Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Did you like Halo Silentium?

OP MochaNight67368

Hi everyone,

I have just finished Halo Silentium ( I am starting Halo from the very beginning, I have read it before) and I was wondering how the Halo Lore community generally feels Silentium and Greg Bear's work in Halo in general?

Personally, I think Halo Silentium is probably top 3 works of Halo (Games, Comics, Etc). The sheer amount of tie-ins Silentium plays into future works and possible future concepts for the Halo universe is staggering. The style of the book is strange even in relation to its two predecessors (which are quite different than the rest of the franchise already) because Greg Bear decided to have half the book be primarily about the Librarian and UR- Didact's separate paths to the end of Forerunner civilization, but once it reaches the present day of the story there is a strange interlude that shows various Forerunner perspectives during the war and assumingly a passage of time that successfully creates the tension that civilization is completely at an end. Then the final half essentially ties up all the loose ends that tie into so many pieces of future media. I really feel this is best work 343 has overseen in their time as stewards of the franchise

So, I was just wondering about YOUR thoughts on it!
Hi everyone,

I have just finished Halo Silentium ( I am starting Halo from the very beginning, I have read it before) and I was wondering how the Halo Lore community generally feels Silentium and Greg Bear's work in Halo in general?

Personally, I think Halo Silentium is probably top 3 works of Halo (Games, Comics, Etc). The sheer amount of tie-ins Silentium plays into future works and possible future concepts for the Halo universe is staggering. The style of the book is strange even in relation to its two predecessors (which are quite different than the rest of the franchise already) because Greg Bear decided to have half the book be primarily about the Librarian and UR- Didact's separate paths to the end of Forerunner civilization, but once it reaches the present day of the story there is a strange interlude that shows various Forerunner perspectives during the war and assumingly a passage of time that successfully creates the tension that civilization is completely at an end. Then the final half essentially ties up all the loose ends that tie into so many pieces of future media. I really feel this is best work 343 has overseen in their time as stewards of the franchise

Top 8 for sure,but nothing touches the nylons trilogy
Greg Bear's Halo trilogy is definitely top-tier Halo lore.
Hi everyone,

Top 8 for sure,but nothing touches the nylons trilogy
Halsey's Journal and Impossible Life and Possible Death of Admiral Cole is amazing too!
Yeah I like it. I like learning the forerunner perspectives on humanity, events and other things just like in the earlier two books with Bornstellar, Chakas and Riser.
I enjoyed all three books. However, I think some of my ability to enjoy them was hampered due to my lack of understanding them. When I read a book I picture the scene like I'm trying to film a movie. Normally works for most books I read however there's so much grand scale stuff in these books like Precursor tech that I have a really hard time picturing. Thus much of the books were lost on me. Hopefully that will change when I reread them in a bit.
I enjoyed all three books. However, I think some of my ability to enjoy them was hampered due to my lack of understanding them. When I read a book I picture the scene like I'm trying to film a movie. Normally works for most books I read however there's so much grand scale stuff in these books like Precursor tech that I have a really hard time picturing. Thus much of the books were lost on me. Hopefully that will change when I reread them in a bit.
Definitely took a re-read for me to truly appreciate these books. I want another trilogy like this, or even just a book about the rise of ancient humanity and another about the war between the Forerunners and the Precursors
Great boom to start with.
Definitely took a re-read for me to truly appreciate these books. I want another trilogy like this, or even just a book about the rise of ancient humanity and another about the war between the Forerunners and the Precursors
I'd be quite interested to see more of Ancient Humanity too. Could be pretty interesting!
That is exactly how I felt about the Forerunner trilogy the first time I read it. I reread and understood it much better, but at the same time, Greg Bear has a very ambiguous style to his writing and it still leaves a lot to the personal imagination and the settings are not well set. It did improve though over the 2nd reading.

His style is actually perfect for a trilogy about Forerunners though. It gives a bit of the mysticism to the era while pulling the curtain back
His style also I think being ambiguous really leaves the door open for a different author to explore with a unique more concrete style.
To my mind, it is the magnum opus of this series.
To my mind, it is the magnum opus of this series.
It definitely is. I always thought of it narratively as the fulcrum of the entire series.
It's right at the top on my list. The Librarian being my favorite character, I love how the story ends also can we all take a moment to appreciate how cool the Librarian was???
Spoiler:
Show
It's right at the top on my list. The Librarian being my favorite character, I love how the story ends also can we all take a moment to appreciate how cool the Librarian was???
Spoiler:
Show
I think the great reawakening of Precursor technology was one of my favorite things about the trilogy because I had in my mind a fixed idea of just the Flood simply overwhelming them through sheer number. This adds a really great nuance of how destructive the Flood was by the end of it. I also loved the Halos destroying all that tech because it made the event singular and never to happen again. The amount of loss experienced at the end of activating them is just huge when you spend 3 books discussing how important the Domain is.