What did Humanity use before slipspace?

Did they use different FTL (faster-than-light) devices or did they use Cryo-pods for long trips?
Humanity used the Shaw Fujikawa lightspeed engine. https://halo.fandom.com/wiki/Shaw-Fujikawa_Translight_Engine.
Which probably used slipspace to a degree, but unbeknownst to them. Cryo was used and still is. Even though "modern" slipspace is pretty awesome, it can still take days/weeks/months depending on the distance.
What did Humanity use before slipspace?

Did they use different FTL (faster-than-light) devices or did they use Cryo-pods for long trips?
In the Halo universe, the only way of circumventing the speed of light is to literally leave the four space-time dimensions of "realspace", and enter 11-dimensional Slipspace, so before the discovery of Slipspace, the only option for interstellar travel would have been in stasis. In fact, even with Slipspace, they still use stasis extensively because the travel can still take months, even circumventing the speed of light. As the technology gets better, the less time in Slipspace is needed, and thus, the less reliance on stasis.
I always imagined they traversed space through colony/sleeper ships. Massive ships full of colonists in deep freeze.
I always imagined they traversed space through colony/sleeper ships. Massive ships full of colonists in deep freeze.
I thought they just go really fast, to the point that they go faster than light.
<p></p>
I thought they just go really fast, to the point that they go faster than light.
<p></p>
I imagine that would actually be even harder than punching a hole into slip space. Just imagine the acceleration required to reach the speed of light using more conventional means. There's an amazing book by Joe Haldeman called "The Forever War". Haldeman is a physicist, so he grounds a lot of his sci-fi in real science and extrapolates the real science into what becomes his fictional science. In that book the ships have to accelerate to near the speed of light and enter collapsars to go faster than the speed of light. The acceleration takes weeks because humans can't handle the G forces to go faster. This doesn't even account for the time dilation effect that comes with travelling at the speed of light. You could experience time subjectively for a few days while you actually spent a decade of objective time. Honestly, it's a great book that has a lot of allusions to the Vietnam War (Haldeman was also a combat veteran during that war) as well as interesting science fiction relating to FTL travel.
MysticKami wrote:
Humanity used the Shaw Fujikawa lightspeed engine. https://halo.fandom.com/wiki/Shaw-Fujikawa_Translight_Engine.Which probably used slipspace to a degree, but unbeknownst to them. Cryo was used and still is. Even though "modern" slipspace is pretty awesome, it can still take days/weeks/months depending on the distance.
That is the slipspace drive