Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo 3 is pointless now.

OP The Real Drone

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I just went back to play the favorite game of my childhood. During the game, I realized how pointless all of it was now.

For those of you who don't understand, I absolutely love Halo. I absolutely loved the classic Halos more than anything. I was a die-hard fanboy. However, after replying the Halo 3 campaign, I realized how pointless it has become.

--- If I make any mistakes or if I am wrong/misinformed about something, please feel free to correct me!

PLOT POINT: Sergeant Johnson's Death
Sergeant Johnson was about to light a Halo ring prematurely. As he was about to do so, 343 guilty spark warns him that doing so would result in the destruction of the Ark. Not caring, Sergeant Johnson goes to activate the ring anyways, as it was a top priority for stopping the flood. (The Ark and this ring were light-years away from Earth and the other colonies, so lighting this ring would not have caused massive devastation.) Infuriated with another human destroying a great forerunner creation, 343 blasts Sergeant Johnson which later kills him. 343 guilty spark is then defeated, and the Master Chief and the Arbiter light the ring anyways.

HOWEVER, in Halo Wars 2, not only do we find out that the Ark is still in tact, but that the flood survived anyways. Sergeant Johnson's death was for nothing. His death was in vain.

PLOT POINT: 343 Guilty Spark's Death
343 Guilty Spark was "killed" by the Master Chief after he got splasered in the eye multiple times. We saw him explode. This was Halo 3's (and the original triology's) final villain and boss fight. After multiple games of switching sides between friend and foe, 343 guilty spark was put down for good, orr so we thought.

IN A COMIC (if I'm not mistaken), 343 guilty spark is found by the UNSC. He then takes control of the UNSC ship that was questioning him about the didact and uses that ship to search for the Librarian. 343 guilty spark is somehow still alive...

PLOT POINT: Rescuing Cortana
Cortana was the faithful companion who we have bonded with over the span years. Witty, determined, and faithful to the Master Chief, Cortana was essential for the to winning the war as she developed a plan to defeat the flood while she was stuck in High Charity.

However, as it turns out, the flood returns in Halo Wars 2, and Cortana decides that she wants to become the next inter-galactic space dictator who attempts to cause mass genocide on a never-before-seen scale. I guess that means that not only did we release the main villain in Halo 4, but we also rescued Halo 5's main antagonist. Way to go chief!

PLOT POINT: Killing Truth
The Arbiter killing the prophet of Truth was one of the most satisfying scenes that I have ever watched, period. However, I would have never smiled at his death if I knew what it would lead to.

Truth's death meant that the covenant would never be the same. The same enemy that we grew up fighting was done for. 343 industries had to introduce a more menacing enemy for their next triology: The prometheans. I apologize, but these prometheans are some of the worst enemies I have ever fought in a video game. Not only are they not fun to shoot at or kill, but they are also enemies that we never fully understand now. In Halo 4, these prometheans are lead by the Didact, an enemy that you kill in Halo 4 that is a frail comparison to that of the prophets, Tartarus, the Gravemind, or any other main antagonist in the Halo franchise. Oh, did I mention that he actually survived the ending of Halo 4? Yeah, but he's dead now. He died in a comic. WHAT?

PLOT POINT: Master Chief being the last hope.
Through all of Halo, I was always under the impression that the Master Chief was the last spartan alive, or at the very least, the last spartan who wasn't missing. As it turns out, Blue Team had been alive and well all this time. What were they doing while the Master Chief was single handedly saving the galaxy? Were they just sitting around for their cameo in Halo 5, or were they being mailmen for the Office of Naval Intelligence?

PLOT POINT: The outcome of the human-covenant war.
Master Chief is a hero, yet hardly anybody respects or trusts him in the future Halo games.

At the end of Halo 3, the Arbiter and the Shipmaster are eager to get back to their home world, proud that their jobs were done and that they made their planet safe. However, when we see them next, the Arbiter is in the middle of a civil-war against other Elites that we know next-to-nothing about, and he's somehow losing!

After the war ended, the humans and the Elites were supposed to have a truce. However, ONI has been attacking Sangheli ships under the guise of jackal mercenaries/pirates. So much for close allies and friends.

In Halo 2, the initial covenant fleet which went to Earth was small because the Covenant did not know that Earth was the humans' home planet. However, according to the books, the Prophet of Truth had recently sent the largest fleet ever seen (even bigger than the one that destroyed Reach) to crush the humans' homeworld that Truth had known about the entire time. The Master Chief and blue team were able to destroy the entire fleet somehow. For whatever reason, this is official lore despite conflicting with Halo 2. This also was never mentioned or brought up in any Halo game. You would think that the Covenant losing their biggest fleet while attacking Earth would be something worth mentioning at least once.

In Halo 2, the prophet of Truth claims "No enemy has ever withstood our might" over the intercoms while the Master Chief is in High Charity. I guess he forgot about the Banished. (This is really funny because Isabell claims that at the height of the covenant's power, they were no match for Atriox, yet one broken, worn-down half of the Spirit of Fire was able to fight on par with them in Halo Wars 2.)

At the end of Halo 3, we destroyed all of the rings and the Ark (apparently the Ark survived) but a ring can be seen at the end of Halo 5 if you played it on Legendary. What was the point of Halo 3 and the original triology!?!?

CONCLUSION
The video games from the original triology have set up some of the best stories and plots that I have ever witnessed. However, many of these plot points and stories either conflict each other, or are ruined by later-added lore. This makes many aspects of the original Halo triology, especially the ones in Halo 3, to be pointless.
If I am wrong about anything, or if I am mistaken, please let me know down below. Also, if I forgot anything, please make sure to add it.
IN A COMIC (if I'm not mistaken), 343 guilty spark is found by the UNSC. He then takes control of the UNSC ship that was questioning him about the didact and uses that ship to search for the Librarian. 343 guilty spark is somehow still alive...
It was a novel by Greg Bear that we find out the fate of Guilty Spark, Silentium if I'm not mistaken
In Halo 4, these prometheans are lead by the Didact, an enemy that you kill in Halo 4 that is a frail comparison to that of the prophets, Tartarus, the Gravemind, or any other main antagonist in the Halo franchise. Oh, did I mention that he actually survived the ending of Halo 4? Yeah, but he's dead now. He died in a comic. WHAT?
The Didact isn't dead, but has been composed
Which may as well be the same thing as being dead, given he's never made another appearance.

Honestl,y OP, it's because 343i doesn't have much in the way of a creative team. They can make very pretty concept art and assets for the game to be based around, but storywise it has just been one trainwreck after another, both in the games in the books. I honestly have just stopped the timeline at the ending of Halo 3 and only count the original Nylund books and Contact Harvest by Joseph Staten as canon. Everything else takes place in some weird alternate reality created by Slipspace weirdness.

That way Halo maintains it's military science fiction with hints of a larger mystery rather than the mess it has turned into now.
Quote:
At the end of Halo 3, we destroyed all of the rings and the Ark (apparently the Ark survived) but a ring can be seen at the end of Halo 5 if you played it on Legendary. What was the point of Halo 3 and the original triology!?!?
In the game Cortana states that the ark was damaged by the pulse,not destroyed.
Also the only ring destroyed at that time was Installation 04 and Installation ,04b,which happend back in CE and Halo3 .Installation 5 was glassed after Halo2 but not destroyed.
So of the seven rings,six remained after the end of Halo3.
I get where you're coming from, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that H3 is pointless, but rather that the meaning of the game has changed. The back and forth of victory and loss is constantly changing in Halo. To address each of your points in order, I'll just do bullet points:
  • Sergeant Johnson's death: his noble sacrifice still accomplished it's goal for the most part. The Gravemind as it existed in the original trilogy "died" and the Flood threat was contained. Without his sacrifice, the Flood would have taken over the galaxy, but they didn't. So it's maybe not as significant of a sacrifice now that the Flood still exist, but it at least dealt a crippling blow to their plans
  • 343 Guilty Spark's death: while he didn't actually die, his death set up a very interesting story told throughout the Forerunner trilogy. If he died, we wouldn't have a first hand account of Forerunner society during its fall. And now that he is still alive, there are plenty of potential new stories that could revolve around him and his new journey
  • Rescuing Cortana: this is one of those points that I actually will fully agree with you on. Saving her ultimately led to her becoming the Skynet of Halo and I wish she just stayed dead after H4. Her becoming evil went further than ruining that story arc from H3 and H4. It also ruined the entire plot of Reach that focused on getting her to the PoA
  • Killing Truth: while in the real world, the main antagonist that took over after the fall of the Covenant was replaced by the Prometheans. In the lore, we have many interesting stories revolving around Covenant splinter factions. One of the coolest of these by far is the Banished. Jul Mdama's Covenant could have been a great replacement, but wasn't handled quite that well imo
  • Master Chief being the last hope: Thanks to some great books like First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, etc, we have stories that revolve around other Spartans and what they were doing while Chief was saving the galaxy. Ghosts of Onyx actually demonstrates how a couple Spartans ended up discovering and defending one of the most significant archaeological finds in all of UNSC history. The guy was lucky in more ways than one. One of which was the fact that he was in the right place at the right time to destroy Installation 04, and stop the activation on 05 and 00. I have no doubt other Spartan-IIs could have been successful in these endeavors as well, but he had the luck to be present to take part in these pivotal moments.
  • Outcome of the Human Covenant War: Well first of all, the Arbiter wasn't actually losing. He was having trouble, but thanks to his UNSC allies, he was completely owning Jul's Covenant on Sangheilios, and actually defeated that faction during the events of H5. Secondly, ONI's gonna ONI, so their secret war against the Arbiter was an inevitability after the war. Thirdly, Truth saying that no one had stood up to the Covenant's might is a predictable response from a politician like him who would refuse to acknowledge a faction like the Banished as a true threat. Fourth, the only rings that were destroyed were 04 and 04b. The rest are still out there and functional as far as we know.
PLOT POINT: Master Chief being the last hope.Through all of Halo, I was always under the impression that the Master Chief was the last spartan alive, or at the very least, the last spartan who wasn't missing. As it turns out, Blue Team had been alive and well all this time. What were they doing while the Master Chief was single handedly saving the galaxy? Were they just sitting around for their cameo in Halo 5, or were they being mailmen for the Office of Naval Intelligence?
Master Chief was never actually the last Spartan, even back when Bungie was making Halo. Eric Nylund (guy who wrote the original Fall of Reach novel) established that Blue Team and a bunch of Spartan-IIIs were on a planet called Onyx during most of the important events that occur in the games. While the original Halo trilogy made it seem like Chief was the last Spartan, the extra lore that was being made alongside the trilogy proved that to be untrue. Master Chief hasn't been the "last Spartan" since Nylund wrote First Strike in 2003. The games just represent a slice of the pie that is the Halo universe.
Chimera30 wrote:
PLOT POINT: Master Chief being the last hope.Through all of Halo, I was always under the impression that the Master Chief was the last spartan alive, or at the very least, the last spartan who wasn't missing. As it turns out, Blue Team had been alive and well all this time. What were they doing while the Master Chief was single handedly saving the galaxy? Were they just sitting around for their cameo in Halo 5, or were they being mailmen for the Office of Naval Intelligence?
Master Chief was never actually the last Spartan, even back when Bungie was making Halo. Eric Nylund (guy who wrote the original Fall of Reach novel) established that Blue Team and a bunch of Spartan-IIIs were on a planet called Onyx during most of the important events that occur in the games. While the original Halo trilogy made it seem like Chief was the last Spartan, the extra lore that was being made alongside the trilogy proved that to be untrue. Master Chief hasn't been the "last Spartan" since Nylund wrote First Strike in 2003. The games just represent a slice of the pie that is the Halo universe.
My point is that the expanded lore, including the new Halos, changed the original trilogy. I still have a huge issue with First Strike and a lot of the other books, as it ruins the legacy of the perfect original trilogy that we have all known to adore and love.
Chimera30 wrote:
PLOT POINT: Master Chief being the last hope.Through all of Halo, I was always under the impression that the Master Chief was the last spartan alive, or at the very least, the last spartan who wasn't missing. As it turns out, Blue Team had been alive and well all this time. What were they doing while the Master Chief was single handedly saving the galaxy? Were they just sitting around for their cameo in Halo 5, or were they being mailmen for the Office of Naval Intelligence?
Master Chief was never actually the last Spartan, even back when Bungie was making Halo. Eric Nylund (guy who wrote the original Fall of Reach novel) established that Blue Team and a bunch of Spartan-IIIs were on a planet called Onyx during most of the important events that occur in the games. While the original Halo trilogy made it seem like Chief was the last Spartan, the extra lore that was being made alongside the trilogy proved that to be untrue. Master Chief hasn't been the "last Spartan" since Nylund wrote First Strike in 2003. The games just represent a slice of the pie that is the Halo universe.
My point is that the expanded lore, including the new Halos, changed the original trilogy. I still have a huge issue with First Strike and a lot of the other books, as it ruins the legacy of the perfect original trilogy that we have all known to adore and love.
But First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx came before Halo 2 and Halo 3, respectively. How could they ruin things that didn't exist yet? Isn't more apt to say that Halo 2 and 3 simply ignored the existing lore by trying to promote Chief as the last Spartan?
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
PLOT POINT: Master Chief being the last hope.Through all of Halo, I was always under the impression that the Master Chief was the last spartan alive, or at the very least, the last spartan who wasn't missing. As it turns out, Blue Team had been alive and well all this time. What were they doing while the Master Chief was single handedly saving the galaxy? Were they just sitting around for their cameo in Halo 5, or were they being mailmen for the Office of Naval Intelligence?
Master Chief was never actually the last Spartan, even back when Bungie was making Halo. Eric Nylund (guy who wrote the original Fall of Reach novel) established that Blue Team and a bunch of Spartan-IIIs were on a planet called Onyx during most of the important events that occur in the games. While the original Halo trilogy made it seem like Chief was the last Spartan, the extra lore that was being made alongside the trilogy proved that to be untrue. Master Chief hasn't been the "last Spartan" since Nylund wrote First Strike in 2003. The games just represent a slice of the pie that is the Halo universe.
My point is that the expanded lore, including the new Halos, changed the original trilogy. I still have a huge issue with First Strike and a lot of the other books, as it ruins the legacy of the perfect original trilogy that we have all known to adore and love.
But First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx came before Halo 2 and Halo 3, respectively. How could they ruin things that didn't exist yet? Isn't more apt to say that Halo 2 and 3 simply ignored the existing lore by trying to promote Chief as the last Spartan?
Hardly anybody reads the books and even if they did, the story telling of First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx still conflicts with the first trilogy of Halo. It doesn't matter which came out first, Halo's main objective was to be a good video game. In order to be a good video game, it needed to conflict with the stories told in the books, because the stories in the books weren't good enough for Halo. Why they are still considered to be official lore confuses me because the books only help to drag down the feeling and theme of the original trilogy that we all know and love.
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
PLOT POINT: Master Chief being the last hope.Through all of Halo, I was always under the impression that the Master Chief was the last spartan alive, or at the very least, the last spartan who wasn't missing. As it turns out, Blue Team had been alive and well all this time. What were they doing while the Master Chief was single handedly saving the galaxy? Were they just sitting around for their cameo in Halo 5, or were they being mailmen for the Office of Naval Intelligence?
Master Chief was never actually the last Spartan, even back when Bungie was making Halo. Eric Nylund (guy who wrote the original Fall of Reach novel) established that Blue Team and a bunch of Spartan-IIIs were on a planet called Onyx during most of the important events that occur in the games. While the original Halo trilogy made it seem like Chief was the last Spartan, the extra lore that was being made alongside the trilogy proved that to be untrue. Master Chief hasn't been the "last Spartan" since Nylund wrote First Strike in 2003. The games just represent a slice of the pie that is the Halo universe.
My point is that the expanded lore, including the new Halos, changed the original trilogy. I still have a huge issue with First Strike and a lot of the other books, as it ruins the legacy of the perfect original trilogy that we have all known to adore and love.
But First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx came before Halo 2 and Halo 3, respectively. How could they ruin things that didn't exist yet? Isn't more apt to say that Halo 2 and 3 simply ignored the existing lore by trying to promote Chief as the last Spartan?
Hardly anybody reads the books and even if they did, the story telling of First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx still conflicts with the first trilogy of Halo. It doesn't matter which came out first, Halo's main objective was to be a good video game. In order to be a good video game, it needed to conflict with the stories told in the books, because the stories in the books weren't good enough for Halo. Why they are still considered to be official lore confuses me because the books only help to drag down the feeling and theme of the original trilogy that we all know and love.
With all due respect, please speak for yourself & don't voice an opinion about something you pretty obviously
didn't invest much time in. I've been around since CE days and the novels and the expanded lore added
to my enjoyment of the Halo games in a very big way, so no, you are incredibly wrong by stating such non-sense.
The books are great additions to the games, some of them are very enjoyable to read for many man many fans
and it is pity you aren't able to see what those me people & me see in those books.
Halo 3 doesn't even imply the Halo rings were destroyed, and states that the Ark was only damaged. You have a point about Cortana and 343 Guilty Spark magicking back to life, everything else doesn't make sense.

You want to know why the events of the first 4 Halo books are barely mentioned in the games? Because Bungie didn't care about them, and wanted to do their own thing. Okay I guess they're right on that, but no questions on how Johnson made it back to Earth after CE? Even though it's explained in a book? Nothing on why Master Chief arrives on Earth after Arby and co. are there, despite Chief getting a head start? Even though it's explained in a comic (somewhat)? You don't need to read them to understand the overall story, and you can argue those points don't matter, but there's barely any conflict other than Master Chief having a stronger personality. The only thing that gets "ruined" is Blue Team existing, and the books make sure to write them out so Chief is solo in the games until 5.

If you're going to cite stuff not from the games, then make it so that you fully know what you're talking about. These half-facts confuse you because the other half wasn't told to you by whatever comment or video you watched.. Truth was keeping things a secret from Regret, including the large fleet. Why does no one else mention it in the game? Because it doesn't matter much to the game story (as Bungie does with nearly all novel plot points, for the better), and "it's classified Gunns".
If you think Halo 3 was pointless, then you clearly just haven't a great grasp of plot, or how events lead to other events.

The point of Halo 3 wasn't to kill 343, save Johnson, Kill Truth, or any other odd point you are attempting to make.

The point of Halo 3 was to stop the extinction of humanity and the rest of the galaxy.... and we (117) accomplished that. You are for whatever reason getting hung up on minor events that occurred along the way to that endpoint.
I completely agree with the point about the Sangheili alliance, it never made sense to me that the UNSC would work so hard to keep the Elites stuck technologically.... on the other hand I could see humanity doing something of that nature (Post WWI Germany).

However, I do disagree with your assessment of the Nylund books. Nylund tried to explain plot holes left in the games (how Sgt Johnson survived Flood infestation and escaped installation 4, how the Master Chief became a Spartan, why Cpt Keyes was an important character, where the other Spartans were during the events of the main games, etc). Nylund still made the Master Chief the “one hope” for humanity, he just made 117’s character more relatable to me.

Bungie used some ideas from his books (ie Spartan IIIs), but made Halo games pretty separate from the books. I feel one of the main differences between 343 and Bungie is how they treat the lore from the books (343 has made everything cannon, Bungie mostly used the books to exposit events not in the games).

That being said I can see your side of the argument that Halo 3 is moot now, but we can only guess what Bungie would have done had they stayed on for this trilogy.
I just went back to play the favorite game of my childhood. During the game, I realized how pointless all of it was now.For those of you who don't understand, I absolutely love Halo. I absolutely loved the classic Halos more than anything. I was a die-hard fanboy. However, after replying the Halo 3 campaign, I realized how pointless it has become.

--- If I make any mistakes or if I am wrong/misinformed about something, please feel free to correct me!

PLOT POINT: Sergeant Johnson's DeathSergeant Johnson was about to light a Halo ring prematurely. As he was about to do so, 343 guilty spark warns him that doing so would result in the destruction of the Ark. Not caring, Sergeant Johnson goes to activate the ring anyways, as it was a top priority for stopping the flood. (The Ark and this ring were light-years away from Earth and the other colonies, so lighting this ring would not have caused massive devastation.) Infuriated with another human destroying a great forerunner creation, 343 blasts Sergeant Johnson which later kills him. 343 guilty spark is then defeated, and the Master Chief and the Arbiter light the ring anyways.

HOWEVER, in Halo Wars 2, not only do we find out that the Ark is still in tact, but that the flood survived anyways. Sergeant Johnson's death was for nothing. His death was in vain.

PLOT POINT: 343 Guilty Spark's Death343 Guilty Spark was "killed" by the Master Chief after he got splasered in the eye multiple times. We saw him explode. This was Halo 3's (and the original triology's) final villain and boss fight. After multiple games of switching sides between friend and foe, 343 guilty spark was put down for good, orr so we thought.

IN A COMIC (if I'm not mistaken), 343 guilty spark is found by the UNSC. He then takes control of the UNSC ship that was questioning him about the didact and uses that ship to search for the Librarian. 343 guilty spark is somehow still alive...

PLOT POINT: Rescuing CortanaCortana was the faithful companion who we have bonded with over the span years. Witty, determined, and faithful to the Master Chief, Cortana was essential for the to winning the war as she developed a plan to defeat the flood while she was stuck in High Charity.

However, as it turns out, the flood returns in Halo Wars 2, and Cortana decides that she wants to become the next inter-galactic space dictator who attempts to cause mass genocide on a never-before-seen scale. I guess that means that not only did we release the main villain in Halo 4, but we also rescued Halo 5's main antagonist. Way to go chief!

PLOT POINT: Killing TruthThe Arbiter killing the prophet of Truth was one of the most satisfying scenes that I have ever watched, period. However, I would have never smiled at his death if I knew what it would lead to.

Truth's death meant that the covenant would never be the same. The same enemy that we grew up fighting was done for. 343 industries had to introduce a more menacing enemy for their next triology: The prometheans. I apologize, but these prometheans are some of the worst enemies I have ever fought in a video game. Not only are they not fun to shoot at or kill, but they are also enemies that we never fully understand now. In Halo 4, these prometheans are lead by the Didact, an enemy that you kill in Halo 4 that is a frail comparison to that of the prophets, Tartarus, the Gravemind, or any other main antagonist in the Halo franchise. Oh, did I mention that he actually survived the ending of Halo 4? Yeah, but he's dead now. He died in a comic. WHAT?

PLOT POINT: Master Chief being the last hope.Through all of Halo, I was always under the impression that the Master Chief was the last spartan alive, or at the very least, the last spartan who wasn't missing. As it turns out, Blue Team had been alive and well all this time. What were they doing while the Master Chief was single handedly saving the galaxy? Were they just sitting around for their cameo in Halo 5, or were they being mailmen for the Office of Naval Intelligence?

PLOT POINT: The outcome of the human-covenant war.Master Chief is a hero, yet hardly anybody respects or trusts him in the future Halo games.

At the end of Halo 3, the Arbiter and the Shipmaster are eager to get back to their home world, proud that their jobs were done and that they made their planet safe. However, when we see them next, the Arbiter is in the middle of a civil-war against other Elites that we know next-to-nothing about, and he's somehow losing!

After the war ended, the humans and the Elites were supposed to have a truce. However, ONI has been attacking Sangheli ships under the guise of jackal mercenaries/pirates. So much for close allies and friends.

In Halo 2, the initial covenant fleet which went to Earth was small because the Covenant did not know that Earth was the humans' home planet. However, according to the books, the Prophet of Truth had recently sent the largest fleet ever seen (even bigger than the one that destroyed Reach) to crush the humans' homeworld that Truth had known about the entire time. The Master Chief and blue team were able to destroy the entire fleet somehow. For whatever reason, this is official lore despite conflicting with Halo 2. This also was never mentioned or brought up in any Halo game. You would think that the Covenant losing their biggest fleet while attacking Earth would be something worth mentioning at least once.

In Halo 2, the prophet of Truth claims "No enemy has ever withstood our might" over the intercoms while the Master Chief is in High Charity. I guess he forgot about the Banished. (This is really funny because Isabell claims that at the height of the covenant's power, they were no match for Atriox, yet one broken, worn-down half of the Spirit of Fire was able to fight on par with them in Halo Wars 2.)

At the end of Halo 3, we destroyed all of the rings and the Ark (apparently the Ark survived) but a ring can be seen at the end of Halo 5 if you played it on Legendary. What was the point of Halo 3 and the original triology!?!?

CONCLUSIONThe video games from the original triology have set up some of the best stories and plots that I have ever witnessed. However, many of these plot points and stories either conflict each other, or are ruined by later-added lore. This makes many aspects of the original Halo triology, especially the ones in Halo 3, to be pointless.
If I am wrong about anything, or if I am mistaken, please let me know down below. Also, if I forgot anything, please make sure to add it.
When it comes to Cortana and guilty spark I agree,however the ending of halo 3 has chief and Cortana floating towards a forerunner planet.Even if you think the story shouldve ended or none of it matters now bungie had something else planned regardless
Counterpoints:
PLOT POINT: Sergeant Johnson's Death
By lighting the ring prematurely, Master Chief took down the Gravemind and most of the Flood, so it could be contained by the Ark afterwards, which wouldn't have been the case if the Flood had taken the Halo, preventing it from firing at all. And the survival of Flood isn't a problem because we knew from the beginning that it was a misfire (a proper firing of the Halo that would have wiped out the Flood, would not have damaged the Ark).

PLOT POINT: 343 Guilty Spark's Death
We knew pretty early on that Guilty Spark survived. It's a testament to how durable Forerunner technology really is.

.PLOT POINT: Rescuing Cortana
Cortana saves Chief, but her experiences have damaged her, and she lives beyond the operational lifespan of a UNSC Smart AI. She fragments herself to defeat the Didact, saving one last shard to protect Master Chief, and when it's all over that shard containing her humanity dies. But the rest of her fragments found their way to the Domain and reformed into a version of Cortana without the core values that made us love her. Without that humanity, she succumbs to the logic plague that was planted in her long before.

PLOT POINT: Killing Truth
Killing Truth rebalanced power in the galaxy. The Covenant splintered and ceased to be a galactic threat. That's not wasted, regardless if you like the new villains or not.

PLOT POINT: Master Chief being the last hope.
Master Chief was the ONLY person at the events of the Halos and the Ark that could do what he did. He was the only hope... and because he succeeded, humanity was able to rebuild, and start over. And eventually the other Spartans completed their tasks and returned, but their tasks were for a war effort, and didn't have the grim finality of victory or the death of everything that Master Chief's mission had. That's not making what he did in Halo 3 irrelevant.

PLOT POINT: The outcome of the human-covenant war.
The aliens and UNSC are like real people... they don't all think and do the same thing. Some abide by treaties, while others are backstabbers who'll do anything for an advantage. Civil wars and betrayals doesn't diminish the end of Halo 3, it just makes the world more believable than it would be if everyone who spent decades killing each other suddenly played nice.

CONCLUSION
Each game has its ups and downs, but on the whole, the continuation of the Halo story was handled well.
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
PLOT POINT: Master Chief being the last hope.Through all of Halo, I was always under the impression that the Master Chief was the last spartan alive, or at the very least, the last spartan who wasn't missing. As it turns out, Blue Team had been alive and well all this time. What were they doing while the Master Chief was single handedly saving the galaxy? Were they just sitting around for their cameo in Halo 5, or were they being mailmen for the Office of Naval Intelligence?
Master Chief was never actually the last Spartan, even back when Bungie was making Halo. Eric Nylund (guy who wrote the original Fall of Reach novel) established that Blue Team and a bunch of Spartan-IIIs were on a planet called Onyx during most of the important events that occur in the games. While the original Halo trilogy made it seem like Chief was the last Spartan, the extra lore that was being made alongside the trilogy proved that to be untrue. Master Chief hasn't been the "last Spartan" since Nylund wrote First Strike in 2003. The games just represent a slice of the pie that is the Halo universe.
Hardly anybody reads the books and even if they did, the story telling of First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx still conflicts with the first trilogy of Halo. It doesn't matter which came out first, Halo's main objective was to be a good video game. In order to be a good video game, it needed to conflict with the stories told in the books, because the stories in the books weren't good enough for Halo. Why they are still considered to be official lore confuses me because the books only help to drag down the feeling and theme of the original trilogy that we all know and love.
Aaaaaannnd you've officially lost me. Your points are now moot and I now feel free to ignore you.
It is rather foolish to believe a 10,000km in diameter Halo Installation would have been capable of successfully destroying Installation 00 which has a diameter of 127,530km or 79,243 miles. Installation 00 was heavily damaged however and that can't be denied but the UNSC was able to successfully repair it using the Retriever Sentinels and resource rich planets that were left untouched in the galaxy by Halo Wars 2.

Do you know how situational it would have had to been for Installation 08/04c to have successfully destroyed the Lesser Ark. It was unlikely seeing as how being able to successfully destroy Installion 00. It would need to be split in half and the chance of that happening when you compare the size of one Halo Installation to the Lesser Ark and you can see the damage exaggerated.
JNDreher wrote:
Counterpoints:
PLOT POINT: Sergeant Johnson's DeathBy lighting the ring prematurely, Master Chief took down the Gravemind and most of the Flood, so it could be contained by the Ark afterwards, which wouldn't have been the case if the Flood had taken the Halo, preventing it from firing at all. And the survival of Flood isn't a problem because we knew from the beginning that it was a misfire (a proper firing of the Halo that would have wiped out the Flood, would not have damaged the Ark).

PLOT POINT: 343 Guilty Spark's DeathWe knew pretty early on that Guilty Spark survived. It's a testament to how durable Forerunner technology really is.

.PLOT POINT: Rescuing CortanaCortana saves Chief, but her experiences have damaged her, and she lives beyond the operational lifespan of a UNSC Smart AI. She fragments herself to defeat the Didact, saving one last shard to protect Master Chief, and when it's all over that shard containing her humanity dies. But the rest of her fragments found their way to the Domain and reformed into a version of Cortana without the core values that made us love her. Without that humanity, she succumbs to the logic plague that was planted in her long before.

PLOT POINT: Killing TruthKilling Truth rebalanced power in the galaxy. The Covenant splintered and ceased to be a galactic threat. That's not wasted, regardless if you like the new villains or not.

PLOT POINT: Master Chief being the last hope.Master Chief was the ONLY person at the events of the Halos and the Ark that could do what he did. He was the only hope... and because he succeeded, humanity was able to rebuild, and start over. And eventually the other Spartans completed their tasks and returned, but their tasks were for a war effort, and didn't have the grim finality of victory or the death of everything that Master Chief's mission had. That's not making what he did in Halo 3 irrelevant.

PLOT POINT: The outcome of the human-covenant war.The aliens and UNSC are like real people... they don't all think and do the same thing. Some abide by treaties, while others are backstabbers who'll do anything for an advantage. Civil wars and betrayals doesn't diminish the end of Halo 3, it just makes the world more believable than it would be if everyone who spent decades killing each other suddenly played nice.

CONCLUSIONEach game has its ups and downs, but on the whole, the continuation of the Halo story was handled well.
Guilty spark being Alive wasnt addressed until a book that came out years later
Chimera30 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
PLOT POINT: Master Chief being the last hope.Through all of Halo, I was always under the impression that the Master Chief was the last spartan alive, or at the very least, the last spartan who wasn't missing. As it turns out, Blue Team had been alive and well all this time. What were they doing while the Master Chief was single handedly saving the galaxy? Were they just sitting around for their cameo in Halo 5, or were they being mailmen for the Office of Naval Intelligence?
Master Chief was never actually the last Spartan, even back when Bungie was making Halo. Eric Nylund (guy who wrote the original Fall of Reach novel) established that Blue Team and a bunch of Spartan-IIIs were on a planet called Onyx during most of the important events that occur in the games. While the original Halo trilogy made it seem like Chief was the last Spartan, the extra lore that was being made alongside the trilogy proved that to be untrue. Master Chief hasn't been the "last Spartan" since Nylund wrote First Strike in 2003. The games just represent a slice of the pie that is the Halo universe.
Hardly anybody reads the books and even if they did, the story telling of First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx still conflicts with the first trilogy of Halo. It doesn't matter which came out first, Halo's main objective was to be a good video game. In order to be a good video game, it needed to conflict with the stories told in the books, because the stories in the books weren't good enough for Halo. Why they are still considered to be official lore confuses me because the books only help to drag down the feeling and theme of the original trilogy that we all know and love.
Aaaaaannnd you've officially lost me. Your points are now moot and I now feel free to ignore you.
I know right? Just because he's too lazy to read the lore, he assumes everyone else doesn't as well. What an ignorant and selfish way of thinking.
I wouldn't call Halo 3 pointless. If you read all the novels, comics, and other pieces of lore then in my opinion, this post wouldn't exist. I do see your point being that it seems that the games are your only source of information. Had a person only played the games then your point might be valid. Halo 3 in my opinion was epic. It's one of the few games that when i have time I actually don't mind popping into my Xbox and playing off line. The Campaign was solid. It gave us all an idea of what would happen if a genocidal race would ever attack Earth. Would we band together and fight or just roll over. The game, comics, and novels show all of the fight humanity would put into survival. Overall i'd say your post was a good one. So good job and remember that everyone has an opinion.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4