Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Difference: UNSC Marine vs UNSCDF Army trooper?

OP SableVENOM

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
As the title implies, I wonder if there's any notable difference (training, equipment, etc.) between a soldier from the UNSC Marine Corps vs. a trooper from the the UNSCDF Army?
I'm a big Halo fan but despite that my knowledge falls short in some cases.

Also for clarification, I'm referring to soldiers who fought against the Covenant during the war (Reach, CE, H2, H3, H3: ODST etc.) and not after (H4, H5: Guardians).
It's probably fairly similar to the differences between a US Marine and a US Army soldier, since that's mostly what they were based off of. Marines are likely better trained, have stricter requirements and regulations, and have better/newer equipment than Army troopers. It also seems like marines did most of the fighting, since the Army has only been seen (or even mentioned, really) on Reach.
I figured as much. Does anyone know if a UNSCDF Army troopers can advance further (SpecWar?) or if ODST's and other non-Spartan special forces are restricted to the Marine Corps and/or ONI?
The Sorge wrote:
It's probably fairly similar to the differences between a US Marine and a US Army soldier, since that's mostly what they were based off of. Marines are likely better trained, have stricter requirements and regulations, and have better/newer equipment than Army troopers. It also seems like marines did most of the fighting, since the Army has only been seen (or even mentioned, really) on Reach.
The Army did its fair share of fighting (ex; Algolis in Halo Legends where an Army Corps of Engineers battalion was involved), its just that the games and books tend to focus on naval/Spartan engagements...and what do UNSC ships carry for ground campaigns?
Marines.
They had their fights, we just never saw them in the narrow specturm of the universe we've seen.

Other than that I agree. Though the Army seems to use older stuff that they know and trust that works. Its most likely personal preference more than anything else.
7
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
The Sorge wrote:
It's probably fairly similar to the differences between a US Marine and a US Army soldier, since that's mostly what they were based off of. Marines are likely better trained, have stricter requirements and regulations, and have better/newer equipment than Army troopers. It also seems like marines did most of the fighting, since the Army has only been seen (or even mentioned, really) on Reach.
I just have to chime in here.... (talking about real life). Marines have really really crappy equipment compared to the army.
The Sorge wrote:
It's probably fairly similar to the differences between a US Marine and a US Army soldier, since that's mostly what they were based off of. Marines are likely better trained, have stricter requirements and regulations, and have better/newer equipment than Army troopers. It also seems like marines did most of the fighting, since the Army has only been seen (or even mentioned, really) on Reach.
I just have to chime in here.... (talking about real life). Marines have really really crappy equipment compared to the army.
Looks like I learned something new today. Interesting
I never thought of this before.
The Sorge wrote:
It's probably fairly similar to the differences between a US Marine and a US Army soldier, since that's mostly what they were based off of. Marines are likely better trained, have stricter requirements and regulations, and have better/newer equipment than Army troopers. It also seems like marines did most of the fighting, since the Army has only been seen (or even mentioned, really) on Reach.
The Army did its fair share of fighting (ex; Algolis in Halo Legends where an Army Corps of Engineers battalion was involved), its just that the games and books tend to focus on naval/Spartan engagements...and what do UNSC ships carry for ground campaigns?
Marines.
They had their fights, we just never saw them in the narrow specturm of the universe we've seen.

Other than that I agree. Though the Army seems to use older stuff that they know and trust that works. Its most likely personal preference more than anything else.
It's a bit of a shame tho, as you say the lore mostly focuses on naval forces.
Does the UNSC/UNSCDF even have a air force branch or is it incorporated into the Marine Corps and Army?
I
SableVENOM wrote:
The Sorge wrote:
It's probably fairly similar to the differences between a US Marine and a US Army soldier, since that's mostly what they were based off of. Marines are likely better trained, have stricter requirements and regulations, and have better/newer equipment than Army troopers. It also seems like marines did most of the fighting, since the Army has only been seen (or even mentioned, really) on Reach.
The Army did its fair share of fighting (ex; Algolis in Halo Legends where an Army Corps of Engineers battalion was involved), its just that the games and books tend to focus on naval/Spartan engagements...and what do UNSC ships carry for ground campaigns?
Marines.
They had their fights, we just never saw them in the narrow specturm of the universe we've seen.

Other than that I agree. Though the Army seems to use older stuff that they know and trust that works. Its most likely personal preference more than anything else.
It's a bit of a shame tho, as you say the lore mostly focuses on naval forces.
Does the UNSC/UNSCDF even have a air force branch or is it incorporated into the Marine Corps and Army?
The airforce is a component of the UNSCDF alongside the army.

Also on the topic of equipment id assume there is a large disparity between training and equipment of a colony like Reach's Army and that of a smaller outer colony.
While the navy seems to have a standardised level of training and equipment.

Also I have to assume the Army is much larger than the Marine Corp.
Good point, wasn't that the case with Colonial Military Administration or whatever they were called?
Difference is probably none on quality, just like it is in reality between a US Soldier and Marine - diffeence is minor with diffeence squad sizes being the predominant diffeence today (Marines are transitioning to the M4, so equipment will soon be standardized)

In Reach it seemed that Soldiers were using older equipment, but in the post war environment it's mentioned that everyone transitioned to the M6H and MA5D.
SableVENOM wrote:
Good point, wasn't that the case with Colonial Military Administration or whatever they were called?
Indeed it was in fact.
1
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
I always envisioned it as being the Marines were offensive and the Army was defensive.
I
SableVENOM wrote:
The Sorge wrote:
It's probably fairly similar to the differences between a US Marine and a US Army soldier, since that's mostly what they were based off of. Marines are likely better trained, have stricter requirements and regulations, and have better/newer equipment than Army troopers. It also seems like marines did most of the fighting, since the Army has only been seen (or even mentioned, really) on Reach.
The Army did its fair share of fighting (ex; Algolis in Halo Legends where an Army Corps of Engineers battalion was involved), its just that the games and books tend to focus on naval/Spartan engagements...and what do UNSC ships carry for ground campaigns?
Marines.
They had their fights, we just never saw them in the narrow specturm of the universe we've seen.

Other than that I agree. Though the Army seems to use older stuff that they know and trust that works. Its most likely personal preference more than anything else.
It's a bit of a shame tho, as you say the lore mostly focuses on naval forces.
Does the UNSC/UNSCDF even have a air force branch or is it incorporated into the Marine Corps and Army?
The airforce is a component of the UNSCDF alongside the army.

Also on the topic of equipment id assume there is a large disparity between training and equipment of a colony like Reach's Army and that of a smaller outer colony.
While the navy seems to have a standardised level of training and equipment.

Also I have to assume the Army is much larger than the Marine Corp.
Correct. In fact the Every Air Craft flown in Halo: Reach was by the UNSC Air Force. From the Falcon to the Sabers.

Also the Army was displayed a lot since 343I took over.

Spartan Thorn's Parents were army officers

the Soldier who would talk to the ODSTs in Halo Legends "Babysitter" was in the Army, so the Army had regiments along side the Marines in large MEUs reinforcing colony worlds.

All Colonial Militia fell under Army command, the only one under Marine command was the one trained on Harvest by Johnson.

There are tons more examples, but it really feels like 343I has been really fleshing out the UNSC Army with its extentions into the Expanded Universe.
Difference is probably none on quality, just like it is in reality between a US Soldier and Marine - diffeence is minor with diffeence squad sizes being the predominant diffeence today (Marines are transitioning to the M4, so equipment will soon be standardized)

In Reach it seemed that Soldiers were using older equipment, but in the post war environment it's mentioned that everyone transitioned to the M6H and MA5D.
I'd say he hit the nail on the head. Based on a lot of the information available the major difference I think between the two makes them difficult to compare. Based on difference in training where as the two branches specialize in different forms of combat and tactics, the Army sees a lot of defensive action compared to the Marines who see both. The equipment seems to primarily favor the Marines with better access to a wider variety of weapons, ground, and air vehicles.

The new tabletop game which I have yet to get might shed some light on a lot of unanswered/unasked questions. Currently their focus is on the UNSC Army, with expansions coming later to include other branches such as the Marines. I think Halo: Ground Battles will provide an closer perspective of the strengths and weaknesses of the various forces.
You mean Halo: Ground Command right? Unless there's two new tabletop games coming out soon.
SableVENOM wrote:
You mean Halo: Ground Command right? Unless there's two new tabletop games coming out soon.
My bad yeah sorry! Silly things like names getting me messed up.
SableVENOM wrote:
The Sorge wrote:
It's probably fairly similar to the differences between a US Marine and a US Army soldier, since that's mostly what they were based off of. Marines are likely better trained, have stricter requirements and regulations, and have better/newer equipment than Army troopers. It also seems like marines did most of the fighting, since the Army has only been seen (or even mentioned, really) on Reach.
The Army did its fair share of fighting (ex; Algolis in Halo Legends where an Army Corps of Engineers battalion was involved), its just that the games and books tend to focus on naval/Spartan engagements...and what do UNSC ships carry for ground campaigns?
Marines.
They had their fights, we just never saw them in the narrow specturm of the universe we've seen.

Other than that I agree. Though the Army seems to use older stuff that they know and trust that works. Its most likely personal preference more than anything else.
It's a bit of a shame tho, as you say the lore mostly focuses on naval forces.
Does the UNSC/UNSCDF even have a air force branch or is it incorporated into the Marine Corps and Army?
Yeah, they have an Air Force branch. It's basically to the Navy what the Army is to the Marines. They're based on planets, and utilize Shortswords, Pelicans, Longswords, Albatrosses, etc. You can see an Air Force base far off in the distance getting hammered by the Covenant Corvette on the mission Sword Base. When you go to reactivate the AA Turret.
I
SableVENOM wrote:
The Sorge wrote:
It's probably fairly similar to the differences between a US Marine and a US Army soldier, since that's mostly what they were based off of. Marines are likely better trained, have stricter requirements and regulations, and have better/newer equipment than Army troopers. It also seems like marines did most of the fighting, since the Army has only been seen (or even mentioned, really) on Reach.
The Army did its fair share of fighting (ex; Algolis in Halo Legends where an Army Corps of Engineers battalion was involved), its just that the games and books tend to focus on naval/Spartan engagements...and what do UNSC ships carry for ground campaigns?
Marines.
They had their fights, we just never saw them in the narrow specturm of the universe we've seen.

Other than that I agree. Though the Army seems to use older stuff that they know and trust that works. Its most likely personal preference more than anything else.
It's a bit of a shame tho, as you say the lore mostly focuses on naval forces.
Does the UNSC/UNSCDF even have a air force branch or is it incorporated into the Marine Corps and Army?
The airforce is a component of the UNSCDF alongside the army.

Also on the topic of equipment id assume there is a large disparity between training and equipment of a colony like Reach's Army and that of a smaller outer colony.
While the navy seems to have a standardised level of training and equipment.

Also I have to assume the Army is much larger than the Marine Corp.
Correct. In fact the Every Air Craft flown in Halo: Reach was by the UNSC Air Force. From the Falcon to the Sabers.

Also the Army was displayed a lot since 343I took over.

Spartan Thorn's Parents were army officers

the Soldier who would talk to the ODSTs in Halo Legends "Babysitter" was in the Army, so the Army had regiments along side the Marines in large MEUs reinforcing colony worlds.

All Colonial Militia fell under Army command, the only one under Marine command was the one trained on Harvest by Johnson.

There are tons more examples, but it really feels like 343I has been really fleshing out the UNSC Army with its extentions into the Expanded Universe.
Actually, the Falcon is an Army aircraft, and flown by Army pilots.
Sugusuck wrote:
I
SableVENOM wrote:
The Sorge wrote:
It's probably fairly similar to the differences between a US Marine and a US Army soldier, since that's mostly what they were based off of. Marines are likely better trained, have stricter requirements and regulations, and have better/newer equipment than Army troopers. It also seems like marines did most of the fighting, since the Army has only been seen (or even mentioned, really) on Reach.
The Army did its fair share of fighting (ex; Algolis in Halo Legends where an Army Corps of Engineers battalion was involved), its just that the games and books tend to focus on naval/Spartan engagements...and what do UNSC ships carry for ground campaigns?
Marines.
They had their fights, we just never saw them in the narrow specturm of the universe we've seen.

Other than that I agree. Though the Army seems to use older stuff that they know and trust that works. Its most likely personal preference more than anything else.
It's a bit of a shame tho, as you say the lore mostly focuses on naval forces.
Does the UNSC/UNSCDF even have a air force branch or is it incorporated into the Marine Corps and Army?
The airforce is a component of the UNSCDF alongside the army.

Also on the topic of equipment id assume there is a large disparity between training and equipment of a colony like Reach's Army and that of a smaller outer colony.
While the navy seems to have a standardised level of training and equipment.

Also I have to assume the Army is much larger than the Marine Corp.
Correct. In fact the Every Air Craft flown in Halo: Reach was by the UNSC Air Force. From the Falcon to the Sabers.

Also the Army was displayed a lot since 343I took over.

Spartan Thorn's Parents were army officers

the Soldier who would talk to the ODSTs in Halo Legends "Babysitter" was in the Army, so the Army had regiments along side the Marines in large MEUs reinforcing colony worlds.

All Colonial Militia fell under Army command, the only one under Marine command was the one trained on Harvest by Johnson.

There are tons more examples, but it really feels like 343I has been really fleshing out the UNSC Army with its extentions into the Expanded Universe.
Actually, the Falcon is an Army aircraft, and flown by Army pilots.
Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2