Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Do the Outer Colonies deserve independence?

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

One of the biggest story points in Halo is the Insurrection from the Outer Colonies. This conflict has been going on for decades, with seemingly no end in sight. Here’s a question I’m wondering, do the Outer Colonies deserve independence? The Outer Colonies really began to be occupied in the mid to late 25th century. While the Inner Colonies are more of the shining advancements of Humanity, the Outer Colonies are more backwater, very reliable on the Inner Colonies. The Inner Colonies have all the big companies, most intelligent scientists, ect. Something that is very noticeable is voting. The UEG claims to be a representative democracy, however, this isn’t really the case. The Inner Colonies have way more influence in voting and having politicians put in office. The Outer Colonies almost have no voice. Another issue is taxes, the Outer Colonies have to pay a heavier tax, while the Inner Colonies have it more lenient. Something the Outer Colonies are known for are their resources. Earth and the Inner Colonies are rich, but don’t have all the resources they need to support themselves. A good example of this is with Harvest, which was known for being the supplier of food for the colonies. The UEG needs these resources, and that’s why the need the Outer Colonies in the fold, and they wish to keep them under UEG control.
Hatred for the UEG in the Outer Colonies was very clear, as not much later, the Insurrection began. The Insurrection had the UEG and UNSC’s full attention ready to crush the rebellion. However, during the Covenant War, the UNSC wasn’t as invested as keeping these people and worlds safe. Yes, there were people like Cole who were heroes and wanted to keep as many people (Inner and Outer Colonies both) safe. However, HIGHCOM was most invested in keeping the Inner Colonies safe, as they are their wealthiest worlds.

So, should the Outer Colonies be allowed independence from the Outer Colonies? The Insurrection has been a bloody war, but what war hasn’t? Yes, there are Insurrectionists who just have a hatred for the UEG and want to crush them, not caring about lives in the way. The best way for the Outer Colonies to gain independence is through politics. They should speak with the President of the UEG and their advisors and say “Look, we want independence and become our own people.” And inform them that they can remain allies while being 2 separate bodies entirely. They could also come up with a good trade deal. I’m sure if the Outer Colonies became independent, they’d be able to become more self-sustaining and able to have genius scientists of their own. Yes, battle is part of any revolution for independence, but they should try to keep it political talks. If I remember correctly (haven’t read the Insurrection stories in a while), the Insurrection hasn’t really been fought through sitting down and speaking as politicians, but soldiers and their leaders sending a statement to the UEG.

What do you think, do the Outer Colonies deserve independence from the UEG?
I'm all for the Outer Colonies having independence.

I can honestly sympathize with the Outer Colonies and understand the Insurrection. Not that I support everything they do because they've done some questionable things.

But generally, I think the Outer Colonies should have a shot at independence.
Sealki wrote:
I'm all for the Outer Colonies having independence.

I can honestly sympathize with the Outer Colonies and understand the Insurrection. Not that I support everything they do because they've done some questionable things.

But generally, I think the Outer Colonies should have a shot at independence.
I believe this as well. If the indirection had not happened I believe we would have seen some honest political representation for all the colonies in a galactic government opposed to a earth centric one. I'm from the great country of the US and while I fully support anyone wanting freedom I reject the use of terrorism as it can only lead to larger problems in our modern society.
smasher555 wrote:
Sealki wrote:
I'm all for the Outer Colonies having independence.

I can honestly sympathize with the Outer Colonies and understand the Insurrection. Not that I support everything they do because they've done some questionable things.

But generally, I think the Outer Colonies should have a shot at independence.
I believe this as well. If the indirection had not happened I believe we would have seen some honest political representation for all the colonies in a galactic government opposed to a earth centric one. I'm from the great country of the US and while I fully support anyone wanting freedom I reject the use of terrorism as it can only lead to larger problems in our modern society.
Right, I don't condone the Outer Colonies resorting to terrorism, but they should have a chance at Independence much like the US colonies when facing off against the UK (but hopefully it'd go much more peacefully).
Sealki wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
Sealki wrote:
I'm all for the Outer Colonies having independence.

I can honestly sympathize with the Outer Colonies and understand the Insurrection. Not that I support everything they do because they've done some questionable things.

But generally, I think the Outer Colonies should have a shot at independence.
I believe this as well. If the indirection had not happened I believe we would have seen some honest political representation for all the colonies in a galactic government opposed to a earth centric one. I'm from the great country of the US and while I fully support anyone wanting freedom I reject the use of terrorism as it can only lead to larger problems in our modern society.
Right, I don't condone the Outer Colonies resorting to terrorism, but they should have a chance at Independence much like the US colonies when facing off against the UK (but hopefully it'd go much more peacefully).
I feel like there was a legitimate movement for the independence of the outer colonies or at least fair representation for all colonies that was gaining traction when some radicals decided "hey let's kill some earthers!" and claimed to support the independence of the colonies, which led to the insurection, the ORION project, the ORION 2(Spartan 2) project, and ultimately to the survival of humanity. *cough* oni had something to do with it *cough*.
smasher555 wrote:
Sealki wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
Sealki wrote:
I'm all for the Outer Colonies having independence.

I can honestly sympathize with the Outer Colonies and understand the Insurrection. Not that I support everything they do because they've done some questionable things.

But generally, I think the Outer Colonies should have a shot at independence.
I believe this as well. If the indirection had not happened I believe we would have seen some honest political representation for all the colonies in a galactic government opposed to a earth centric one. I'm from the great country of the US and while I fully support anyone wanting freedom I reject the use of terrorism as it can only lead to larger problems in our modern society.
Right, I don't condone the Outer Colonies resorting to terrorism, but they should have a chance at Independence much like the US colonies when facing off against the UK (but hopefully it'd go much more peacefully).
I feel like there was a legitimate movement for the independence of the outer colonies or at least fair representation for all colonies that was gaining traction when some radicals decided "hey let's kill some earthers!" and claimed to support the independence of the colonies, which led to the insurection, the ORION project, the ORION 2(Spartan 2) project, and ultimately to the survival of humanity. *cough* oni had something to do with it *cough*.
Yeah, I guess in hindsight, we have to be thankful for the Insurrection since that was the reason they made the Spartans in the first place. Good timing.
Sealki wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
Sealki wrote:
smasher555 wrote:
Sealki wrote:
I'm all for the Outer Colonies having independence.

I can honestly sympathize with the Outer Colonies and understand the Insurrection. Not that I support everything they do because they've done some questionable things.

But generally, I think the Outer Colonies should have a shot at independence.
I believe this as well. If the indirection had not happened I believe we would have seen some honest political representation for all the colonies in a galactic government opposed to a earth centric one. I'm from the great country of the US and while I fully support anyone wanting freedom I reject the use of terrorism as it can only lead to larger problems in our modern society.
Right, I don't condone the Outer Colonies resorting to terrorism, but they should have a chance at Independence much like the US colonies when facing off against the UK (but hopefully it'd go much more peacefully).
I feel like there was a legitimate movement for the independence of the outer colonies or at least fair representation for all colonies that was gaining traction when some radicals decided "hey let's kill some earthers!" and claimed to support the independence of the colonies, which led to the insurection, the ORION project, the ORION 2(Spartan 2) project, and ultimately to the survival of humanity. *cough* oni had something to do with it *cough*.
Yeah, I guess in hindsight, we have to be thankful for the Insurrection since that was the reason they made the Spartans in the first place. Good timing.
And also the reason why the UNSC had a substantial weaponized space fleet.
Kind of makes me think of Firefly the Alliance vs the Independents. But I do think the Outer Colonies should be allowed to operate on their own.
To be honest i think they should but i dont think that it can be done mainly because i dont think oni would let them and would get in the way of stopping anything ftom happening. That and i doubt it would happen anytime soon with cortana and her guardians roaming around
Xray337 wrote:
To be honest i think they should but i dont think that it can be done mainly because i dont think oni would let them and would get in the way of stopping anything ftom happening. That and i doubt it would happen anytime soon with cortana and her guardians roaming around
ONI is very scummy. I understand wanting to keep Humanity united (mainly so they can control everyone), but the Inner and Outer Colonies can be separate bodies, yet allies.
Of course that would be the right thing to do. But it's not that simple. What if a threat like Covenant rises and we aren't united enough to stop it? I think that is the only argument against independent outer colonies I can think of.
No, because as history proved many times. If out colonies(or whatever is left of it) gain their respected independence, it would require a massive shift in UEG/UNSC military and political structure. The UEG and colonial relation is not exactly the same as US-Britsh back in 1776, colonial-born citizens serve in the UNSCDF and UEG personnel respectively. Then what? You expel them out of the UNSC and send them to back their colonies? What will UNSC forces and outposts in those Colonies to? Immediately pack up and leave?
And what will happen to the colonies? Especially those Outer Colonies, which have little industrial value, they cannot build a fleet, nor have enough personnel to maintain a military force that could protect them from what ever remains of the Covenant, Created, or the UNSC. What WILL happen is the Outer Colonies is going to form their own alliance between each other, pool up their own military due to the vast amount of resources they own(Out Colonies are known for their raw materials). Then it will enter decades of Vacuum War(joke to the Cold War) between the Evil imperialistic UNSC and the free colonies.
Then before you know it, not some petty Insurrection, where separated terrorist groups bomb UNSC building, it will be an actual war between humanity.
UNSC have too much to lose in those Outer Colonies, the economic and political value of those little rocks outweighs the political idealism of those even tinier figures living on it.
No, because as history proved many times. If out colonies(or whatever is left of it) gain their respected independence, it would require a massive shift in UEG/UNSC military and political structure. The UEG and colonial relation is not exactly the same as US-Britsh back in 1776, colonial-born citizens serve in the UNSCDF and UEG personnel respectively. Then what? You expel them out of the UNSC and send them to back their colonies? What will UNSC forces and outposts in those Colonies to? Immediately pack up and leave?
And what will happen to the colonies? Especially those Outer Colonies, which have little industrial value, they cannot build a fleet, nor have enough personnel to maintain a military force that could protect them from what ever remains of the Covenant, Created, or the UNSC. What WILL happen is the Outer Colonies is going to form their own alliance between each other, pool up their own military due to the vast amount of resources they own(Out Colonies are known for their raw materials). Then it will enter decades of Vacuum War(joke to the Cold War) between the Evil imperialistic UNSC and the free colonies.
Then before you know it, not some petty Insurrection, where separated terrorist groups bomb UNSC building, it will be an actual war between humanity.
UNSC have too much to lose in those Outer Colonies, the economic and political value of those little rocks outweighs the political idealism of those even tinier figures living on it.
One would think that colonial military personnel would leave the UNSC/UEG and UNSC personnel would leave the colonies after a period of time likely to be negotiated between the colony and the UEG. The colonies and UNSC can agree to a gradual withdrawal of their respective personnel to allow the colony to slowly build up its military either on its own or in concert with neighboring colonies, whilst at the same time the UNSC/UEG gradually replace the personnel that it would lose when the transition is complete.

Another option is for maximum devolution where the colonies would be almost entirely self-governing and for all intents and purposes independent except for military matters. This state of affairs would closely resemble a confederation where the colonies are still within the UNSC voluntarily, pay a certain percentage of the GDP towards the maintenance of the UNSC and collectively govern it through a body similar to the UEG. Or they could go down the NATO route and create mutual defense pacts with Earth following the transition.

One thing is for sure though, fears of there being a cold war between Earth and the colonies are greatly exaggerated. The outer and inner colonies are deeply dependent on each other for trade and logistics; the outer colonies require many manufactured goods and other services from the inner colonies, whilst the inner colonies need the outer colonies' cheap resource exports. A war can't really occur here, because it would cripple both sides and hammer their respective GDPs through the losses in trade the moment it began.
If the Outer Colonies weren't so violent, like nuking a city or could support themselves. I wouldn't mind, Jorge even was a bit supportive of the Outer Colonies. I just feel some of the Insurrectionist methods are cruel and inhumane to harm the very people you claim to be fighting for freedom.
They could deserve it but it could lead to more human on human conflicts given the less interaction with each other and that could be lethal to humanity given the other conflicts. What i think should happen is that outer colonies could get the same rights, in both good and bad. When it could be considered as priority since priority now seems to be the survival of humanity, achieving a relative peace with other beings and keeping the humanity itself free. The humanity should unite rather than divide to inner and outer colonies.
Autonomy and the ability to self govern? Yes.
Complete independence? No.

Humanity must stand united, as one voice, one whole against whatever horrors await us amidst the void. The galaxy is big, big enough that the Covenant is almost certainly not all that's out there.

We the audience know about the Forerunners, the Flood, the Precursors and so in but the general populace doesn't and should be reminded that there's still alot of space out there for Lord knows what to hide in and we as a species might not get so lucky next time. Better to stand united than stand apart.
Hell no. They were settled by people using UEG ships to arrive, built their structures with UEG equipment, rely on UEG-produced medicines and equipment. When they give back everything they got from the UEG , THEN they can complain "muh independence".
I don't have an opinion on the topic one way or another, but I did just want to mention I find it interesting that Halo treats these so-called rebels as antagonists. It's a nice little twist from the cliche of having them be the protagonists.