Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo - Time Travel

OP TheDarkSpartan

Since the dawn of time or at least the dawn of the invention of the TV, it has been talked about here and there. What am I talking about you ask? Time travel. It's one of the few subjects that hasn't really been discussed in any of the Halo lore. I only now bring this up because of the future Halo title. Halo Infinite. None of us really know what the Infinite part means. We were given clues here and there and there is speculation about what the new game might be. So let's recap what we know so far:
  • Takes place a few years after Halo 5
  • The universe is backed into a corner because of the created
  • Chiefs armor seems to be his classic armor we saw in Halo CE
  • Chief was found adrift in space(if we are to believe the trailer)
  • Chief is near another Halo ring (if we are to believe the trailer)
  • The original trailer seems more like something we would've seen out of the past (last years trailer at E3)
With all those clues that we have been given (if they are clues), the game seems to be pointing in the time travel direction and why not? The Marvel universe has done it so why not the Halo Universe. We all know that there are more than enough brilliant minds that exist in the Halo Universe that are capable of making Time Travel possible.
I know that this post of mine seems to be thrown together and i'll admit that 4am in the morning it might be but the excitement that time travel could be put into the Halo Universe has my mind all in a spin. think of the responsibilities. What if Infinite refers to an Infinite possibilities of outcomes or as I stated time lines?

What are your constructive thoughts? Is time travel something 343 might attempt? If they did, it sure would keep Halo going the next 30 years like predicted.
Time travel is so difficult to get right. There are just so many variables that make it a pain to keep track of. Even if they do it in an entertaining way, covering all the bases to tie together all threads and satisfy all fans would be... weird. Any time travel will essentially erase existing lore. Not everyone will accept that.

That being said, do they even have the technology? If time travel was possible through Slip Space, surely the Forerunners/Huragok would have figured it out and taken out the flood. And don't you dare tell me that Humanity will figure it out when no other race could.
Well, if you want to get overly technical, there is already a time travel element involved in the lore. Slip Space travel as MysticKami stated above, faster than light (FTL) travel distorts and bends time around the hole being torn in the fabric of space. In Halo lore, this is not discussed deeper, but there is definitely an effect on time.

To go back to your point, I think introducing controlled time travel this deep into the series will not sit well with most of the fan base and is always difficult to get right because it still has a ton of variables.

My vote would be no time travel.
I'm a huge fan of time travel fiction. One of my favorite shows of all time is Continuum. But it really is a tricky subject to get right. When it's done right, it has the potential to be a masterpiece, but if done wrong, it has the potential to be a franchise killing disaster. There's not a whole lot of middle ground between those two extremes, so I really don't want 343 to make a gamble like that with how tedious the franchise is already.

Halo started out as a fairly simple military sci-fi FPS. I don't see any reason to change from that formula. I'm not saying Halo can't evolve. I just don't think that's the right direction in which Halo should evolve.
The last thing this franchise needs is time travel. Not to mention introducing time travel is the mark of a franchise that is creatively broken or they've written themselves into a corner and it's easier to take the lazy way out than deal with the consequences otherwise.

Time travel only works when it is built as a core component of the universe that has been built for it. It has to have a well defined set of rules in order for it to work and make sense. Halo has none of these and it should have none of these, it has enough narrative problems already from people who have no idea what they're doing making all the story decisions.
I have no idea where you got that Mark V from, as the armor is a confirmed product of Mark VI Gen-III.
I also have no idea what's with this time travel stuff you came with. It's just a time skip, nothing more.
As for the title, Infinite is just the name, nothing more. It doesn't have to automatically mean anything, and it much less stands for anything related to time-travel.
I'm a huge fan of time travel fiction. ...

Halo started out as a fairly simple military sci-fi FPS. I don't see any reason to change from that formula. I'm not saying Halo can't evolve. I just don't think that's the right direction in which Halo should evolve.
Look at red vs blue, it was simple in the beginning and then...
Time travel could happen accidentally...
But I think if they do it. They should wait till a few games from now. Because they need to nail this game first.
I'm excited to see where they go with all the lore they've got built up on halo 7 (zeta) and all the rumors we've been hearing about the potential play styles of this game. I could expand...
KRSTice23 wrote:

But I think if they do it. They should wait till a few games from now. Because they need to nail this game first.
I'm excited to see where they go with all the lore they've got built up on halo 7 (zeta) and all the rumors we've been hearing about the potential play styles of this game. I could expand...
Red vs Blue is a generally funny non-canonical take on Halo. And the time travel bit was introduced very early on and made an integral part of the series, at least for a while as far as I recall (haven't watched in a while). I get your point, I'm just saying that RvB pretty much started out with time travel as a part of the foundation of the series while Halo proper has never really delved into the topic at all, aside from the I Love Bees ARG, which is of dubious canonicity. To round this back to my original point, time travel is a great sub section of sci-fi, but Halo has just never really been a part of that sub section. So introducing it so late in the series would be very jarring and potentially damaging to the lore.
KRSTice23 wrote:

Red vs Blue is a generally funny non-canonical take on Halo. And the time travel bit was introduced very early on and made an integral part of the series, at least for a while as far as I recall (haven't watched in a while). I get your point, I'm just saying that RvB pretty much started out with time travel as a part of the foundation of the series while Halo proper has never really delved into the topic at all, aside from the I Love Bees ARG, which is of dubious canonicity. To round this back to my original point, time travel is a great sub section of sci-fi, but Halo has just never really been a part of that sub section. So introducing it so late in the series would be very jarring and potentially damaging to the lore.
Spoiler:
Show
Marvel just barely was able to make time travel work and they still have some inconsistencies. Halo doesn't need a time travel reset except back to the end of Halo 4 to erase Halo 5 lol. I wouldn't say it's trash , it's a good game, just not a good Halo game imo. Wonky story.
The moment time travel is introduced into the Halo Universe is the moment any faith remaining in 343i falls right off the cliff. Time travel is a cop out as the writters put themselves into the hole they found themselves in, without thinking about the bigger picture. The cluster f*ck of the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy is a clear example of the writters and developers not having a clear idea of what they're doing and Halo 4 to Halo 5 is another example regardless of how you felt about the games stories so far. Where's the Didact? Why is Cortana back? What in the heck is up with the Created? Weren't we fighting the Prometheans who were under the control of the Didact? Who in the heck is the Warden Eternal?

These are simple questions asked by fans who aren't versed in the Expanded Universe as you needed to read supporting material just to find out who the Didact was and why he wasn't in Halo 5 Guardians. Anyways now I am getting off track. Time Travel anything is going to break the Halo Universe and it is doubtful 343i is going to be able to pull that off perfectly as once you introduce Time Travel. Questions such as why don't we just Nova Bomb High Charity since we are likely to know where it is by the Battle of Earth in Halo 2 and goodbye Covenant leadership. See where I am going with this? Halo is good as it is right now regardless of its highs and lows and Time Travel is only going to ruin it further IMO.
While time travel has already taken place in the lower by accident once, it should not be used as a main plot point. Controllable time travel does not appear to actually work anyways in the Halo Universe, otherwise you would have the likes of the precursors, forerunners, or flood making use of it. The one time use of it only took the characters back 2 weeks was good enough.
Didn't in First Strike, time travel technically occurred during First Strike? (though iirc by accident, and no "paradoxes" or "time-loops" occurred)

Anyways, tbh, I would prefer it not to occur at least as a main point.
This is how Red Vs Blue becomes Canon.
They have to fix the timeline,
Spoiler:
Show
Time travel was done right in First Strike, in that it did not violate causality. I would not want any time travel more involved than what we have already seen. It tends to break stories really fast ...
Gonna have to agree with the majority here -

My first sci fi love was Star Trek. I do still love Star Trek, don't get me wrong - my wife and I have been binge watching DS9 lately, actually. But once I got into the Halo universe I began to appreciate how much deeper is the storytelling here, and how cheap and overused of a plot device time travel is, in the Star Trek universe. It becomes a get out of jail free card that allows us to undo anything unpopular in the storyline, but further, it also breaks plausibility because of its inconsistent use - we can go back in time to save one person but not another, and we can go back in time to stop this tragedy or that tragedy but we don't choose to go back to 1938 and stop Hitler - who decides when a past event is worthy of altering and when it isn't?? Of course if we DID stop Hitler we would change the entire course of civilization, so there's that variable as well... it just gets too confusing.

With no time travel, death in the Halo universe continues to be final and that is gutsy writing - the fans have to deal with the loss of their favorite characters and come to terms with the fact that they're not coming back just as if it were real.

(Of course then there's Halo 5 Cortana coming back, but not an example of time travel. And hopefully an isolated incident.)