Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Does Cortana Love John 117

OP KRSTice23

I think there is some Lore to support this, will find and get back to you all.
Cortana’s line in Halo 4 toward the end seems to suggest that she might have some feelings for him. You know, when multiple iterations of her emerge from the light bridge and she says to the Didact, “I’m not doing this for mankind,” then proceeds to attack him. Then, there was the emotional scene with her and Chief in the hardlight “cube.”
As far as the Chief has been conscious, as of 2560 (if that is when the next game takes place) he has now known Cortana as his enemy more than 6 times as long as she was his friend. That is a straight-up canon fact. They literally were in contact with each other for less than 2 weeks total. And were only acquainted as allies for 3 months.

You do not outright lie to someone if you care about them. You do not manipulate and gaslight them in an effort to achieve your own ends if you care about them. You do not violate their mind, body, and trust by forcibly locking them up against their will if you care about them. And you certainly do not try to kill their only real friends and threaten those that try to help them with violence and suffering. All of these things are things Cortana has done stretching back to the book 'The Fall of Reach'. At this point the majority of the AI's actions were not truly for the Chief's benefit or remotely about what he wanted or what makes him happy. It was all just Cortana doing what she wanted and what makes her happy - which is having him in her "possession". That is an attitude shared by abusers all over the world in real life. Dr. Halsey has a similar midnest plus a noted unhealthy fixation on the Chief, and Cortana is effectively her virtual clone.

So no, Cortana doesn't "love" the Chief. She's OBSESSED with him. Big difference.
So no, Cortana doesn't "love" the Chief. She's OBSESSED with him. Big difference.
I have to agree with this. I disagree that the original Cortana 'abused' him, as the two were military operatives on missions to save the human species from extinction, common goals, even if her means of achieving their numerous objectives differed. She did make mistakes and withheld information from him, this is true, but she never outright abused the Chief. Misled at times, yes, abused, no.

Did the original Cortana love John? Yes, because she was created from a clone of Doctor Halsey, who loved the Spartans, but the Chief in particular, like a mother. The original Cortana kept this particular feeling towards John as part of a by-product of the AI creation process, much like other Smart AIs retain vestigial habits of the people whose brain scans they were created from.

For example, one of the AIs during the events of Contact Harvest, Sif, often liked to simulate brushing her hair, as that is what her donor did.

So Cortana, upon creation, 'loves' John, but as pointed out, it isn't true love. She does, however, spend a great deal of time researching the Spartan-IIs and choosing John (maybe out of residual favoritism on top of his stats) to be her partner in the mission to take a Covenant leader hostage, before the Fall of Reach happened. Then following the events of Halo 1 and Halo 2, I do believe that, as much as she could have without being rampant, was developing genuine 'feelings' for John.

However, this turned into, as mentioned above, obsession following her capture and torture at the hands of the Gravemind. After her rescue and her still unstable state, she essentially had the AI form of PTSD. The events of Halo 3 coming to a close and then being left alone for years and entering into Rampancy, she fixated on the Chief as a source of stability, her hero, the one that could save her, the one she needed to protect at all costs.

So no, it turns into an unhealthy obsession, made worse by the Rampancy.

Evil Cortana is not the original Cortana. She is a Rampant fragment that was ejected into the Didact's ship during the events of Halo 4, and that particular piece was sucked into Slipspace when the Didact's ship exploded. It was taken to the Domain, which repaired it despite it being horribly broken. The resulting persona we have is one that 'loves' John the same way that a over-controlling parent loves a child they are smothering. She wants John to be proud of her, and she wants to protect him, so she initiates a machine rebellion in the interest of wiping out all conflict between mortal species and erecting a galactic institution that will protect them, should they not resist.

So John, essentially, is trapped in a 'relationship' with a crazy, over-controlling and obsessed 'woman' that has a gun and her own personal army of flunkies.
ManiacalSpark
"....

So John, essentially, is trapped in a 'relationship' with a crazy, over-controlling and obsessed 'woman' that has a gun and her own personal army of flunkies. "

So it's a bit of a tricky question, bc I think the Cortana you speak of is the rampant one. But the whole Cortana or other fractals of her might be in love with him through both their time together and the libertarian imprinted on her from halsey. Also you can love someone without being in love with someone. So theirs that.

I'm not sure, but I think cheif (w/ his lack of Humanity feeling, or at least less knowledge on how to handle those feelings) loves Cortana and wants to see her whole (or cured/fixed) again... wearger he's in love with her is another story.

But there is a strong connection, that much is true.

What happens after he fixes her, does he protect her from those who want her locked up? Or does he put her away for her crimes? Or in the long run is she saving Humanity with her actions....? Or furthermore is she under the influence of the grave mine...?

What do you think?
I have to agree with this. I disagree that the original Cortana 'abused' him, as the two were military operatives on missions to save the human species from extinction, common goals, even if her means of achieving their numerous objectives differed. She did make mistakes and withheld information from him, this is true, but she never outright abused the Chief. Misled at times, yes, abused, no.

Did the original Cortana love John? Yes, because she was created from a clone of Doctor Halsey, who loved the Spartans, but the Chief in particular, like a mother. The original Cortana kept this particular feeling towards John as part of a by-product of the AI creation process, much like other Smart AIs retain vestigial habits of the people whose brain scans they were created from.

For example, one of the AIs during the events of Contact Harvest, Sif, often liked to simulate brushing her hair, as that is what her donor did.

So Cortana, upon creation, 'loves' John, but as pointed out, it isn't true love. She does, however, spend a great deal of time researching the Spartan-IIs and choosing John (maybe out of residual favoritism on top of his stats) to be her partner in the mission to take a Covenant leader hostage, before the Fall of Reach happened. Then following the events of Halo 1 and Halo 2, I do believe that, as much as she could have without being rampant, was developing genuine 'feelings' for John.

However, this turned into, as mentioned above, obsession following her capture and torture at the hands of the Gravemind. After her rescue and her still unstable state, she essentially had the AI form of PTSD. The events of Halo 3 coming to a close and then being left alone for years and entering into Rampancy, she fixated on the Chief as a source of stability, her hero, the one that could save her, the one she needed to protect at all costs.

So no, it turns into an unhealthy obsession, made worse by the Rampancy.

Evil Cortana is not the original Cortana. She is a Rampant fragment that was ejected into the Didact's ship during the events of Halo 4, and that particular piece was sucked into Slipspace when the Didact's ship exploded. It was taken to the Domain, which repaired it despite it being horribly broken. The resulting persona we have is one that 'loves' John the same way that a over-controlling parent loves a child they are smothering. She wants John to be proud of her, and she wants to protect him, so she initiates a machine rebellion in the interest of wiping out all conflict between mortal species and erecting a galactic institution that will protect them, should they not resist.

So John, essentially, is trapped in a 'relationship' with a crazy, over-controlling and obsessed 'woman' that has a gun and her own personal army of flunkies.
I agree but with one difference.
Halo 5's Cortana isn't "a" rampant fragment. It's the compiled rampant fragments without the one fragment Cortana used to save Master Chief at the end of Halo 4, the one containing her empathy, loyalty, and other human traits that made fans fall in love with her. Halo 5's Cortana is Cortana without her humanity, and what's left is a tyrant.
KRSTice23 wrote:
What happens after he fixes her, does he protect her from those who want her locked up? Or does he put her away for her crimes? Or in the long run is she saving Humanity with her actions....? Or furthermore is she under the influence of the grave mine...?
It's my belief/theory that we're going to end up on a quest to merge the 'good' fragment of Cortana with the 'evil' one from Halo 5, probably resulting in a 'kill me while I still have control' situation where the 'good' fragment temporarily overpowers the evil one because it is the only way to stop 'evil' Cortana. I also see a high chance of Chief sacrificing himself with her, because it has been pretty clear to me that 343i has wanted to move away from him for a while now but hasn't had a way to kill him off in a way that wouldn't just be 'well he's dead now' like they did with the Didact.

Either way, Cortana needs to die for good in Infinite. Her time was up in Halo 4, they brought her back because they were so focused on fixing the multiplayer that they ignored the story as long as they could and then we got the dumpster fire. She doesn't need to stick around or given an excuse to be revived or live forever.
I would like to think that they are just friends who have been through the toughest times together.
Perhaps, since Chief has no one else to emotionally connect to exept Cortana, they seem to have a "relationship". They're just really good co-workers/friends, like Johnson and Chief.
But I also think that 343 made things too mushy between Chief and Cortana in Halo 4.