service or just because. Every reason you stated would justify Johnson's revival could be used to justify anybody's return, which you oddly seem to draw the line at in certain cases like Miranda.
I have already told you countless times that I don't have specific evidence. My original post is what I consider a plausible explanation on how Sgt. Johnson could be alive. All I was doing was speculating on a way he COULD be alive and giving reasons why I felt that my speculation was plausible. I have spent 5 pages explaining this to you. I never claimed that he IS alive, something that would need specific evidence. The title of this thread is Could Sgt. Johnson be alive?, not that Sgt. Johnson IS alive, or I think Sgt. Johnson is alive, or anything else that would suggest I am making the claim that he is alive. The reason I take my theory seriously, is there is enough circumstantial evidence (not direct evidence) that makes his survival possible, within the framework of what we know of Halo lore, and what has done in the past with his character (and other characters) by Bungie and 343i.

With this said, it shouldn't be odd to you why I draw the line with certain cases. I have based my speculation off of circumstantial evidence that provides explanation and increases the likelihood/probability on Johnson's survival. I don't want Johnson or any character to make an arbitrary return to the Halo series without an adequate explanation on his/her survival by 343i. An explanation that is believable. Certain facts established by Halo lore, make me feel that a return by Johnson is within the realm of "believability."

Miranda Keyes: A normal human being wearing no armor, shot by multiple rounds from a brute spiker. Last seen in a room filled with flood who were actively converting the dead and alive into flood biomass.

Sgt. Johnson: A spartan-1, speculated to be immune to the flood, with regenerative capabilities, got shot by a laser to his armor's chest-piece. Last seen in a room without flood.

If you didn't know their outcomes.......if you had to bet money on one of them surviving............who would you put your money on? Sgt. Johnson right?

The fact is 343i could very well write Miranda back into the story, but they would have an extremely difficult time making that narrative believable and consistent within the framework of Halo lore. How would she avoid infection when Truth, who was alive at the time, couldn't even prevent himself from turning into flood? The barriers that one question alone creates makes it a huge narrative challenge writing Miranda back in a clear and believable way.
Could Johnson still be alive? No, because his death has been confirmed already. He is dead in the same way Noble Six, Miranda Keyes, Jorge-052 and countless others have been killed and their deaths confirmed. Fairly sure you drew the line at a few of these individuals being dead, so I don't see why Johnson is special. Now you say you accept that he is dead, but you still claim their is a high probability that he could have survived. THAT is where you need to provide evidence. You claim circumstantial evidence, but can you point to a non-AI character in Halo who had a confirmed death by the developers who returned? If you're only position is that retcons happen, then my scenario with Miranda is just as valid no matter how much you oppose it.
Could Johnson still be alive? No, because his death has been confirmed already. He is dead in the same way Noble Six, Miranda Keyes, Jorge-052 and countless others have been killed and their deaths confirmed. Fairly sure you drew the line at a few of these individuals being dead, so I don't see why Johnson is special. Now you say you accept that he is dead, but you still claim their is a high probability that he could have survived. THAT is where you need to provide evidence. You claim circumstantial evidence, but can you point to a non-AI character in Halo who had a confirmed death by the developers who returned? If you're only position is that retcons happen, then my scenario with Miranda is just as valid no matter how much you oppose it.
You are honestly missing the point and I don't even know what you are trying to argue anymore.

Also Johnson is "special" because his circumstances of death provide enough opportunities for a competent writer to run with. We see Noble Six get dog piled by a bunch of elites. Miranda Keys gets shot and killed in a room infested with flood, Jorge sacrificed himself to trigger a slipspace explosion. The context of their deaths don't really provide much room for speculation. How would you explain any of their survivals in a way that is logical and consistent with the Halo universe? If you can explain a way....then awesome! That's the entire point of this thread, I wanted to discuss and speculate, not debate if he's canonically dead or not.
That's the point, I can't think of a logical and/or good way to bring those characters back and neither can I for Johnson. Thus far you haven't convinced me of the plausibility of Johnson's death no matter how much you claim Johnson's circumstances are in the air. Could 343 retcon his fate? Sure. Could 343 not retcon his fate? Sure. Now it is up to you to argue why Johnson could still be alive based on evidence.
He got fry with a laser!
That's the point, I can't think of a logical and/or good way to bring those characters back and neither can I for Johnson. Thus far you haven't convinced me of the plausibility of Johnson's death no matter how much you claim Johnson's circumstances are in the air. Could 343 retcon his fate? Sure. Could 343 not retcon his fate? Sure. Now it is up to you to argue why Johnson could still be alive based on evidence.
You are asking for direct evidence that doesn't exist. I can only use circumstantial evidence because that's all I have. I can make inferences. Which I have. Example:

Reclaimers are needed to activate major functions on the Halo installations, including the Ark.

Mendicant Bias is on the Ark.

Teleportation technology is an ubiquitous feature on Forerunner installations.

Forerunner medical knowledge is vast, we know this due to their near infinite lifespan and ability to manipulate genetics.

With that said, why is it implausible to you that mendicant bias teleported Johnson away shortly after getting lasered and healed him? All the elements needed for that scenario to take place factually exist within the Halo Universe?

Especially given our knowledge of Johnson's durability (Spartan-1 augments) and regenerative capability?

You are honestly missing the point and I don't even know what you are trying to argue anymore.

Also Johnson is "special" because his circumstances of death provide enough opportunities for a competent writer to run with. We see Noble Six get dog piled by a bunch of elites. Miranda Keys gets shot and killed in a room infested with flood, Jorge sacrificed himself to trigger a slipspace explosion. The context of their deaths don't really provide much room for speculation. How would you explain any of their survivals in a way that is logical and consistent with the Halo universe? If you can explain a way....then awesome! That's the entire point of this thread, I wanted to discuss and speculate, not debate if he's canonically dead or not.
Avery Johnson... Abdominal burns most likely massive organ failure from forerunner energy laser. Brain damage would have occurred moments after we saw him die in MC arms. No life signs had been detected after UNSC Rubicon sweep Of the system. There are so many flaws its pure conjecture entirely built on a lack inference.

Your theory boils down to I didn't see the body so you know things. You are in a section of the forum in which canon nuts scrutinize and nip pick on canon. The Original OP asked
Could AJJ still be alive?

Plain hard truth answer from the evidence:
No he's dead so dead we can give you a time stamp, date and location with corresponding evidence that he didn't live with more resent media. I'm sorry there is no maybe about it‼

No it would not be cool if he came back. I for one would be pissed if the reoccurring themes of halo; duty, honour and sacrifice had no meaning as those committing such acts could be brought back at the push of a button‼

😔 cereals let it go. Ppl would rather see palmer die like a champ* than see AJJ become Jesus.

Subjective, I just want her dead*
Sigh, these threads again.

In short, Spark's beam likely almost burnt him in half (not shown in cutscene because excessive gore is not bungie's thing), he died in john's arms, fell into, what appears to be a several hundred meter pit, was caught in a nearly planet sized explosion, is now subjected to the vacuum of space, and he is on the ark, then he would of burned up falling into atmosphere and would of been crushed by the impact of his fall if any size able parts of his corpse remained.

He's pretty damned dead, dude.

You are asking for direct evidence that doesn't exist. I can only use circumstantial evidence because that's all I have. I can make inferences. Which I have. Example:

Reclaimers are needed to activate major functions on the Halo installations, including the Ark.

Mendicant Bias is on the Ark.

Teleportation technology is an ubiquitous feature on Forerunner installations.

Forerunner medical knowledge is vast, we know this due to their near infinite lifespan and ability to manipulate genetics.

With that said, why is it implausible to you that mendicant bias teleported Johnson away shortly after getting lasered and healed him? All the elements needed for that scenario to take place factually exist within the Halo Universe?

Especially given our knowledge of Johnson's durability (Spartan-1 augments) and regenerative capability?
Reclaimers are indeed needed to activate major function on Forerunner sites, yet evidently Bias was in no need to activate anything since nothing really has happened with the Ark 6-7 years after Halo 3 besides Spark hijacking a UNSC ship and no sign of Johnson was found. You'd think Bias would take note of all those new Reclaimers and alert them of a surviving Johnson, but nope. You cite teleportation, but if Bias could spend time teleporting Johnson's body, why not put Chief and the Arbiter on the Dawn? Seems counterproductive. The Forerunners could not reanimate the dead, so that is where the idea falls apart in the end. Johnson had durability and regenerative capabilities, but not immortality. He was shot point-blank in the chest without power armor or shielding with a laser.

Sorry, but your circumstantial evidence doesn't help.
As much as I liked the character I am sure he is dead.
I thought he would have been incinerated in the explosion afterwards.
A few hours ago I thouhgt about that, and one - I think - interesting question came up, is it possible that Johnson was infested, after his death? Because the Flood was very close to the Controll Room, so maybe an infection form, find him, and then Johnson became the part of the Flood. What do you think?
there has been a glitch where Johnson comes back to life, only to be half infected by the flood afterwards.
You are all forgetting, the forerunner constructs, Knights, crawlers, etc, they all were made from humans. Who's to say Johnson might not come back as a soldier or knight or something.
don't let 343 get to the pure, uncorrupted johnson
First question I would have after reading through all of this would be , Why would Bias have any interest in saving Johnson? He isn't important to the story arc of the Forerunners and was only a major character because the fans fell in love with him during C.E.
I have to agree with Halsey here and say that despite any and all circumstantial evidence , the direct evidence presents as "He is dead".
Sparkywolf wrote:
You are all forgetting, the forerunner constructs, Knights, crawlers, etc, they all were made from humans. Who's to say Johnson might not come back as a soldier or knight or something.
You are forgetting , Johnson died years before the discovery of Requiem and the use of any Composer. Also for the Composer to have worked on Johnson at all he would have to have been on Earth , but Avery died on an Installation , and was likely vaporized in the explosion.
Here is a thought everyone. Johnson was originally part of the Spartan program. As such, I guarantee the UNSC and ONI have his DNA. I once heard a theory that Johnson is still alive and his appearances so far have been clones. If this is true it would make sense that he "died" but he is still "alive" at the same time.
I dunno. After the weird stuff that happened in Hunters in the Dark with Tragic Solitude, and the Rubicon and Guilty Spark still being alive, I honestly could see Johnson possibly making a return somehow if 343i wanted it to happen.

It honestly wouldn't bother me as Johnson was a fav of mine, his death sucked, and there is a legit possibility that could work that he didn't actually die, so I'm indifferent.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. ...
  7. 7