Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Does anyone really understand the Halo universe?

OP DecafLemon37

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
So i was ready the book Halo Mythos and man is that book complicated and i am only on page 38! Between those 38 pages their has spanned like a million years!!! From the precursors until they made the forerunner who later wanted to attack their creators who where supposedly "god like" and somehow they were defeated. Then the the Mater Builder builds the Halo rings that i guess has the power to pretty much destroy all life in the universe....(quick question can it destory all life in the universe or in a galaxy because their is a big difference) additionally the Diadict who i think on were i am is like 300,000 years old copses (turns people into raw data) like a hundred thousand people...like man that is a big number/ a lot of people. ECT ECT.. insane amount of information.. My conclusion questions are the following: Are the forerunners like just incredibly powerful beings? like a million times more powerful than a human...because that is what it looks like in the book... Additionally i just want to know if anyone really understands the Halo universe? To me it seems like i would have to read the book like 5 times to finally understand everything
It just seems to me like what cant the Forerunners create....they almost seem to powerful..
I mean... kinda? It's not too hard to understand the Halo universe, unless you want to get into abstract meanings and interpretations.
Oh I understand the pre-343i universe just fine because it had set rules.
It's not that hard to grasp. You're also reading a big book that has a lot of details that are either left out or the writers assume you know. I recommend starting with the Eric Nylund trilogy. Great way to get a grip on the vast story.
It's not complicated if you read the individual works when they came out. Mythos is a great resource but misses many details.
KCD0DGER wrote:
I feel similarly.
I understood Bungie's Halo pretty well because some things were purposefully shrouded in mystery (origins of the Flood, identity of the Forerunners), and I was able to accept that. Hell, I preferred it.
Chimera30 wrote:
KCD0DGER wrote:
I feel similarly.
I understood Bungie's Halo pretty well because some things were purposefully shrouded in mystery (origins of the Flood, identity of the Forerunners), and I was able to accept that. Hell, I preferred it.
Same here. I miss the Flood's origins being a mystery. The precursor corrupted space dust that infected dog like pets which eventually turned into the flood really makes it hard for me to take the flood serious anymore. That's such a lame origin. Would have better if the flood was the precursors big middle finger to the forerunners or something. Anything but evil space dust....
JV11077 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
KCD0DGER wrote:
I feel similarly.
Same here. I miss the Flood's origins being a mystery. The precursor corrupted space dust that infected dog like pets which eventually turned into the flood really makes it hard for me to take the flood serious anymore. That's such a lame origin. Would have better if the flood was the precursors big middle finger to the forerunners or something. Anything but evil space dust....
Seems like you just stopped at Halo: Crytpum and didn't read the rest of the Forerunner Trilogy then.
I could see for a newcomer in the Halo universe and learning about the lore could be staggering, especially now with so many books and games out there. I do feel though, that there is plenty of time to catch up to everyone else before Halo Wars 2 comes out. Overall regarding the Forerunners, there really wasn't all that much they couldn't do, at least compared to humans then or today. Kind of cool, to at least think about and all the theories with sci-fi, a big reason I love this series.

Starting from the beginning like others said isn't a bad idea, or getting that big encyclopedia, after you learn a bit more. I prefer the current way post-Bungie that 343 is going with details laid out, I want to know everything. In a fictional and massive universe like Halo or Star Wars there is also bound to be discrepancies no matter what. Goodluck and have fun! I'm still waiting for Tales from Slipspace to arrive in the mail!
JV11077 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
KCD0DGER wrote:
I feel similarly.
I preferred the Flood as simply a mysterious organism simply following its instinct to grow and survive, which just happened to be at the expense of all other life. The addition of "evil" into their origins takes away their charm as an enemy, because fighting the Flood wasn't so cut and dry as good vs evil, but rather a scenario of survival of the fittest. But now the shades of grey are gone, and the Flood has been retconned into typical evil villain territory.
Chimera30 wrote:
JV11077 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
KCD0DGER wrote:
I feel similarly.
I preferred the Flood as simply a mysterious organism simply following its instinct to grow and survive, which just happened to be at the expense of all other life. The addition of "evil" into their origins takes away their charm as an enemy, because fighting the Flood wasn't so cut and dry as good vs evil, but rather a scenario of survival of the fittest. But now the shades of grey are gone, and the Flood has been retconned into typical evil villain territory.
Yeah, I think any moral ambiguity with the Flood goes out the window pretty much after the Gravemind speaks and it's not longer just a parasite doing what parasites do. Had the Flood been a purely parasitic organism just acting on instinct, it'd be akin to the Bugs vs humanity in the Starship Troopers novel, neither really hates the other but both want the same real estate. But, again, when the Gravemind enters the picture that is gone. Yet that's hardly anything new on 343's part.
JV11077 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
KCD0DGER wrote:
I feel similarly.
Seems like you just stopped at Halo: Crytpum and didn't read the rest of the Forerunner Trilogy then.
Honestly, I haven't read the forerunner trilogy. I'm not interested in them. I read up about the flood origins on Halopedia. I'm sure the book probably explains the flood in better detail but IMO it's still a really lame origin.
JV11077 wrote:
JV11077 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
KCD0DGER wrote:
I feel similarly.
Honestly, I haven't read the forerunner trilogy. I'm not interested in them. I read up about the flood origins on Halopedia. I'm sure the book probably explains the flood in better detail but IMO it's still a really lame origin.
I don't think you can cast off something as lame without the proper context, however.
It's not complicated if you read the individual works when they came out. Mythos is a great resource but misses many details.
This
JV11077 wrote:
JV11077 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
KCD0DGER wrote:
I feel similarly.
I don't think you can cast off something as lame without the proper context, however.
It depends. In some cases context helps, in others it can't. If Halopedia gave a decent summary of the story of then I definitely would cast it off as lame and I doubt further details would make it any less so.
JV11077 wrote:
JV11077 wrote:
JV11077 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
KCD0DGER wrote:
I feel similarly.
It depends. In some cases context helps, in others it can't. If Halopedia gave a decent summary of the story of then I definitely would cast it off as lame and I doubt further details would make it any less so.
Forerunner saga spoilers -
Spoiler:
Show
Remember that time Lucas tried explaining the Force via Midichlorians?

Explaining the Flood's origin in depth is much the same.
JV11077 wrote:
JV11077 wrote:
JV11077 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
KCD0DGER wrote:
I feel similarly.
Spoiler:
Show
What I had in mind by middle finger was along the lines of the precursors deliberately creating the flood as a last ditch effort to get back at the forerunners before dying out. In the story, it was essentially an accident that they became tainted and they just decided to roll with it and used it to get back at the Forerunners. I think something more sinister would have been been a bitter fit. You are right though, there is a bit more to the flood's beginnings. But not much.
JV11077 wrote:
JV11077 wrote:
JV11077 wrote:
JV11077 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
KCD0DGER wrote:
I feel similarly.
Spoiler:
Show
What I had in mind by middle finger was along the lines of the precursors deliberately creating the flood as a last ditch effort to get back at the forerunners before dying out. In the story, it was essentially an accident that they became tainted and they just decided to roll with it and used it to get back at the Forerunners. I think something more sinister would have been been a bitter fit. You are right though, there is a bit more to the flood's beginnings. But not much.
Perhaps. To me, all that would do is make the Precursors boring evil villains using a boring evil super weapon. That would suck out all my interest in the Flood. Like when a certain AI becomes a boring evil villain and uses Guardians and Prometheans as boring super weapons... it makes them all totally uninteresting.

By making it an accident brought on my pure desperation on the part of the Precursors (who may or may not have intended to wipe out the Forerunners once they failed the test of the Mantle), the Flood becomes another layer of guilt set on the Forerunners' shoulders. Another fault acting as reason why they should have felt that it was necessary for their people to recede from the galaxy and not take part in the new time after the Array's firing. It adds to the depths of the Forerunners and their relationship with the Flood itself, as opposed to just Forerunners vs Precursor weapon or even Forerunner vs mysterious parasite.

The Flood is plenty sinister, I think, and I don't see their beginnings as detracting from that. On the contrary, the Precursor's lack of malice in their pure desire only to create, and the stark contrast created by this version of the Flood and its desire to undo that creation, adds to the nature of the Flood with a sense of tragedy. It all adds up to more than a bit when it comes to the story behind the Flood, in my opinion.
KCD0DGER wrote:
Remember that time Lucas tried explaining the Force via Midichlorians?

Explaining the Flood's origin in depth is much the same.
In a sense, if the only aspect of the Force/Flood you're after is the mystery. I'd argue the difference is that the story of the origin of the Flood doesn't totally go against what the Flood stood for, unlike Midichlorians and the Force.

The Force (which was supposedly all-encompassing and interacted with by ones own connection to it) now being said to be dependent on microscopic bugs in your blood is a complete shift in the nature of the Force (at the very least the nature of anyone's use or interaction with it) and how it's perceived. The problem wasn't that we now know too much about the Force, is that's everything we did know was now confused, muddied, and inconsistent if we accepted the new information.

Nothing in the Forerunner saga is a complete shift away from the Flood being a nearly all-power parasite which can consume galaxies' worth of life. The new information isn't incompatible with the old.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3