Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Del Rio appreciation thread.

OP IRISHWARSLUG789

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Put that pitch-fork down, friend, because I am not trying to say that Del Rio was an amazing character. He was needlessly aggressive to Chief and Cortana, and was a Grade-A -Yoink-... Grayson.

However, lets all give some praise to Mark Rolston, who played (former) Cpt. Del Rio. His scene where he gets the munchies for Cortana's chip actually showed some class acting. He really gave it his all, and it shows in the game. I loved Chiefs character arc in H4, and it is because of Mr. Rolston that we got to see the Chief actually deny orders and verbally eviscerate Del Rio. "The Didact needs to be stopped. If you wont do that, I will." and then when Del Rio tries to demand the Dorito from Chief he says "No sir"
The whole scene is honestly one of my favorite from the entire series.

Let's give Mr. Rolston some credit where credit is due, eh?
Inb4 Del Rio did nothing wrong

But yeah, good stuff. Halo 4 had some really great voice acting, which really brought out the great character development that game's campaign had (for the most part).
Inb4 Del Rio did nothing wrong

But yeah, good stuff. Halo 4 had some really great voice acting, which really brought out the great character development that game's campaign had (for the most part).
Yup.
I honestly thought that Steve Downes and Jen Taylor gave the best performances of any game I have ever played. The Last of Us is probably a notch above it in my book, but I am still amazed that Downes was able to give so much character and emotion to a man whose face is hidden.
And Jen Taylor is the woMan, man.
Yeah, I think he was actually a pretty decent character and his VA did a great job. I don't know if a secondary antagonist was really necessary in the game, but they did a good job with it.
The VAs did such a great job in Halo 4. Honestly at some points you forget that these characters voices come from someone in a studio behind a microphone and not themselves, and that shows just how great they were. Voice Acting here in the west just keeps getting better every year... game wise at least, they still suck in a lot of animation shows.
The VAs did such a great job in Halo 4. Honestly at some points you forget that these characters voices come from someone in a studio behind a microphone and not themselves, and that shows just how great they were. Voice Acting here in the west just keeps getting better every year... game wise at least, they still suck in a lot of animation shows.
Yup. Laskey was also super well done, as well as Didact.
Actually, now that I think of it, I cannot think of one character that was not interesting('cept maybe Palmer) or completely unlikeable in Halo 4. Everyone of the actors bring their best work forward, and that gives us the ability to care for characters like Dr. Tilson who was in one mission.
The terminals also had amazing work from the V.A's of Ur-Didact(who shows that Didact was a good and honorable warrior before the Gravemind got him) and the Librarian, who really shows that she loved Didact and wanted to preserve life.
Wow. I just realized that stellar V.A work is essential for a good story.
Awesome character. Terrible captain. I do wonder if he was just being overly safe, didn't actually understand what the didact was capable of , or felt he was in a power struggle with the Chief.

In the event of trying to decommission cortana , he was right and wrong. As far off the deep end as she was , she was needed.
Well Del Rio was a moron.. But he was a technically RIGHT moron.
He was a complete jerk and I hated the guy. If a voice actor and writer can make me feel that strongly about a video game character, then I would say that they've done an excellent job at writing and bringing that character to life. All in all, I would say good job to all of those involved in creating this character, they've done a fantastic job!
I really enjoy his role as a senator; it fits perfectly for his revenge of being undermined by S-117.
I appreciate that he brought some likely unintended humor to some of Halo 4's story.
Spoiler:
Show
I don't understand the hate Del Rio gets. He was a good character and a good captain. Even though he was a total jerk. Seriously, what was he supposed to do? Stay on requiem and confront a forerunner plus Jul's entire covenant armada? And only going off of the word of a rampant AI and a Spartan who had a "vision" says so? No, he needed to get his crew to safety and follow protocol. That's what was best. The infinity would have destroyed if they pursued.

Because he left requiem and went home to Earth, the infinity was there to assist when the Mantle's approach attacked. If he had stayed there's no way the infinity would have beaten the Didact to Earth and many people would have died.

Worst part is, they removed him of his position because of what he did. Super unfair if you ask me.

#DelRio'sLifeMatters
I appreciate that he brought some likely unintended humor to some of Halo 4's story.
Spoiler:
Show
I thought it was actually pretty well acted. I didn't find it funny.

...but, I do laugh at his obsession with Pringles.
JV11077 wrote:
I don't understand the hate Del Rio gets. He was a good character and a good captain. Even though he was a total jerk. Seriously, what was he supposed to do? Stay on requiem and confront a forerunner plus Jul's entire covenant armada? And only going off of the word of a rampant AI and a Spartan who had a "vision" says so? No, he needed to get his crew to safety and follow protocol. That's what was best. The infinity would have destroyed if they pursued.

Because he left requiem and went home to Earth, the infinity was there to assist when the Mantle's approach attacked. If he had stayed there's no way the infinity would have beaten the Didact to Earth and many people would have died.

Worst part is, they removed him of his position because of what he did. Super unfair if you ask me.

#DelRio'sLifeMatters
Yeah but if Infinity of stayed there would have been a good chance that Didact wouldn't have been able to escape Requiem. Cortana almost managed to trap him, but if Infinity had been there to back Chief and her up, I think they would have been able to do it.
JV11077 wrote:

#DelRio'sLifeMatters
Yeah but if Infinity of stayed there would have been a good chance that Didact wouldn't have been able to escape Requiem. Cortana almost managed to trap him, but if Infinity had been there to back Chief and her up, I think they would have been able to do it.
Ah, true. I forgot about that. Could be said that having the infinity being involved wouldn't have sped up the process and wouldn't have been much use anyways. Especially since only a reclaimer/chief could activate those forerunner things that you had to walk into.
Spoiler:
Show

I found it funny because he gets suddenly gets so angry in the middle of his sentence. It was kinda bizarre to me.
While a lot of his base decisions make sense the way he acts just seems overly atagonistic. The whole not getting Intel thing was really weird.

That being said I don't get why he could trust turn the ship 90 degrees and blast the didact orb with the main macs. The smaller ones were enough to force him to leave, ones that can cut a hole in mantles approach, even if relatively small, would have wrecked that cryptum.
Spoiler:
Show

I found it funny because he gets suddenly gets so angry in the middle of his sentence. It was kinda bizarre to me.
He goes from quiet angry to loud angry.
My parents have done that all the time.

...But that's just my interpretation.
Oh yes absolutely; strictly from an acting perspective, his voice actor was fantastic. Yet another aspect of Halo 4's campaign and story that you appreciate more and more with each playthrough.

(If only he'd eaten the Dorito... maybe we coulda been spared the Created.)
After reading everyone's comments, I think Del Rio made the right choice leaving requium, but the storey that would be pasted around the crew of infinity would be that the captain abandoned the Master Chief.

ONI and the UNSC would have to move Del Rio to a nice comfy desk job with a decent severance to save face.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3