Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Del Rio appreciation thread.

OP IRISHWARSLUG789

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Del Rio gets it. He was a good character and a good captain. What he needed to get his crew to safety and follow the sanitary protocol
Del Rio consigue. Era buen ONU Carácter y Un buen capitán lo que necesitaba para obtener su tripulación a la seguridad y seguir el protocolo
Uhh, si?
Del Rio gets it. He was a good character and a good captain. What he needed to get his crew to safety and follow the sanitary protocol
Si, I agree.
Just as an FYI...

If The Chief would have surrendered Cortana's chip...the whole Guardian's fiasco would probably not have happened.

"Give me that Chip" *Proceeds to put it in his desk* *forgets about it forever*
And then the Didact would have crushed Earth Orbital Defense even more than he did and composed humanity.
I don't know if this has already been said, but I didn't much like Del Rio in Halo 4. Not because he defied the Chief, but because of the way he was presented doing so. I'm sure his primary concern was the safety of his crew, but his portrayal made him seem as though he just had a really inexplicably huge chip on his shoulder about Master Chief.

If they'd just made minor adjustments to his dialogue to include mention of the ship's or the crew's safety, it would have made him a much more grounded and relatable character while maintaining his position as a minor antagonist to Chief.
JNDreher wrote:
Del Rio was a believable character, but he definitely handled that whole situation very badly. His first mistake was being completely dismissive of a war hero who's accomplished more than he ever will. Remember, at this point Master Chief has prevented galactic genocide three times over the course of a year, and been in stasis since, so he's no less on his game than when he accomplished all of that. Secondly, trying to make a power play against humanity's most beloved hero wasn't smart, as he had no chance to win. Getting overtly angry and yelling at the Chief only made his situation worse. After that encounter, no one on the bridge still respected him the way they would have up to that point.
I suspect that if Del Rio had stayed, the Didact could have been prevented from leaving (Master Chief being backed up by the Infinity, and Cortana backed up by Roland), and as a result, Earth wouldn't have been attacked with the Composer, Cortana wouldn't have had to shed her fragments, which means a piece of her wouldn't have ended up leading an AI rebellion against the galaxy, and Spartan Black Team would still be alive. Granted, I don't think she could have been repaired, so she probably would have been terminated upon her return to human-controlled space.
Roland wasn't around at the time. He hadn't been created yet. Cortana would be on her own still.
JNDreher wrote:
Del Rio was a believable character, but he definitely handled that whole situation very badly. His first mistake was being completely dismissive of a war hero who's accomplished more than he ever will. Remember, at this point Master Chief has prevented galactic genocide three times over the course of a year, and been in stasis since, so he's no less on his game than when he accomplished all of that. Secondly, trying to make a power play against humanity's most beloved hero wasn't smart, as he had no chance to win. Getting overtly angry and yelling at the Chief only made his situation worse. After that encounter, no one on the bridge still respected him the way they would have up to that point.
I suspect that if Del Rio had stayed, the Didact could have been prevented from leaving (Master Chief being backed up by the Infinity, and Cortana backed up by Roland), and as a result, Earth wouldn't have been attacked with the Composer, Cortana wouldn't have had to shed her fragments, which means a piece of her wouldn't have ended up leading an AI rebellion against the galaxy, and Spartan Black Team would still be alive. Granted, I don't think she could have been repaired, so she probably would have been terminated upon her return to human-controlled space.
Roland wasn't around at the time. He hadn't been created yet. Cortana would be on her own still.
OK, but wouldn't the UNSC have had another AI on the most powerful ship they'd ever designed before they got Roland? Shipboard AI are pretty standard, so Cortana would have had someone to help.
JNDreher wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
OK, but wouldn't the UNSC have had another AI on the most powerful ship they'd ever designed before they got Roland? Shipboard AI are pretty standard, so Cortana would have had someone to help.
Infinity had an AI, but it was disabled when it crashed on Requiem.
Well del rio's decision not to pursue the Didact has to be understood...he had the biggest ship in the UNSC navy with thousands of souls on board and if were to attack and lose then he would have probably lost all his crew and ship. He was already taken down by the didact once. In a way I can't blame him for his decision,
Halokid003 wrote:
Well del rio's decision not to pursue the Didact has to be understood...he had the biggest ship in the UNSC navy with thousands of souls on board and if were to attack and lose then he would have probably lost all his crew and ship. He was already taken down by the didact once. In a way I can't blame him for his decision,
Eh, I can agree with both sides on that.
JNDreher wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
The EMP pulse that took down infinity in Halo 4 destroyed the original AI.
JNDreher wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
The EMP pulse that took down infinity in Halo 4 destroyed the original AI.
Actually it's pronounced Emp.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3