Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Do odst still exist?

OP DaRX ReN3GADE

Or did they all become spartan 4's?
Yes, they are still around.

3rd Helljumper Platoon was deployed during the Battle of Draetheus V in 2554 and there's a battalion of ODST's aboard the Infinity as of 2558.
I wrote this a little while ago on HBO concerning the same subject:

Quote:
Spartans are generally deployed in smaller teams like you saw with Halo: Reach and Spartan Ops. Very, very rarely will you see them in large numbers that would see them organized them into platoons, companies, and even a small battalion. Such occasions include Operations PROMETHEUS, TORPEDO, and RED FLAG, as well as the contingent aboard UNSC Infinity. Keep in mind that these missions constitute very high-profile taskings like destroying Covenant infrastructure and command. Like most special operations units today, these soldiers may be organized and have the numbers to comprise a brigade-sized unit, but very rarely are they ever deployed as a whole.

Meanwhile, the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers can be considered more conventionally focused. They're the elite shock troops of a Marine Corps of many, many millions. It was noted that as late as September 2552, there were at least three divisions (10,000-20,000) of these Marines. During the Fall of Reach they had a whole regiment in a single territory. Unlike the Spartans, as we saw in things like Halo 3: ODST, they are routinely deployed at platoon, company, and battalion-strength for massed orbital drops akin to the U.S. 75th Ranger Regiment. However, like in that very game, they can also be detached into smaller fireteams in the special reconnaissance role.

Greater numbers and capability creates a more versatile force with the ODST's when you consider that they likely have organic combat support assets such as field artillery, heavy mortars, motorized/mechanized reconnaissance (cavalry), combat engineers, air defense, and logistics like the airborne forces of today. Spartans, among other special reconnaissance units, usually have that support provided by whatever forces are in their area of operations. The larger ODST's have greater autonomy in that regard.

There will always be a need for Helljumpers and Spartans just as we have the differences between Delta Force, the Green Berets, and Rangers.
The Orbital Drop Shock Troopers (ODST) and various non-augmented special forces units remain active as of 2558. User Grizzlei's analysis of the their role and operational niche is accurate.
Interesting that the topic of various UNSC special operations units is coming up. I've been reading some descriptions of the armor in the Halo 5 beta, and for two of them they mention Army SF and "unaugmented Delta-Six operators" which I'm guessing are either Army or Navy tier-1 SOF, using the armor as well.

So if those units exist despite the growing Spartan program then I think it's safe to say ODSTs, and even other types of Marine SOF, exist just like before. As Grizzlei said, they serve a similar role as today's 75th Ranger Regiment - a highly trained, rapidly deployable light infantry unit specialized in direct action.
I always sort of saw it like this
spartans-navy seals
odst-marines
marines-army
army-army

i know it's not completely accurate but that's just how I saw it
spartans-navy seals
odst-marines
marines-army
army-army

The Army is a planetary based military and generally a ground based force. The marines are more of a reactionary force deployed from a starship or other navy asset to join the fighting, though they may get there after the army does.
BaconShelf wrote:
spartans-navy seals
odst-marines
marines-army
army-army

The Army is a planetary based military and generally a ground based force. The marines are more of a reactionary force deployed from a starship or other navy asset to join the fighting, though they may get there after the army does.
There's some indication that the UNSC Army is eschewing the land-based planetary defense role in favor of expeditionary operations similar to the Marine Corps. Earth and her colonies aren't under the same level of threat as they were during the Great War, and thus, Army forces can be relieved from their sole, static role to be a component of the UNSC's power projection capability. The UNSC doesn't need hundreds of thousands or millions of colonial troops without anything to do wasting their already likely reduced budget following the end of the Great War.

The Army and the Air Force, a land-based colonial air component, were seen deployed aboard UNSC Infinity during the 2558 Requiem campaign. It indicates that these two former colonial defense services are now expeditionary forces just like the Navy and Marine Corps team. It could be suggested, however, that they were there to occupy and establish garrisons across Requiem just as they would with any of Earth's colonies.
Grizzlei wrote:
BaconShelf wrote:
spartans-navy seals
odst-marines
marines-army
army-army

There's some indication that the UNSC Army is eschewing the land-based planetary defense role in favor of expeditionary operations similar to the Marine Corps. Earth and her colonies aren't under the same level of threat as they were during the Great War, and thus, Army forces can be relieved from their sole, static role to be a component of the UNSC's power projection capability. The UNSC doesn't need hundreds of thousands or millions of colonial troops without anything to do wasting their already likely reduced budget following the end of the Great War.

The Army and the Air Force, a land-based colonial air component, were seen deployed aboard UNSC Infinity during the 2558 Requiem campaign. It indicates that these two former colonial defense services are now expeditionary forces just like the Navy and Marine Corps team.
I very much doubt that the UNSC Army and Air Force now serves the same purpose as the UNSC Marine Corp and Navy. I would say that the UNSC Inifnity is the exception as every UNSC branch has some form of presence on that ship, there's even civilians and Huragoks aboard.

The peace between the UNSC and the other species is fragile at best. The reasonable thing to do would be to position the bulk of the UNSC Army and UNSC Air Force on UEG colonies closest to a possible frontline. Just because the garrison isn't attacked doesn't mean it's not doing its job. In fact, that's its primary job, to act as a deterrent. There needs to be a balance and the UNSC currently has that balance. The UNSC Marine Corp and Navy are offensive tools whilst the UNSC Army and Air Force are defensive tools. Expanding faster than what your forces are able to protect is never a good idea. Leaving current territories undefended or undermanned is borderline moronic. If the defenses are insufficent, enemy forces will be able to launch attacks wherever they please and disappear before reinforcements arrive. Rapid expansion isn't advisable unless you have a superior force, which the UNSC arguably does not have at the moment.
Baartvedt wrote:
I very much doubt that the UNSC Army and Air Force now serves the same purpose as the UNSC Marine Corp and Navy. I would say that the UNSC Inifnity is the exception as every UNSC branch has some form of presence on that ship, there's even civilians and Huragoks aboard.

The peace between the UNSC and the other species is fragile at best. The reasonable thing to do would be to position the bulk of the UNSC Army and UNSC Air Force on UEG colonies closest to a possible frontline. Just because the garrison isn't attacked doesn't mean it's not doing its job. In fact, that's its primary job, to act as a deterrent. There needs to be a balance and the UNSC currently has that balance. The UNSC Marine Corp and Navy are offensive tools whilst the UNSC Army and Air Force are defensive tools.
I'm not saying that the Army and Air Force now only supplement Navy and Marine Corps forces on expeditionary operations, merely that with the threat of massive Covenant deployments on a scale seen during the Great War diminished, they can contribute forward-deployed forces in addition to their land-based colonial defense role.

What you're thinking of is a lot how the U.S. Armed Forces were organized throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, which the Colonial-era and Great War-era UNSC seems was likely partly based off of. The U.S. Army and volunteer militias were raised when needed to conduct mass operations to suppress indigenous populations and conduct defensive campaigns of the nation's territory from foreign aggressors. Meanwhile, the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps actively deployed around the world to locales like Tripoli, Hawai'i, and Shanghai. It wasn't really until the Spanish-American War, the Philippine-American War, and the rise of global American imperialism in the 19th century that the U.S. Army was deployed overseas in substantial numbers to outweigh the Fleet's complement of Marines. Since then, of course, a lot of the defining characteristics of the Army and Marine Corps have blurred.

If the UNSC Marine Corps of the 26th century is anything like the U.S. Marine Corps of today, its expeditionary nature would inhibit and discourage the need for more substantial, heavier forces. You can only pack so much kit aboard the warships we see UNSC Marines deploy down to the surface of a planet from. Brief mentions of Army units in canon suggests that their ranks have a polarity in mechanized and armored forces compared to the Marine Corps, traditionally focused around the light infantry role. With the UNSC's impunity and necessity to mount offensive ground operations in the post-war years, forces may be required that only the Army with its heavier role could provide and sustain. Marine Air-Ground Task Forces have all the necessary assets to conduct full-spectrum combat operations, but only for so long independent from supporting assets. What the Army would provide is large, continuously sustainable forces and relieve Marine units to conduct their traditional expeditionary role aboard the Fleet to project power.
They do still exists for missons behind enemy lines
They are most definitely around and are probably as big as ever.
yes, as of 2558
Hope they are back in Halo 5.