Forums / Community / Halo Universe

English spoken by the covenant is pretty fluent

OP PR0ASIS

Is there some form of cannon which states how they came to speak english, let alone so well? I mean sangheili shouldn't be able to with their mouths all jacked up...
Universal translators, or study.
Translator programs, essentially. Cortana was working on them throughout her time on Reach and Alpha Halo, finally getting them working so that they were able to be used by the UNSC during the events of Halo 2 and 3. One might assume that a in-universe reason for why they don't work in Halo 4 and 5 is due to the different racial make-up of the Storm Covenant's Jackals and Elites, which are from different parts of their respective homeworlds, thus they use different languages.
Well the forerunners i thought spoke fluent English as well so if the covenant believed that they were gods English might be something the covenant might have taught
I doubt Forerunners naturally spoke any human dialect , but as we became mortal enemies , it became necessary to learn them (with their mutation ability however.....who knows what they can learn or pick up through this process). The Librarian , and Chant to Green learned English I would think as part of their interaction and study of primitive Humans.
It would be more likely that Sanghelii basic or San'shyuum is heavily influenced by Forerunner speech patterns.
Other covered the translators which is the reason you hear all other species speaking English in the games. Not sure if you’ve read any of the books, but there are some instances where a Sangheili or Kig-Yar will speak English and there will be a remark on how well they speak it and if there are some quirks with their speech, eg. not being able to pronounce sibilants properly. So there are a good number who actually speak it just as there are many humans who can speak alien languages.
PR0ASIS wrote:
Is there some form of cannon which states how they came to speak english, let alone so well? I mean sangheili shouldn't be able to with their mouths all jacked up...
They have a translation device. It's stated in Halo: the Fall of Reach, when the UNSC Heracles received the transmission that follows: "Your destruction is the will of the gods, and we are their instrument". That translation was the Covenant's official Declaration of War to humanity.