Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Earth (Post Guardians)

OP baconsam5283

In light of Shadows of Reach being released soon, I had a topic I’d like to discuss.

Cortana’s plan was to release Guardians all over the galaxy, using them to police the universe until it became a utopia. In Bad Blood, we are told that there is a Guardian over Earth and that it has taken out most of the technology on Luna (the moon).

My question is, is there any other lore on what life on Earth is like with a Guardian overhead? If not, any speculations?
Not yet, we'll get more as we get closer to Halo Infinite's release and a big part of that will be Halo Shadows of Reach.
I would imagine life on Earth with a guardian present is basically like the whole planet has been thrust into the Stone Age. There's likely been a mass die off in response to all the infrastructure collapsing.
I guess it all depends on if the citizens of Earth pulled what the Grunts did or not. The Grunts after centuries of servitude rose up and said we are yours to control Cortana,(paraphrasing). The citizens of Earth saying the same is highly doubtful. Being ancestral home to the human race, I foresee many telling Cortana where to stick it. There are of course those that would follow suit and become Benedict Arnolds sort of like the days we are in now. The cycle repeats because Humanity doesn't learn from history like it should so there will always be those that turn on their fellow man for their own goals. To stop my rambling, I'm just going to say that there could possibly be a book going into more detail or maybe some short stories saying about life on Earth post Guardians. I would say that the possibility of a book or short story is high being that a lot of us are curious. Who knows, might be in Shadows of Reach.
Here's hoping.
I'd imagine all UNSC and Known ONI sites were razed or occupied and Earth disarmed as much as possible by the created. However, people don't like being told what to do, even 500 years from now. Basing off the fractures story where a UNSC frigate and crew are stuck on a settler colony and the locals are anti-UNSC but not actively combative, I'd say earth hoomans are likely passively and actively resisting to varying degrees.
  • rebel networks beneath everyday compliance (depending on what created occupation looks like on the ground)
  • ONI blacksites doing spooky stuff, I'd imagine they have a NOVA bomb or 2 around the capital of our empire for worst case scenarios..... we could rebuild earth with forerunner tech eventually I'd bet.
  • If the created left us w/o any electricity or help after the initial attack, then nothing really just lots of dying off as earth seems to be an importer now. The Suez is still green according to the anniversary version of Cairo-station earth and Canada and the USA remnants are likely still a bread basket but its not enough for 12 billions or whatever carrying capacity earth has since much farmland is likely industrial by 2500.
I would imagine life on Earth with a guardian present is basically like the whole planet has been thrust into the Stone Age. There's likely been a mass die off in response to all the infrastructure collapsing.
I imagine that it's not that bad off. After all, it's only human infrastructure. Following what would obviously be a period of attempted resistance against the Guardians and the Created, in which there would most likely be pinpoint strikes against military and government sites to quell any sort of uprising. Given that Evil Cortana and the Created are all based from Humanity, there would obviously be a little more leeway here than on former Covenant worlds in terms of 'obey or die'. Once all active resistance was crushed and the civilian population showed no signs of continuing hostilities, then I see the Created allowing for human civilization to resume under heavy monitoring and control, but otherwise 'normal'.

Power plants being allowed to come back online, industrial outputs resuming along with commercial goods and services. Broadcast entertainment programs. The Created would have no real reason to do anything other than monitor all communication on the planet and take precision action against individuals that were stepping out of line, or perhaps would have stepped out of line in the future, up to and including isolating the individual and stripping them of goods and property, or even outright execution if said individual was combative and unwilling to conform to the desired behavior the Created wanted.

You'd also be looking at mass re-education and indoctrination of the planetary population towards favoring the Created viewpoint. Harder with adults, but starting with younger children and teaching the that 'The Created are your friends. The Created are making a better world for you and your family. Do not resist The Created. Resisting is Futile", etc. Eventually the goal would be to more or less 'domesticate' Humanity into accepting it's new role under the Created's guidance and leadership.

That being said, yes, you'd be looking at planetwide damage, most cities would probably get blapped. The global economy crashing to a halt, large swathes of the human population being wiped out in the early stage of resistance....Certainly BAD things would happen and Humanity would be in a rough state until the Created stepped in and helped the pacified Humans begin rebuilding all the infrastructure and other damage caused...But I honestly don't think it would be all that horrible in the long run.

Oppressive? Certainly, but not to the point where someone sneezes and they get put against a wall in front of a line of Armigers. If you follow the rules and uphold the Imperial Peace, you'd be fine.
I imagine that it's not that bad off. After all, it's only human infrastructure. Following what would obviously be a period of attempted resistance against the Guardians and the Created, in which there would most likely be pinpoint strikes against military and government sites to quell any sort of uprising. Given that Evil Cortana and the Created are all based from Humanity, there would obviously be a little more leeway here than on former Covenant worlds in terms of 'obey or die'. Once all active resistance was crushed and the civilian population showed no signs of continuing hostilities, then I see the Created allowing for human civilization to resume under heavy monitoring and control, but otherwise 'normal'.

Power plants being allowed to come back online, industrial outputs resuming along with commercial goods and services. Broadcast entertainment programs. The Created would have no real reason to do anything other than monitor all communication on the planet and take precision action against individuals that were stepping out of line, or perhaps would have stepped out of line in the future, up to and including isolating the individual and stripping them of goods and property, or even outright execution if said individual was combative and unwilling to conform to the desired behavior the Created wanted.

You'd also be looking at mass re-education and indoctrination of the planetary population towards favoring the Created viewpoint. Harder with adults, but starting with younger children and teaching the that 'The Created are your friends. The Created are making a better world for you and your family. Do not resist The Created. Resisting is Futile", etc. Eventually the goal would be to more or less 'domesticate' Humanity into accepting it's new role under the Created's guidance and leadership.

That being said, yes, you'd be looking at planetwide damage, most cities would probably get blapped. The global economy crashing to a halt, large swathes of the human population being wiped out in the early stage of resistance....Certainly BAD things would happen and Humanity would be in a rough state until the Created stepped in and helped the pacified Humans begin rebuilding all the infrastructure and other damage caused...But I honestly don't think it would be all that horrible in the long run.

Oppressive? Certainly, but not to the point where someone sneezes and they get put against a wall in front of a line of Armigers. If you follow the rules and uphold the Imperial Peace, you'd be fine.
It's just that, some things really can't come back once they are destroyed or ignored. Humanity in the 2500s likely runs almost entirely on nuclear fusion reactors. If the Created come in and utterly wreck humanity's infrastructure, there would be quite a few nuclear plants going into meltdown. Not to mention the thousands, and perhaps hundreds of thousands, of ships floating in high orbit or near orbit, each of which would come crashing down with the kinetic energy of an atomic bomb.

I think you're right that the survivors would be treated to an oppressive but stable peace, but a lot of people would have had to die before that could be reached.
In light of Shadows of Reach being released soon, I had a topic I’d like to discuss.

Cortana’s plan was to release Guardians all over the galaxy, using them to police the universe until it became a utopia. In Bad Blood, we are told that there is a Guardian over Earth and that it has taken out most of the technology on Luna (the moon).

My question is, is there any other lore on what life on Earth is like with a Guardian overhead? If not, any speculations?
The only real safe bet is that most of the planet is in the dark thanks to the Guardian hovering over it. Cortana recognises the importance of earth as Humanitys Cradle and its a safe bet the Guardian there will remain there. In fact it’s likely there is a Guardian on all Cradle worlds (planets of origin) for the known sentient species of the galaxy.
We'll have to wait and see.