Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Could the Forerunners have fled to the lesser ark?

OP KH Foofoo14

Despite the destruction of the Greater ark by the Gravemind and its forces, surely the lesser ark would have been relatively safe from flood infestation. Would it have been feasible for the Forerunner Ecumene its remaining citizens to flee to the lesser ark and remotely activate the entire Halo array to ensure the survival of their species and civilization instead of only a small number of forerunners surviving?
I'd lean towards probably not. The more Forerunner hidden away would be more potential knowledge/biomass for the Flood.
I've no idea how many Forerunners remained at that time. I like to imagine it would have been too much to fit on the Ark. Even if it was large enough, slipspace was way too taxed at that time to allow everyone to jump there in time. Halo Wars 2 also tells us that there was a Flood sample on the Ark similar to the Halo rings, so an outbreak could have caused an infestation at any time.

I don't think that they're all extinct, anyway. Any shield world could have a cryptum with preserved Forerunners. Plus any that fled beyond the reach of the array.
Despite the destruction of the Greater ark by the Gravemind and its forces, surely the lesser ark would have been relatively safe from flood infestation. Would it have been feasible for the Forerunner Ecumene its remaining citizens to flee to the lesser ark and remotely activate the entire Halo array to ensure the survival of their species and civilization instead of only a small number of forerunners surviving?
The Forerunners thought both Arks were hidden from the Flood, so the Forerunners relocated all of the other races they were preserving to the Lesser Ark, so they could have the Greater Ark to themselves. By the time the Flood arrived, there weren't the ships or time to evacuate the Forerunners.
Pretty much an amalgamation of the above posts. The Forerunners split the remaining specimens among the two arks, keeping the greater ark largely to themselves as far as I know. Then when the Gravemind showed up with star roads to destroy the greater ark, the Forerunners on the greater ark had no time or means to escape their impending doom.

It's also important to mention that slip space was completely screwed up by the end of the Forerunner-Flood War. The reconciliation debt accrued over the years from moving the Halo Array into position, as well as the Gravemind mucking up the slip space routes, made it next to impossible to transport massive numbers of Forerunners or ships across the galaxy. So even if the Forerunners had a means to escape the greater ark, they would have been stuck in the mess that became of slip space travel.
I think they did stay on the lesser ark for a while because that’s how they fired the halo array the first time. Then after they saw it work and reseeded the galaxy the few survivors that were left were horrified at what they had to do to stop the flood. So they left the galaxy and put themselves into isolation for the rest of their lives.
You know there might very well be some surviving descendants of the Forerunners outside the galaxy. We know that a self-isolating agrarian community of them were residing on Path-Kethona -- having been removed from the main Forerunner genetical strain for millions of years. It's possible that the descendants of Bornstellar and the lifeworkers who ventured out to live beyond the galaxy could have developed their own separate civilisation.
Sedrin wrote:
You know there might very well be some surviving descendants of the Forerunners outside the galaxy. We know that a self-isolating agrarian community of them were residing on Path-Kethona -- having been removed from the main Forerunner genetical strain for millions of years. It's possible that the descendants of Bornstellar and the lifeworkers who ventured out to live beyond the galaxy could have developed their own separate civilisation.
I (not so) secretly want Bornsteallar to still be kicking around. I'd get a kick out of Chief coming across him at some point. I wonder if he looks like a mirror image of the Didact we fought in 4 or if the 100,000 years has aged him terribly without the right armour conditions.
MysticKami wrote:
Sedrin wrote:
I (not so) secretly want Bornsteallar to still be kicking around. I'd get a kick out of Chief coming across him at some point. I wonder if he looks like a mirror image of the Didact we fought in 4 or if the 100,000 years has aged him terribly without the right armour conditions.
The issue is that Bornstellar and the others decided among themselves to scatter across their own galaxy and abandon their armor so they'd grow old and die, allowing the galaxy to continue without them. Most of those surviving Forerunners were dropped on planets without a ship to leave on, so they definitely didn't leave, and I fully believe that Bornstellar and his wife would be content to grow old and die together... though the only thing that might throw a wrench into that plan would be their child, who could potentially find the Audacity and his father's armor... and if he had access to an AI, he could conceivably pull a "Doctor Who" and explore the galaxy as the last of his species, in a ship more advanced than anyone alive has ever seen.

That's not an outcome I'd root for, but it is more plausible than Bornstellar still being out there.