Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Favorite Halo Book

OP Spencer410

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
What is everyone’s favorite Halo book? I’ve read the majority of them but not the most recent ones. For me it’s Ghosts of Onyx as it’s a classic Halo story with Blue Team, Spartan IIIs, mysterious forerunner creations, and the relentless covenant
So many great books, but recently i've read Shadow Of Intent and i loved it, super cool story post war.
First Strike for me... although I haven’t read some of them in over a decade, perhaps it’s time for a reread :)
Contact Harvest. I've said it before, but I'll say it here again. I view Contact Harvest as a cornerstone of the Halo Universe. You get a backstory on the legendary Johnson as well as the Prophet Triumvirate and Tartarus. It also gives a lot of background on the motivations of the Covenant (not just humanity's destruction being "the will of the gods", but the actual sinister reasons behind why the three eventual Prophets declared a holy war on humanity).

The Nylund Trilogy came first, so that's the natural foundation of the EU, but without Contact Harvest, we'd have little to no information on how the whole 30 year war actually started.
First strike and Ghosts of Onyx are tied in my opinion. Nylund had a way of writing the universe that drew me in.
First Strike. It fills in the space between CE and 2 with an enthralling story and dangerous mission.
The forerunner trilogy, particularly Silentium, was really well written
I have only read a few of them but First Strike was my favorite of the bunch.
I'm tied on the Fall of Reach because it gave the back story of the Spartans and had many interesting characters, and New Blood because it gave me the feels in some parts and was probably the first time I shed a few tears while reading a book.
Silent Storm was honestly excellent. Also really rate Broken Circle. Seriously interesting narrative route of very easily overlooked parts of the universe and fertile ground for a future series of work
Since I'm still in the middle of First Strike I don't have many to choose from at the moment but it's a tough one between Fall of Reach and First Strike for me (maybe I like FoR a bit more).
I skipped The Flood after reading about a third through it though so I at least know what's not ending up as my favorite.
My Top 3 in no particular order are:

Halo: New Blood
Halo: The Fall of Reach
Halo: Silent Storm
The fall of reach
Ghosts of Onyx is my favorite so far but First Strike will always have a special place in my heart. I'm reading Contact Harvest right now and that's a solid book as well. Reading through other replies and The Fall of Reach also amazing. Never mind, I can't pick a favorite.
Terg500 wrote:
Since I'm still in the middle of First Strike I don't have many to choose from at the moment but it's a tough one between Fall of Reach and First Strike for me (maybe I like FoR a bit more).
I skipped The Flood after reading about a third through it though so I at least know what's not ending up as my favorite.
The Flood was definitely a difficult read for me. While there were some exciting moments, most of that book was just a dull novelization of Combat Evolved.
That's hard to say, I have many.

But I think as of right now, my favourite is Halo Envoy. It brought back Gray Team in an amazing way, had a great story, some epic battles, great characters, and of course,
Spoiler:
Show
Others worthy of mention are: Ghosts of Onyx, First Strike, Bad Blood, Fall of Reach, Hunters in the Dark.

Overall, I have like all the Halo books (though one I had a bit of a hard time swallowing was Mortal Dictata and The Flood, but even then, I still enjoyed it to some degree).
Though I like all the books, I'd have to say the Forerunner trilogy and Renegades are my favorites. The Forerunners have always been the aspect of Halo lore that I've enjoyed learning about the most (though the other stuff is great don't get me wrong) and the Forerunner trilogy, while slow, is a gold mine of fascinating (and sometimes heartbreaking) lore. Renegades just builds upon the cliffhanger of Primordium with some genuinely gut wrenching moments from Chakas (especially when he meets the Librarian) and is fantastically well written in general.

Ghosts of Onyx is amazing as well but I'd say the overarching story of the four above just slightly puts them above Ghosts of Onyx.
At the book store with Fall of Reach in my hands. Can not wait to get home and crack this open. Really enjoyed New Blood as a Buck fan (read it all in his voice). Thinking this will get me ready to jump back into Reach on MCC soon
why choose just one my favorites are 1.thursday war 2. the flood 3. evoulutions 1 and 2
The Fall of Reach
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2