Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Discover the Lore

OP illegalfreq1

Hey guys, let me tell you I can't wait to experience the whole story of Halo. As a kid I tried the first game on PC but I'm not really into it, I'm not even finished the game. I don't really know why, but back in that time I barely finish any game, I just went there shooting, my favourite game was Serious Sam The First Encounter and Red Faction playing only online LMAO. Later when I've got an Xbox 360 I remember Reach is "coming soon" but before that I just traded my X360 to a PS3 because of my friends and we were playing lots of Black Ops 1...sigh...

Anyway I think MCC on PC will be a very good reason to finally playing through all the campaigns, experience the lore of this colossal universe. What do you think about the story of Halo? When and how did you fall into it?

Mod edit: Moved to Universe
You should discuss this topic here https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/db05ce78845f4120b062c50816008e5d/topics
You should discuss this topic here https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/db05ce78845f4120b062c50816008e5d/topics
Thanks!
Got hooked relatively early on, about 2 years after CE came out. I can safely say there is no other game to this day that tells stories like Halo did before H5. Beyond storytelling, the gameplay has always been tight, the music “makes everything twice as good,” and every game has looked extremely good for its time and for years to come. So you’ve got some quality video gaming to look forward to once MCC lands on PC :-)
I fell into it in 2004 when my friend lent me his PC version of Halo CE, and then eventually I bought the game myself. I was immediately hooked, and then as a Christmas gift, he got me the Eric Nyland trilogy (ie. Fall of Reach, The Flood, and First Strike), and I instantly fell in love with the lore. Ever since then, I have gotten every Halo Lore medium, and am way more into the lore of the series than the friend who got me into it, and have enjoyed every bit of it since. I like how it evolved from being just a simple video game to this vast expanded universe.
I actually didn't like Halo at first. I went from "oh, that game" to it being my favorite fictional universe of all time... and it's completely the Sangheili's fault.

My dad played a lot of FPSs, and they really weren't my cup of tea, as the ones I was even allowed to play at a young age (my parents very closely monitored what I played up until I was 13-14) often resulted in me just killing myself with grenades or proximity mines.

When my dad got an Xbox, of course he was playing Halo, and ten-year-old me rolled my eyes every time I heard that darn theme play, and I retreated to my sanctuary of Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda on the N64 (Still enjoy these classics, btw, worry not.). He seemed to be having fun with it, though, so every once in a while, I poked my head out to see what he was up to. I recall sitting on the couch as he was making his way through Two Betrayals. Our conversation was more or less the following:

Me: Are you almost done with the game?
Dad: I think so.
Me: *sees a Banshee* What's that?
Dad: Basically a plane, and I need to really get away from it before I die.
Me: Oh, oka- *sees an Elite Zealot with a sword charging forward* Whoa! What's THAT!?
Dad: A very mean alien that WILL kill me if he gets close! Gotta go!
Me: ...He looks kinda cool.

A couple years later, I'm visiting a friend whose younger brother has one of the Halo novels, namely The Flood. A little curious after more incidents of watching Dad play, I peer through the book, and start reading, not knowing that it's more or less a novelization of the first game, but it clicks with me after a chapter or so. I finally learn the cool aliens I liked were called Elites, and manage to get to Zuka 'Zamamee's first scenes on the Truth and Reconciliation before it's time to go, and I dejectedly put the book back on the shelf, wanting to know more of the story. Sadly, these friends moved later, so getting a hold of the book would have to wait.

The next year, Halo 2 comes out, and my dad asks me, "Hey, this one has online multiplayer so we can play with other people! Wanna join as a guest?" I decide sure, it couldn't hurt. We go to make our characters, and my dad goes for a Steel-armored Spartan. Classic. I go to set myself up, and I notice the Elites are now playable models. Probably obvious what my choice was. We go into some matches, with me getting absolutely destroyed after I learned how to not walk into walls, but it was kinda fun.

A little while later, my dad's almost done with the campaign. I come out just as he's beginning Uprising, and we watch the intro cutscene. This was my first time seeing the Arbiter, and the questions wouldn't stop flying:
Me: Who is that? Why are you playing as him? Isn't he one of the bad guys? Why's he out there all alo-
Dad, with a hard stare: You know, why don't YOU play through the story and find out?
Me: ...Okay, I will.

From there, it was a hard and fast drop down the rabbit-hole. I now own all the novels (and some other merch), have read a handful of the comics (they're a bit trickier to find in comparison, especially the older ones), played through all the campaigns and am on multiplayer regularly, have autographs from a few of the voice actors, and still devour every scrap of lore I can get my hands on. Many of my closest friends around the world are people I would have never met had I not started playing Halo, including the person half across the world who would later become my fiance, and is now sleeping in the other room as I type this from our apartment, 12 years after we first met in an online lobby. While he also enjoys Halo, I think he smiles and nods as I happily fangirl over whatever crazy thing happens in the newest book.

And when I hear that theme song now... I'm usually humming along to the song that changed my life.
I've been a casual fan of the series since I was a kid. I kinda dropped it for years as school got in the way. Then I was visiting a friend while I was in college and saw the Nylund Trilogy sitting on his book shelf and thought "huh, I didn't know there were books about Halo". I still didn't really get into it again until I got laid off from my last job. I felt like treating myself so I went to buy a brand new Xbox One.. while there I saw a console with the MCC pre-loaded and immediately bought it. I started playing through all the games and soon bought the Nylund Trilogy after that. From there I developed a complete obsession with the Halo universe!
I actually didn't like Halo at first. I went from "oh, that game" to it being my favorite fictional universe of all time... and it's completely the Sangheili's fault.

My dad played a lot of FPSs, and they really weren't my cup of tea, as the ones I was even allowed to play at a young age (my parents very closely monitored what I played up until I was 13-14) often resulted in me just killing myself with grenades or proximity mines.

When my dad got an Xbox, of course he was playing Halo, and ten-year-old me rolled my eyes every time I heard that darn theme play, and I retreated to my sanctuary of Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda on the N64 (Still enjoy these classics, btw, worry not.). He seemed to be having fun with it, though, so every once in a while, I poked my head out to see what he was up to. I recall sitting on the couch as he was making his way through Two Betrayals. Our conversation was more or less the following:

Me: Are you almost done with the game?
Dad: I think so.
Me: *sees a Banshee* What's that?
Dad: Basically a plane, and I need to really get away from it before I die.
Me: Oh, oka- *sees an Elite Zealot with a sword charging forward* Whoa! What's THAT!?
Dad: A very mean alien that WILL kill me if he gets close! Gotta go!
Me: ...He looks kinda cool.

A couple years later, I'm visiting a friend whose younger brother has one of the Halo novels, namely The Flood. A little curious after more incidents of watching Dad play, I peer through the book, and start reading, not knowing that it's more or less a novelization of the first game, but it clicks with me after a chapter or so. I finally learn the cool aliens I liked were called Elites, and manage to get to Zuka 'Zamamee's first scenes on the Truth and Reconciliation before it's time to go, and I dejectedly put the book back on the shelf, wanting to know more of the story. Sadly, these friends moved later, so getting a hold of the book would have to wait.

The next year, Halo 2 comes out, and my dad asks me, "Hey, this one has online multiplayer so we can play with other people! Wanna join as a guest?" I decide sure, it couldn't hurt. We go to make our characters, and my dad goes for a Steel-armored Spartan. Classic. I go to set myself up, and I notice the Elites are now playable models. Probably obvious what my choice was. We go into some matches, with me getting absolutely destroyed after I learned how to not walk into walls, but it was kinda fun.

A little while later, my dad's almost done with the campaign. I come out just as he's beginning Uprising, and we watch the intro cutscene. This was my first time seeing the Arbiter, and the questions wouldn't stop flying:
Me: Who is that? Why are you playing as him? Isn't he one of the bad guys? Why's he out there all alo-
Dad, with a hard stare: You know, why don't YOU play through the story and find out?
Me: ...Okay, I will.

From there, it was a hard and fast drop down the rabbit-hole. I now own all the novels (and some other merch), have read a handful of the comics (they're a bit trickier to find in comparison, especially the older ones), played through all the campaigns and am on multiplayer regularly, have autographs from a few of the voice actors, and still devour every scrap of lore I can get my hands on. Many of my closest friends around the world are people I would have never met had I not started playing Halo, including the person half across the world who would later become my fiance, and is now sleeping in the other room as I type this from our apartment, 12 years after we first met in an online lobby. While he also enjoys Halo, I think he smiles and nods as I happily fangirl over whatever crazy thing happens in the newest book.

And when I hear that theme song now... I'm usually humming along to the song that changed my life.
Thanks for the reply, it was really fun to read :)
Also thanks everyone for the respones!