Skip to main content
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
For me my first choice is First Strike, you get to see the battle on Reach for the Spartan II's and get to see chief reunite with his fellow Spartan's after Halo CE. Silent Storm became a very close second with all the information we get to see with the origins of John as the Master Chief and his fight against the Covenant.
Fall of Reach is definitely my favorite one. Then maybe Ghosts of Onyx.
Fall of Reach, Cole Protocol and Ghosts of Onyx are my favourite. I just can't decide between them.
I know this may sound hipster-ish, but does I Love Bees count as an audio book/play? It absolutely and completely hooked me back in the day. It inspired me to seek out the rest of the expanded universe and pick up Fall of Reach.

I used to be super into Halo lore back around 2007-2011. I read and absolutely loved the Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, Contact Harvest, and Ghosts of Onyx (I kind of consider these first five books to be almost be a Pentalogy in terms of setting up background for the Bungie games). Then I read Glasslands and it was hard for me to finish. I was super excited to get a glimpse of the universe after Halo 3 and it felt like the author did not really care much about the larger universe and just wanted to focus on this hyper specific set of people and Halsey. It just was not what I was looking for I guess.

After that, I've kept up on nearly all the games, but have not picked up a Halo book since. This thread has been wonderful for ideas on where to start (Hunters in the Dark, the Forerunner trilogy). One suggestion I've seen elsewhere but have not seen as much in this thread: the two short story collections seem to get a lot of praise. Are Evolutions and Fractures good places to dive back in?

Edit: Also, forgot to ask, I heard they reissued the first three books with changes at some point; are the reissues worth picking up if I still have my original copies? Are the changes significant or is it just like making adjustments to numbers to keep things in line with later canon?
My favorite book, perhaps ever written was “The Flood.” I just loved the way the story was structured. It was so unique, and told the story in a way I haven’t ever seen since. I loved the one off and side characters and how the author was able to build up a character and backstory sometimes in only a few paragraphs. It made the events of the first game seem real, and in my opinion did the best at making Halo a living breathing universe that I could imagine myself in.
I know this may sound hipster-ish, but does I Love Bees count as an audio book/play? It absolutely and completely hooked me back in the day. It inspired me to seek out the rest of the expanded universe and pick up Fall of Reach.

I used to be super into Halo lore back around 2007-2011. I read and absolutely loved the Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, Contact Harvest, and Ghosts of Onyx (I kind of consider these first five books to be almost be a Pentalogy in terms of setting up background for the Bungie games). Then I read Glasslands and it was hard for me to finish. I was super excited to get a glimpse of the universe after Halo 3 and it felt like the author did not really care much about the larger universe and just wanted to focus on this hyper specific set of people and Halsey. It just was not what I was looking for I guess.

After that, I've kept up on nearly all the games, but have not picked up a Halo book since. This thread has been wonderful for ideas on where to start (Hunters in the Dark, the Forerunner trilogy). One suggestion I've seen elsewhere but have not seen as much in this thread: the two short story collections seem to get a lot of praise. Are Evolutions and Fractures good places to dive back in?

Edit: Also, forgot to ask, I heard they reissued the first three books with changes at some point; are the reissues worth picking up if I still have my original copies? Are the changes significant or is it just like making adjustments to numbers to keep things in line with later canon?
If you love expanded lore I would most definitely recommend reading Fractures and Evolutions, basically they are mini stories that take place around the Halo Universe. Some of the stories in Fractures are attachments to full books. So if there are certain stories you like in it, then there might be a full book for it too. As far as reissued books I only know that Fall of Reach, ironically enough, was rereleased so it fit with the lore of Halo Reach the game. If I remember correctly, Reach (game) contradicted a lot of what happened in Fall of Reach. So 343I rereleased the book with some newer details so the game and book would work together fluently.
My favorite book, perhaps ever written was “The Flood.” I just loved the way the story was structured. It was so unique, and told the story in a way I haven’t ever seen since. I loved the one off and side characters and how the author was able to build up a character and backstory sometimes in only a few paragraphs. It made the events of the first game seem real, and in my opinion did the best at making Halo a living breathing universe that I could imagine myself in.
That's one of the books I haven't been able to read yet! I'm reading Ghost of Onyx right now and might start that one after it.
JB Linken wrote:
I think mine would be Contact Harvest.

I read all the books as they came out, but had to play catch up with the Kilo Five Trilogy and have been a little behind ever since.
I want to read the Kilo-Five trilogy but have yet to.
Thanks Cryptum! I think I’ll probably pick up Fractures and go from there!
My favourite Halo story is the short-story "Dirt" in Halo Evolutions, something about that just stuck with me, I don't know why. But that doesn't count as a whole book. My favourite book is Contact Harvest, mostly because it provides more direct context to the entire human-covenant war. It answers why it starts, it goes into detail about how the Covenant work (and how dang corrupt the Prophets are).

Also Johnson.
I began to read books about halo with the forerunner saga by Greg Bear and they are for me, my favorit book in the halo universe
That's one of the books I haven't been able to read yet! I'm reading Ghost of Onyx right now and might start that one after it.
Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
ghosts of onyx and glasslands are a bit tied, but halo warfleet is cool too
I just finished reading Contact Harvest and really enjoyed it. I loved that they put Private Jenkins in as a big part of the story. Not sure what to read next though, this is kind of my first jump into the novels
I can't decide between Fall of Reach, Ghosts of Onyx, or First Strike. They were all so great!
I have to go with Contact Harvest. A book about Sgt Johnson written by the guy who created the Halo fiction in the first place, what's not to love?
I just started to get into the novels and just finished reading Fall of Reach yesterday and it definitely is a great book in my opinion. It really kept me on the edge especially during the second half. Eric Nylund knows how to write a nice compelling sci-fi story.
I'm currently a quarter through The Flood but Jesus, I know it's supposed to be the "game as a novel" but Dietz could've done without the Master Chief story (there's no imagination when I read MC's story, I just see me playing the game in my head) and concentrated more on all the unseen side stories. Those are really interesting so I usually skip the cringy MC stuff.
I don't really like Dietz' writing style as well compared to Nylund's. Can't wait to get it over with and continue with First Strike.
I've only read the first 3 books but "the fall of reach" has been my favorite so far.
Just finished smoke and shadows and am 1/4 through envoy. Envoy is shaping up to be my favourite novel. -Yoink- be poppin off from every angle and you get many perspectives. Very well written.
I am reading everything in chronological order, I am just finishing "The Thursday War".

As far as favorites, so far I am really enjoying Kilo-Five trilogy (I know it's a polarizing one).

But of the entire book series, I'd put Forerunner trilogy first, then Ghosts of Onyx, then Contact Harvest probably.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4