Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo 4 Pelican with its unnecessary Spartan Laser

OP CateredEagle

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
A month ago I replayed Halo 4 and on the Shutdown level, I just thought about why 343 equipedd Pelican with Laser?
Why they didn't let the rocket on it like in the previous games? In my opinion it doesn't make any sense. The laser is much slower than rockets, and likely doesn't hit as big as the rockets.
Is 343 didn't have any idea what kind of nonsense new design should they do so they made a Pelican with Spartan Laser?
What do you think?
What do you mean laser is much slower than rockets? Laser literally travels at speed of light. The Spartan Laser on the Pelican is an amped up variant able to destroy a Phantom in 2 hits over salvos of rockets. Though I agree that Pelican gunship should have missile pods as secondary armament. I personally have been a fan of Spartan Laser and nerdgasmed when I found out aircraft-mounted Spartan Laser existed in Halo Universe.
Its hard cuz I kinda like it but rocket r.better
It isn't the first aircraft to have a spartan laser on it, the sparrow hawk also had one in fact spartan lasers first started on aircraft's.
Also a weapon that melts armor and slices through ships is what I'd call the polar opposite of a unnecessary weapon and what in the world made you think a laser travels slower than rockets?!
What do you mean laser is much slower than rockets? Laser literally travels at speed of light. The Spartan Laser on the Pelican is an amped up variant able to destroy a Phantom in 2 hits over salvos of rockets. Though I agree that Pelican gunship should have missile pods as secondary armament. I personally have been a fan of Spartan Laser and nerdgasmed when I found out aircraft-mounted Spartan Laser existed in Halo Universe.
It isn't the first aircraft to have a spartan laser on it, the sparrow hawk also had one in fact spartan lasers first started on aircraft's.
Also a weapon that melts armor and slices through ships is what I'd call the polar opposite of a unnecessary weapon and what in the world made you think a laser travels slower than rockets?!
I meant to say until the laser cool down and heat up again/charging to shoot.
I just hate the new design in general, also heard it would really actually work in the real world. As for the laser, I would rather have the rockets but I dont really despise having the laser on there because Sparrowhawks used a blue version. If anything, it would have been cool to see the Halo 4 pelican with a blue laser, cuz why not. But still Rockets > Lazer
What do you mean laser is much slower than rockets?Laser literally travels at speed of light. The Spartan Laser on the Pelican is an amped up variant able to destroy a Phantom in 2 hits over salvos of rockets. Though I agree that Pelican gunship should have missile pods as secondary armament. I personally have been a fan of Spartan Laser and nerdgasmed when I found out aircraft-mounted Spartan Laser existed in Halo Universe.
But the pay off is as a Gunship it can stay on Station until it hits bingo fuel because its a laser. It doesn't have ammunition
Missiles have their own reload, limited amunition issues, travel time which lets enemies evade, and if the covenant were smart they'd have chaff and other means to counter them.

They technically have different roles, the laser's a better anti-vehicle weapon, while the missiles are better for smoking out infantry or just bombarding fortifications.
HueyPato wrote:
I just hate the new design in general, also heard it would really actually work in the real world. As for the laser, I would rather have the rockets but I dont really despise having the laser on there because Sparrowhawks used a blue version. If anything, it would have been cool to see the Halo 4 pelican with a blue laser, cuz why not. But still Rockets > Lazer
just ignore this I am wrong
A month ago I replayed Halo 4 and on the Shutdown level, I just thought about why 343 equipedd Pelican with Laser?
Why they didn't let the rocket on it like in the previous games? In my opinion it doesn't make any sense. The laser is much slower than rockets, and likely doesn't hit as big as the rockets.
Is 343 didn't have any idea what kind of nonsense new design should they do so they made a Pelican with Spartan Laser?
What do you think?
I'm fairly sure the Laser hits harder than rockets. Gameplay wise it's a one shot unless you get a poor hit.
I like the spartan laser, but i feel like the pelican should have had rockets. Its probably a different variant because lasky said its equipped for full combat pursuit rather than combat drop or cargo drop off.
What do you mean laser is much slower than rockets?Laser literally travels at speed of light. The Spartan Laser on the Pelican is an amped up variant able to destroy a Phantom in 2 hits over salvos of rockets. Though I agree that Pelican gunship should have missile pods as secondary armament. I personally have been a fan of Spartan Laser and nerdgasmed when I found out aircraft-mounted Spartan Laser existed in Halo Universe.
also where the cool down and charge times are its limiting factor Rockets have the drawback of they can only be attached to the Pelican's wings (as seen in Halo 2 and 3) which means that once they run out of their initial salvo they are back to square one and if they were nose mounted (which is very impractical) they'd still have a long load time as the automated system has to replace every single lost shell and in the long run the charge and cool down time on the Laser would be quicker than the Auto-loading of a rocket salvo.
I like the spartan laser, but i feel like the pelican should have had rockets. Its probably a different variant because lasky said its equipped for full combat pursuit rather than combat drop or cargo drop off.
The pelican we pilot in halo 4 is a up armored gunship, not the normal d79 pelican troop carrier
Missiles have their own reload, limited amunition issues, travel time which lets enemies evade, and if the covenant were smart they'd have chaff and other means to counter them.
They technically have different roles, the laser's a better anti-vehicle weapon, while the missiles are better for smoking out infantry or just bombarding fortifications.
You could also use them for hitting targets over the horizon or otherwise not in LoS. Laser is objectively better for wrecking heavy stuff but is strictly direct-fire. A Pelican gunship really should have both.
Imagine what it could do to a bunch of infantry on the ground.
Infinite ammo (thanks to the Pelicans reactor), no range drop off, no chance of getting shaken by countermeasures...point. Shoot. Enemy is dead.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Its also harder to stop a laser. You could have anti rocket defences but you cant shoot down a laser.
JOLTLORD wrote:
Its also harder to stop a laser. You could have anti rocket defences but you cant shoot down a laser.
Only defense against a laser is either a massive slab of armor, or energy barriers.

Though one must state that the G79H's laser system does not automatically invalidate missile-based weapon systems, as the laser is direct-fire/LOS only. Missiles are still necessary for indirect fire, which comes in handy when there's an Insurrectionist/Covenant anti-air emplacement in the operational area that would otherwise gank your gunship (and every other [non-capital?] friendly air asset that stumbles into its killing field), or, as stated before, engaging targets that are in cover.
me too.
Laser is much more effective than missiles, it makes sense that if they could, the UNSC would slap a laser on that baby.
JOLTLORD wrote:
Only defense against a laser is either a massive slab of armor, or energy barriers.

Though one must state that the G79H's laser system does not automatically invalidate missile-based weapon systems, as the laser is direct-fire/LOS only. Missiles are still necessary for indirect fire, which comes in handy when there's an Insurrectionist/Covenant anti-air emplacement in the operational area that would otherwise gank your gunship (and every other [non-capital?] friendly air asset that stumbles into its killing field), or, as stated before, engaging targets that are in cover.
well there is a variant for that as well but yes it should have both
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2