Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Flood lore

OP Jerbok

Hey folks!
I’ve recently started to read bunch of halo lore and was hoping to get to know the origins of flood thoroughly.
How does The Primordial tie into the flood?
- Did he create the flood or was he simply just a spawn of flood mixed with a precursor or something like that?
and the main thing i’m interested in is how does the flood’s logic plague work?
I know the graveminds has to talk to AI but there has to be more to it than just twisting words, right?

Thank you for your answers!
Jerbok

mod edit: moved to Halo Universe
Well the flood are just an extension of the precursors will. They were used as a tool to kill off the forerunners and could potentially be a part of seeing if a species is worthy of the mantle. As for the primordial, well he is the first gravemind and may have been a precursors as well.
Jerbok wrote:
Hey folks!
I’ve recently started to read bunch of halo lore and was hoping to get to know the origins of flood thoroughly.
How does The Primordial tie into the flood?
- Did he create the flood or was he simply just a spawn of flood mixed with a precursor or something like that?
and the main thing i’m interested in is how does the flood’s logic plague work?
I know the graveminds has to talk to AI but there has to be more to it than just twisting words, right?

Thank you for your answers!
Jerbok

mod edit: moved to Halo Universe
My understanding through multiple intensive readings of the novels, is that the Precursors are a race of incorporeal beings who used biological avatars to interact with the mortal races they created. After the Forerunners went genocidal on the Precursors' avatars, some of said avatars turned themselves into dust that could recreate their species at a later point, while others locked themselves away in stasis. The Incorporeal Precursors allowed both forms of preserved avatars to mutate into the Flood.
The dust is the origin of the outbreaks, and the Primordial is one of the original avatars that mutated in its stasis. As such the Primordial is Flood, but it's not made out of converted dead creatures' bodies, because it's still in its own form.

The answers can be found in the Forerunner Saga.