Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Forerunners in future games?

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

Halo 4 did something quite different from the other games, having the Didact, a living Forerunner present in the story. Then Halo 5 went back to the older games of not living Forerunners in the games, at least in the forefront. In the audio logs we get a living Forerunner Builder looking for something called Bastion. Do you think other possible living Forerunners could show up and appear in future games? I sure as hell hope so.
When the Halos fired the only surviving Forerunners were those on the Lesser Ark, or who were in stasis like the Didact, and we know that the Forerunners on the Ark condemned themselves to exile and extinction, so that when they passed, there'd be no more Forerunners.

It strikes me as highly unlikely that there's any pocket of Forerunner civilization left in the galaxy, and I don't expect any visits to or from the exiles in Path Kethona.
Halo 4 did something quite different from the other games, having the Didact, a living Forerunner present in the story. Then Halo 5 went back to the older games of not living Forerunners in the games, at least in the forefront. In the audio logs we get a living Forerunner Builder looking for something called Bastion. Do you think other possible living Forerunners could show up and appear in future games? I sure as hell hope so.
I don't hope so. They are a pain.
JNDreher wrote:
When the Halos fired the only surviving Forerunners were those on the Lesser Ark, or who were in stasis like the Didact, and we know that the Forerunners on the Ark condemned themselves to exile and extinction, so that when they passed, there'd be no more Forerunners.

It strikes me as highly unlikely that there's any pocket of Forerunner civilization left in the galaxy, and I don't expect any visits to or from the exiles in Path Kethona.
What'd you think Bastion is? In cut dialogue, the Builder (alive in the current story) says Bastion is Shield World 0983. With this, could you see there being a small colony possibly living there, and could come to help us in the fight against Cortana?
JNDreher wrote:
When the Halos fired the only surviving Forerunners were those on the Lesser Ark, or who were in stasis like the Didact, and we know that the Forerunners on the Ark condemned themselves to exile and extinction, so that when they passed, there'd be no more Forerunners.

It strikes me as highly unlikely that there's any pocket of Forerunner civilization left in the galaxy, and I don't expect any visits to or from the exiles in Path Kethona.
The premise of the Forerunners exiling themselves to voluntary extinction made sense to me until that epilogue in Fractures where the Iso-Didact and Chant to Green had a child. I wonder if other exiled Forerunners decided to procreate as well.
JNDreher wrote:
When the Halos fired the only surviving Forerunners were those on the Lesser Ark, or who were in stasis like the Didact, and we know that the Forerunners on the Ark condemned themselves to exile and extinction, so that when they passed, there'd be no more Forerunners.

It strikes me as highly unlikely that there's any pocket of Forerunner civilization left in the galaxy, and I don't expect any visits to or from the exiles in Path Kethona.
The premise of the Forerunners exiling themselves to voluntary extinction made sense to me until that epilogue in Fractures where the Iso-Didact and Chant to Green had a child. I wonder if other exiled Forerunners decided to procreate as well.
The Forerunners being in ones and twos does allow for a second generation as we saw with Bornstellar, but even if they had multiple kids, that's not a gene pool to last 100,000 years.
JNDreher wrote:
...
What'd you think Bastion is? In cut dialogue, the Builder (alive in the current story) says Bastion is Shield World 0983. With this, could you see there being a small colony possibly living there, and could come to help us in the fight against Cortana?
From the audio-logs it isn't clear if this Builder is still alive as of the end of Halo 5, or if he's a Composed essence like the ones Chakas met in Halo: Primordium. I haven't seen cut dialogue... could you link to the source?

As for another Shield World containing intact Forerunner civilization, I don't expect that to be the case, but we'll see if any shows up.
JNDreher wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
When the Halos fired the only surviving Forerunners were those on the Lesser Ark, or who were in stasis like the Didact, and we know that the Forerunners on the Ark condemned themselves to exile and extinction, so that when they passed, there'd be no more Forerunners.

It strikes me as highly unlikely that there's any pocket of Forerunner civilization left in the galaxy, and I don't expect any visits to or from the exiles in Path Kethona.
The premise of the Forerunners exiling themselves to voluntary extinction made sense to me until that epilogue in Fractures where the Iso-Didact and Chant to Green had a child. I wonder if other exiled Forerunners decided to procreate as well.
The Forerunners being in ones and twos does allow for a second generation as we saw with Bornstellar, but even if they had multiple kids, that's not a gene pool to last 100,000 years.
Oh most certainly that would not be sustainable. But I wonder if there were other groups who decided to rebuild somewhere else, perhaps in another galaxy. I doubt we'd get anything official that delves into that, but it's something I think about from time to time
JNDreher wrote:
JNDreher wrote:
...
What'd you think Bastion is? In cut dialogue, the Builder (alive in the current story) says Bastion is Shield World 0983. With this, could you see there being a small colony possibly living there, and could come to help us in the fight against Cortana?
From the audio-logs it isn't clear if this Builder is still alive as of the end of Halo 5, or if he's a Composed essence like the ones Chakas met in Halo: Primordium. I haven't seen cut dialogue... could you link to the source?

As for another Shield World containing intact Forerunner civilization, I don't expect that to be the case, but we'll see if any shows up.
Here's a link to Halo Canon's video on it. Not to plug any particular channel, but he included sources for the cut content, so it's pretty reliable.
Halo 4 did something quite different from the other games, having the Didact, a living Forerunner present in the story. Then Halo 5 went back to the older games of not living Forerunners in the games, at least in the forefront. In the audio logs we get a living Forerunner Builder looking for something called Bastion. Do you think other possible living Forerunners could show up and appear in future games? I sure as hell hope so.
I don't hope so. They are a pain.
Agreed. Forerunners, Prometheans, etc. Over them all.
Halo 4 did something quite different from the other games, having the Didact, a living Forerunner present in the story. Then Halo 5 went back to the older games of not living Forerunners in the games, at least in the forefront. In the audio logs we get a living Forerunner Builder looking for something called Bastion. Do you think other possible living Forerunners could show up and appear in future games? I sure as hell hope so.
I don't hope so. They are a pain.
Same. I liked how in Bungie's games they were this all-powerful race that we never saw. The enemies we fought in those games were way more fun and engaging. 343i's Promethean enemy design is very shallow and not very engaging which consequently made me not view the Prometheans as this all-powerful race anymore. One strategy: kill Watchers while keeping the Crawlers at bay and then spam the Knights with whatever ammo you've got left. There's nothing else to it and these enemies got even more annoying with the addition of Soldiers and their robot voices.

I've said it before, but I really hope 343i writes them out entirely and says makes up some lore reason like, "Oh, the Librarian's essence decided to recall all of them." I wouldn't care how good or bad of a story that would be as long as we don't have to fight them anymore. I feel like we've gotten to the point where making alterations to enemies that are fundamentally not fun to fight just won't work. I'd love to be proven wrong if 343i has worked out some way to do so though.

If we have a boss fight against someone like the Didact, I'd be pretty excited for it. But nothing like the freaking million-bodied Warden again. I thought the Didact was a great character and pretty well-written in Halo 4. It's a shame he wasn't used more effectively in that game.
I would love to see living forerunners face-to-face that aren't trying to frickin' kill me yk? I mean, the didact in H4 was just an -Yoink- who never let go of a grudge and the librarian was kinda emotionless. As for the prometheans, they were created in order to combat the flood, and seeing as infinite's gonna be taking place on zeta halo (I think it's zeta halo I can't quite remember) which is meant to be some flood research facility, we can expect to see prometheans there. Although I do kind of like the knight's design I just wish it wasn't so, human like. I mean, spearhead did a video on the prometheans and declared which design he liked best, and I can absolutely agree that a single, emotionless mono-eye would be a whole lot more effective than a face with evidence of teeth on the faceplate. And also the warden eternal was annoying af and too loyal to cortana.

Just like the flood, we will sadly be seeing prometheans again. I just hope they're not gonna be hollow husks like a lot of people have described. Also the idea of a human conscience in a mechanical body was poorly executed in H4 and 5. It would be a lot better if the prometheans weren't held together by grav-fields or magnetism or whatever tf the forerunners used to hold the H4-5 prometheans together...
In halo Infinite i wanna know something about the didact.. and the flood!!
Matteo9889 wrote:
In halo Infinite i wanna know something about the didact.. and the flood!!
I mean no offense by asking this, but what else is there to know?

Long post ahead... sort of.

The Didact or Ur-Didact:Born as Shadow-of-Sundered-Star, the Didact would be taught by one of the oldest Forerunners around and eventually he would rise up to be the Protector of the Ecumene. Leading campaigns against those who foolishly challenged Forerunner supremecy, his service eventually led him to combating the Human-San Shyuum Alliance in a war that lasted a thousand years with the Forerunners emerging victorious. During the war, he along with a select few Forerunners learned about the Flood and in preparation for the parasites return. He championed the Shield Worlds against the Builders Halo Array. This debate lasted centuries before he was disgraced and forced into exile until the Forerunner Manipular Bornstellar-Makes-Eternal-Lasting ended his exile. Afterwards he went on a journey with Bornstellar and the humans Chakas and Riser. Eventually it ended in his capture by the Master Builder Faber and after the assault on Maethrillian by Mendicant Bias. Faber abandoned the Didact in a Burn where the stoic defender of the Ecumene would have his mind destroyed by the Didact resulting in the character we see in Halo 4. The Librarian imprisons him after he abandons the Forerunners at the Greater Ark and the rest is history with his physical body being composed in a comic post Halo 4. Not even gonna talk about the Iso-Didact.

The Flood/Parasite/Shaping Sickness/etc:The Flood are essentially the corrupt form the long departed Precursors have chosen to assume after they turned themselves into dust after the long forgotten Forerunner-Precursor War and the passing of millions of years. Originating in Human-San Shyuum space after vessels with this dust were found, the first Flood began by infecting the animal species known as the Pheru. The Human-San Shyuum Alliance would be the first to fight the Flood and this war led to the Human-Forerunner War. During the Human-Forerunner War, the Flood receded from the galaxy as since the Flood are the remains of the Precursors. They intended to test humanity again at a later date and in order to ensure humanities survival. They went along with the Flood "Cure" developed as that would force the Forerunners to spare them and waste time and resources searching for this supposed "Cure" that never existed. Departing the Milky Way, it is implied heavily in Halo Silentium the Flood infected other galaxies before they returned. And the rest is history as the Flood overpowered the Ecumene in the final years by utilizing Precursor structures like Star Roads due to there vast intelligence with the creation of planet sized Graveminds known as Keyminds before the Halo Array fired.

There is little left to know personally in my opinion.

343i certainly did well expanding on the lore behind the Didact and Flood again in my opinion.
l Chaos I wrote:
Matteo9889 wrote:
In halo Infinite i wanna know something about the didact.. and the flood!!
I mean no offense by asking this, but what else is there to know?

Long post ahead... sort of.

The Didact or Ur-Didact:Born as Shadow-of-Sundered-Star, the Didact would be taught by one of the oldest Forerunners around and eventually he would rise up to be the Protector of the Ecumene. Leading campaigns against those who foolishly challenged Forerunner supremecy, his service eventually led him to combating the Human-San Shyuum Alliance in a war that lasted a thousand years with the Forerunners emerging victorious. During the war, he along with a select few Forerunners learned about the Flood and in preparation for the parasites return. He championed the Shield Worlds against the Builders Halo Array. This debate lasted centuries before he was disgraced and forced into exile until the Forerunner Manipular Bornstellar-Makes-Eternal-Lasting ended his exile. Afterwards he went on a journey with Bornstellar and the humans Chakas and Riser. Eventually it ended in his capture by the Master Builder Faber and after the assault on Maethrillian by Mendicant Bias. Faber abandoned the Didact in a Burn where the stoic defender of the Ecumene would have his mind destroyed by the Didact resulting in the character we see in Halo 4. The Librarian imprisons him after he abandons the Forerunners at the Greater Ark and the rest is history with his physical body being composed in a comic post Halo 4. Not even gonna talk about the Iso-Didact.

The Flood/Parasite/Shaping Sickness/etc:The Flood are essentially the corrupt form the long departed Precursors have chosen to assume after they turned themselves into dust after the long forgotten Forerunner-Precursor War and the passing of millions of years. Originating in Human-San Shyuum space after vessels with this dust were found, the first Flood began by infecting the animal species known as the Pheru. The Human-San Shyuum Alliance would be the first to fight the Flood and this war led to the Human-Forerunner War. During the Human-Forerunner War, the Flood receded from the galaxy as since the Flood are the remains of the Precursors. They intended to test humanity again at a later date and in order to ensure humanities survival. They went along with the Flood "Cure" developed as that would force the Forerunners to spare them and waste time and resources searching for this supposed "Cure" that never existed. Departing the Milky Way, it is implied heavily in Halo Silentium the Flood infected other galaxies before they returned. And the rest is history as the Flood overpowered the Ecumene in the final years by utilizing Precursor structures like Star Roads due to there vast intelligence with the creation of planet sized Graveminds known as Keyminds before the Halo Array fired.

There is little left to know personally in my opinion.

343i certainly did well expanding on the lore behind the Didact and Flood again in my opinion.
Not everyone have read the books..
Matteo9889 wrote:
l Chaos I wrote:
Matteo9889 wrote:
In halo Infinite i wanna know something about the didact.. and the flood!!
I mean no offense by asking this, but what else is there to know?

Long post ahead... sort of.

The Didact or Ur-Didact:Born as Shadow-of-Sundered-Star, the Didact would be taught by one of the oldest Forerunners around and eventually he would rise up to be the Protector of the Ecumene. Leading campaigns against those who foolishly challenged Forerunner supremecy, his service eventually led him to combating the Human-San Shyuum Alliance in a war that lasted a thousand years with the Forerunners emerging victorious. During the war, he along with a select few Forerunners learned about the Flood and in preparation for the parasites return. He championed the Shield Worlds against the Builders Halo Array. This debate lasted centuries before he was disgraced and forced into exile until the Forerunner Manipular Bornstellar-Makes-Eternal-Lasting ended his exile. Afterwards he went on a journey with Bornstellar and the humans Chakas and Riser. Eventually it ended in his capture by the Master Builder Faber and after the assault on Maethrillian by Mendicant Bias. Faber abandoned the Didact in a Burn where the stoic defender of the Ecumene would have his mind destroyed by the Didact resulting in the character we see in Halo 4. The Librarian imprisons him after he abandons the Forerunners at the Greater Ark and the rest is history with his physical body being composed in a comic post Halo 4. Not even gonna talk about the Iso-Didact.

The Flood/Parasite/Shaping Sickness/etc:The Flood are essentially the corrupt form the long departed Precursors have chosen to assume after they turned themselves into dust after the long forgotten Forerunner-Precursor War and the passing of millions of years. Originating in Human-San Shyuum space after vessels with this dust were found, the first Flood began by infecting the animal species known as the Pheru. The Human-San Shyuum Alliance would be the first to fight the Flood and this war led to the Human-Forerunner War. During the Human-Forerunner War, the Flood receded from the galaxy as since the Flood are the remains of the Precursors. They intended to test humanity again at a later date and in order to ensure humanities survival. They went along with the Flood "Cure" developed as that would force the Forerunners to spare them and waste time and resources searching for this supposed "Cure" that never existed. Departing the Milky Way, it is implied heavily in Halo Silentium the Flood infected other galaxies before they returned. And the rest is history as the Flood overpowered the Ecumene in the final years by utilizing Precursor structures like Star Roads due to there vast intelligence with the creation of planet sized Graveminds known as Keyminds before the Halo Array fired.

There is little left to know personally in my opinion.

343i certainly did well expanding on the lore behind the Didact and Flood again in my opinion.
Not everyone have read the books..
Fair enough but there is also Halopedia which is a reliable source for anything Halo related a fan may want to know. Don't even need to read the books as I haven't touched them in ages and everything I just posted I got from Halopedia. In regards to your hoping of seeing or learning about the Flood in Halo Infinite. That is very unlikely seeing as how Halo Infinite is supposed to be friendly to new fans of the series and discounting Halo Wars 2 Awakening the Nightmare. The Flood hasn't been seen in story since Halo 3 and as we've seen so far with the Reclaimer Saga. 343i's track record of games needing supporting media to understand what the heck is going on hasn't been the greatest.

Case in point Halo 5 Guardians.
l Chaos I wrote:
343i's track record of games needing supporting media to understand what the heck is going on hasn't been the greatest.

Case in point Halo 5 Guardians.
Halo 5's issues stem very little from outside media. A general whiplash-inducing story change, lack of building characters and poorly introduced new enemy faction are its sole problems.
If the narrative from Halo 4 would have been continued, things could have been much more digestible.
tL Armada wrote:
l Chaos I wrote:
343i's track record of games needing supporting media to understand what the heck is going on hasn't been the greatest.

Case in point Halo 5 Guardians.
If the narrative from Halo 4 would have been continued, things could have been much more digestible.
I most certainly agree that Halo 5's narrative should have followed Halo 4's instead of what we got. I wasn't a fan of how 343i chose to remove the Didact by use of a comic. Instead we got 'Evil Cortana' and 'I'm tired of seeing you Warden Eternal' but I digress. No point crying over old news but a lot of my friends back then were scratching there heads wondering what is up with Halo 5 Guardians new characters: Fireteam Osiris and where the Didact was. They didn't have the time or money to read or buy the comics leaving them confused.