Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Favorite Inconsequential Line in Halo Universe?

OP MochaNight67368

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I would prefer the line has little to no relevance on the plot of the game, book , movie, etc.

My choice is from Halo 3 , which is surprising because I always saw Halo 3 as a total regression in terms of the Campaign.

It is in the in the opening scene of Crow's Nest where Master Chief is brought back into the fold :

Commander Keyes: " Where did you find him?"

Johnson: "Napping, out back"

Commander Keyes: "I'll bet"

This little line perfectly reflects the friendship Johnson had developed with Master Chief by making a joke at his expense. It shows a comfort level that he's been here a while as a fixture, which makes his loss later all the more poignant. Although this scene is small , small little scenes like this add the additional weight to eventual plot points such as Johnson's death. The story for being a joke is also still remarkably accurate. Furthermore, the joke works because everyone in the game and the audience knows how hard Master Chief constantly works. Mix all of that in with the fact this is a world ending scenario and Johnson still has his humor and it makes a small moment of many that I love in the Halo Universe.

So, what is your favorite inconsequential line from the Halo Universe and more importantly why?
It's not a line, but I loved in Ghosts of Onyx when Kelly flipped off one of the sentinels. It was just a little moment that made me chuckle and gave her some more character.
I have many favorites but the only one I can think of right now is when in sierra 117, cheif was told by Johnson to lower his weapon off of Thel and he said: "were it so easy". It just goes to show how skilled of a fighter he is.
"Faster! Move as if the Didact himself were watching!" - 'Lhar
Buck's advice to the Rookie in ODST: "If you ever fall in love with a woman, make sure she's got balls."

Arbiter to Locke in Halo 5: "ONI... out of the shadows... the spies announce themselves now, Agent Locke?" A line from a better story, it feels like. It's one of those lines that's packed full of data. We know from this line (and how it's conveyed) that the Arbiter detests ONI, dislikes Locke, is not afraid of either, is wise enough to draw distinctions between enemies and allies within a species alien to his own, and (fairly importantly) knows more than we've been given reason to believe he should know. ONI's agents roster isn't something people can just look up online -- the Arbiter would need inside sources to know that. That he set up such a source while also trying to hold his planet and people together is admirable. He's a real go-getter.
Not sure if this counts since it's a line paired with actions but I think it counts because of what happens right after it's done.

It's in Halo 3 when Miranda Keyes says "To war" and -Yoinks!- her M6G sidearm as she heads up the stairs. Then immediately after that she puts her sidearm back in it's holster and walks back down the stairs.

First off, the guy asking "Squad leaders are requesting a rally point. Where should they go?", "To War" is not a valid answer. That doesn't tell them a specific location, it is literally of no help at all in answering his question. And why the hell is she cocking her gun and walking up the stairs like she's going to go fight when she immediately reholsters the weapon and walks back down the steps. This was literally one of the most inconsequential lines in all of Halo 3 in my opinion.
The memorial at the end of Halo 3.

Lord Hood: "Hard to believe he's dead..."
Thel: "Were it so easy.."

The Arbiter never seems convinced that he's dead. He does know better than anyone that Chief is simply unkillable. Still probably wakes up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat remembering the battle of installation 04 where he sent everyone and his momma after the chief and could not stop him.
when carter tells noble team that coms are down and command wont be keeping them company on the mission. "I'm lonely already" -emile
I love this quote from Catherine Halsey in Spartan Ops episode 7:

'If people would just share things with me I could solve all the world's problems.'

It's somewhere between altruistic and well-intentioned and utterly narcissistic. She's so smart that it might almost be true, and she means it with the best intentions, yet it sounds so wrong given what we know of how far she's willing to go for the greater good. Also, it's part of all the hints letting us theorize that she was supposed to forcefully take the Mantle in Halo 5 instead of Cortana, which would have made the story much more natural in my opinion.
"I regret everything!"
Halo CE: "Dont get any ideas.."
Halo 2: "I know what the ladies like."
Halo 3: "Tank beats everything!"
Odst:
Reach: "You're scary, know that?"
4: "Someones compensating for something".
5: "Aw hell."
Odst:
I take it as a slight that you don't have one for ODST , probably the best Halo campaign despite being short...

"Take my advice Rookie, if you ever fall for a woman, make sure she's got balls..."
Noah B225 wrote:
I love this quote from Catherine Halsey in Spartan Ops episode 7:

'If people would just share things with me I could solve all the world's problems.'

It's somewhere between altruistic and well-intentioned and utterly narcissistic. She's so smart that it might almost be true, and she means it with the best intentions, yet it sounds so wrong given what we know of how far she's willing to go for the greater good. Also, it's part of all the hints letting us theorize that she was supposed to forcefully take the Mantle in Halo 5 instead of Cortana, which would have made the story much more natural in my opinion.
Yes , I always loved that line too mainly because it feels credible given all the lore history. Dr. Halsey is a proven genius time and again during the Covenant War , an absolute asset. At the same time if you read the lore deep enough it becomes abundantly clear the dark side of the UNSC and ONI with all the conspiratorial infighting that takes place, especially in ONI it feels like the UNSC as a whole has an arm tied behind its back. Colonel Ackerson definitely comes to mind for an example. I think Halsey really could solve all their problems.
"This is it baby. Hold me." -Johnson
Odst:
I take it as a slight that you don't have one for ODST , probably the best Halo campaign despite being short...

"Take my advice Rookie, if you ever fall for a woman, make sure she's got balls..."
"Alright people, you know the dance."
"I wasn't talking about the alien."
Sorry, I meant to put these there, please don't kill me.
I swear I'm not a heretic, really!
I had the "were it so easy" line in my head before I scrolled through and saw that two other people already put it out there. Still love it and I've used it responding to texts a few times and no one gets it lol.
That line says a lot even though it's so short.
I had the "were it so easy" line in my head before I scrolled through and saw that two other people already put it out there. Still love it and I've used it responding to texts a few times and no one gets it lol.
That line says a lot even though it's so short.
Always have enjoyed that line, it has a strong pathos to it. The Arbiter went through hell because of Chief, then went through hell with him.
Not sure if this counts since it's a line paired with actions but I think it counts because of what happens right after it's done.

It's in Halo 3 when Miranda Keyes says "To war" and -Yoinks!- her M6G sidearm as she heads up the stairs. Then immediately after that she puts her sidearm back in it's holster and walks back down the stairs.

First off, the guy asking "Squad leaders are requesting a rally point. Where should they go?", "To War" is not a valid answer. That doesn't tell them a specific location, it is literally of no help at all in answering his question. And why the hell is she cocking her gun and walking up the stairs like she's going to go fight when she immediately reholsters the weapon and walks back down the steps. This was literally one of the most inconsequential lines in all of Halo 3 in my opinion.
This is possibly my vote for all time worst Halo line, whoever wrote the dialog there honestly needs slapped. LOL It's so bad I crack up every time I play that mission, and it really breaks the immersion.

This is possibly my vote for all time worst Halo line, whoever wrote the dialog there honestly needs slapped. LOL It's so bad I crack up every time I play that mission, and it really breaks the immersion.
Yeah, agreed. Though "Surprise, crap face!" Is also pretty cringe worthy.
Jun: Well, It points a click and a half east and 2000 feet underground

Emile: Uh, I didn't bring my shovel, commander.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S6pIcPw05S8
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3