Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Covenant Fun?

OP WWelchIII

Lore Wise, what did the Covenant do for fun? I know there is many beings within just curious if anyone could tell me?
Glass planets.
Having a nice Sunday BBQ with human flesh.
Jackals seemed to enjoy withholding toys from their Grunt squadmates according to the cutscene before “Delta Halo.”
In lore Sangheili spend time training, making sure their keep is in order (meetings with local councils etc) and sparring, or visiting their spouse.

Kig Yar spend time with their horde of trophies from their conquests, and trading with other races.

Ungoy trade breathable gases for recreation and mate (although they also seem to spend time with human stuffed toys as well from cut scenes).

Huragok take stuff apart and try to remake it more efficiently.

Jiralhanae don’t have much recorded, but with their culture I would assume they use their downtime to plot on how to become the chieftain of their group.

Mgalekgolo I don’t think ever relax, though a single worm from the colony might wonder off to tunnel.

Yanme’e either don’t relax (workers) or relax all the time (Queens).
WWelchIII wrote:
Lore Wise, what did the Covenant do for fun? I know there is many beings within just curious if anyone could tell me?
I think they kill umanity, glass planets, pray the gods and other things like play with toys
The
In lore Sangheili spend time training, making sure their keep is in order (meetings with local councils etc) and sparring, or visiting their spouse.

Kig Yar spend time with their horde of trophies from their conquests, and trading with other races.

Ungoy trade breathable gases for recreation and mate (although they also seem to spend time with human stuffed toys as well from cut scenes).

Jiralhanae don’t have much recorded, but with their culture I would assume they use their downtime to plot on how to become the chieftain of their group.

Mgalekgolo I don’t think ever relax, though a single worm from the colony might wonder off to tunnel.

The San'Shyumm probably debate politics or plot how to best become a politician/deity.
In Halo 3 we see brutes throw around Marines, dose that count 😆

I'm glad at least someone took the time to put together a serious post for this. Everyone else is just spamming nonsense for the sake of being 'funny' or trying to add to their post count.

Elites probably have competitive games beyond training. They are a warrior culture but so long as something is geared towards improving oneself it wouldn't be seen as a waste of time. Hunting and other physical activities would also be one the table.

Jackals, outside of pirating and being sneaky and trying to commit genocide against the Grunts...They'd probably spend the time as you said, luxuriating in their hordes and competing for mates.

Grunts, outside of what you said, also listen to human music and watch human entertainment. It is why they're often used to translate human languages and serve as communication analysts, because they're so well versed.

Huragok, as you said, love to experiment with new engineering tasks and exploring new technology. Not to mention the personal satisfaction they get from repairing broken stuff.

Brutes, well, Brutes are easy. They fight each other for positions of dominance in the pack, as do dogs and wolves. Really only the upper pack members are largely safe so long as they continue to project dominance over the others. I'm sure that Brutes also partake in sports, and most definitely blood sports (gladiator combat), both with each other and using lesser members of the Covenant, captured humans and random animals. They also love to eat.

Hunters: Hunters are, as you said, the most alien of the various Covenant species, but we do know that they write and recite war poems and debate philosophy, at least among themselves.

Drones: Drones are very single minded, as you said but not entirely devoid of individual personalities. For example, Hop-A-Long in one of the comics exhibiting enough individual traits that he was able to somehow trick a group of Spartans. But yes, they largely share emotions throughout their hives (getting jealous of the Huragok, for example) so they'd probably be content with whatever they were ordered to do. Queens, being the leaders, would no doubt have individual desires, but they'd probably fall in line with the needs of the hive.
There's material out there of course.
Post-Halo 3, there's more than a few examples of most species co-mingling in bars (including a Sangheili in Escalation that's so drunk, its throwing up), and its probably not humanity that's introduced them to that concept.
Joe Staten has always put forward little bits in his novels that have pointed towards things like recreational smoking/drugs, and has hinted towards things like Banshees performing airshow displays on celebratory occasions.

I'd point towards Contact Harvest, Shadow of Intent and Legacy of Onyx as some of the more interesting stories to explore this kind of question, as they aren't 100% focused on war or for the stakes constantly having to be super high.
They all provide insights into more casual and normal moments, which are honestly parts of the universe I'd like to see explored more often.
If there had been more of those moments, I might not have lapsed so heavily with Halo as a whole as they would have helped to balance out against Halo 4 and inparticular the Kilo-Five trilogy.
It’s mentioned in some novels that the Covenant would occasionally take human prisoners to kill for sport. There’s also Sangheili “Rubix Cubes”, and Unggoy played Hunting Rock. But outside of their military and religion not a lot has been explored about Covenant lives.