Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Halo 3 ODST's Rookie

OP SaviorNight

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
What happened to him after the game? I hear that he ended up dead. Please tell me it isn't true.
Halo: New Blood tells you what happened to the Rookie. Info is out there if you want to look it up or you can give it a read (haven't read it myself but I hear good things)
Spoiler:
Show
He died.

Basically the whole ODST squad with Buck and Romeo etc seperated.
Im afraid it is true.
Dead. Operation against rebels went bad, he got captured and shot in the head.
It is true he died, but the new book that’s coming out is reforming alpha 9 (what’s left of it) for some ONI operations! It also looks like Romeo and Mickey are becoming SIVs too, exciting stuff.
stckrboy wrote:
Halo: New Blood tells you what happened to the Rookie. Info is out there if you want to look it up or you can give it a read (haven't read it myself but I hear good things)
To me, New Blood should be non-canon.
RC Aurum wrote:
It is true he died, but the new book that’s coming out is reforming alpha 9 (what’s left of it) for some ONI operations! It also looks like Romeo and Mickey are becoming SIVs too, exciting stuff.
You really should read new blood. If you did then you would know they already are SIVs.
smasher555 wrote:
RC Aurum wrote:
You really should read new blood. If you did then you would know they already are SIVs.
No you’re right that’s my bad, I did read it but I got hyped up on the image of them in mjonir Hell jumper armour.
Sadly he was executed.
I’m still mad about this, they need to retcon that crappy book. Why kill of fantastic characters from a great game in a crappy 300 page book. And then you refuse to kill any of the crappy new characters you’ve introduced in halo 4 and 5. I want them to retcon this garbage and kill off Palmer, Osiris (minus buck) and actually make good halo games
Guys, the first two responses didn’t reveal spoilers openly for a reason. Just saying.
I’m still mad about this, they need to retcon that crappy book. Why kill of fantastic characters from a great game in a crappy 300 page book. And then you refuse to kill any of the crappy new characters you’ve introduced in halo 4 and 5. I want them to retcon this garbage and kill off Palmer, Osiris (minus buck) and actually make good halo games
I agree. One of the main reasons I can never trust 343
What fantastic character? The rookie says no words and has no personality.They didn't even make a name up for him in the lore.His initials were j and d,also known as John doe
What fantastic character? The rookie says no words and has no personality.They didn't even make a name up for him in the lore.His initials were j and d,also known as John doe
Characters don't have to talk and have personality to be awesome. Silent protagonists are great.
Characters don't have to talk and have personality to be awesome. Silent protagonists are great.
What development could they have done with him without changing that though? Even Lucy in the books talked sooner or later, but writing interactions with her beforehand was likely difficult due to her mutism. And the Master Chief himself got MUCH more of a personality and development in Halo 4 through his conversations with Cortana, which for a lot of players, was a welcome change to see.
But Lucy and John already had established names and fairly developed backgrounds. The Rookie was so anonymous in comparison, that he was, at best, one step down from a self-insert (which we basically got again with Noble Six, but they at least had a voice. Their background, however, was all ONI'd out.), and that self-insert appeal is, in my opinion, the main reason they're liked as characters by a lot of people. At that point, there is no personality or even much history you can give a character that is interpreted differently by every individual player that would fit the bill.
I honestly feel like from a writer's perspective, Rookie had been written into a very dark corner, and there wasn't much left they could realistically do with him.
As much as it's sad for fans, the two self-insert characters very likely quickly disappeared from view for a reason.
What development could they have done with him without changing that though? Even Lucy in the books talked sooner or later, but writing interactions with her beforehand was likely difficult due to her mutism. And the Master Chief himself got MUCH more of a personality and development in Halo 4 through his conversations with Cortana, which for a lot of players, was a welcome change to see.
But Lucy and John already had established names and fairly developed backgrounds. The Rookie was so anonymous in comparison, that he was, at best, one step down from a self-insert (which we basically got again with Noble Six, but they at least had a voice. Their background, however, was all ONI'd out.), and that self-insert appeal is, in my opinion, the main reason they're liked as characters by a lot of people. At that point, there is no personality or even much history you can give a character that is interpreted differently by every individual player that would fit the bill.
I honestly feel like from a writer's perspective, Rookie had been written into a very dark corner, and there wasn't much left they could realistically do with him.
As much as it's sad for fans, the two self-insert characters very likely quickly disappeared from view for a reason.
Rookie was a vessel - a vehicle for the story. He really served no purpose other than this. Having no voice and no history enabled him to become a character vessel for both story and player, in a way the Chief never could. You play the Chief as the Chief - knowing nothing about the Rookie meant you could play the Rookie more as yourself.
Once this purpose was served, killing him off was pretty natural.
is this the krusty krab? (P.S. R.I.P. Rookie)
:/ makes me sad to know he dies later in the series. He was such beast!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3