Halo 5 Campaign *Worst Game* (Spoiler)

OP I Be Quazi

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I get the impression that a lot of the hate for this campaign comes from a lack of knowledge of the extended universe. No rewards for completing certain tasks or how the advertising campaign went are one thing, but I am seeing the vast majority (note: Vast majority =\= all) of people hating on things that "came from nowhere" or were "shoehorned in." This really is not the case.

I was not expecting the events of this campaign to unfold in the fashion they did. That being said, I rather enjoyed being taken by surprise rather than being able to predict the entire plot. I still enjoyed the campaign and a lot of the outside media like "Saints Testimony" have been bringing forward the idea of AI's being living things that have their own desires and goals. This campaign built a house on the foundation that was already set for it. Not to mention other media like the Forerunner Saga was possibly foreshadowing the fact that Cortana could have fallen prey to the Logic Plague, just like Mendicant Bias.

I get that people are mad that they have to pick up a book or something, and I'm sorry that you do not wish to take the time to learn about this amazing franchise, but just because all you want to do is pick up a controller and shoot aliens expecting a grand story that should be completely independent from the outside media doesn't mean you are correct. I rather like that everything ties in together and am more than happy to pay attention to the details and give it the time it deserves. hr story I have grown with over the past 14 years should not suffer just to cater to people that are only interested in one aspect of it. If you don't care enough to take the time to educate yourself on the whole picture, don't be shocked that you don't know what's going on.
HMBravo wrote:
I get the impression that a lot of the hate for this campaign comes from a lack of knowledge of the extended universe. No rewards for completing certain tasks or how the advertising campaign went are one thing, but I am seeing the vast majority (note: Vast majority =\= all) of people hating on things that "came from nowhere" or were "shoehorned in." This really is not the case.

I was not expecting the events of this campaign to unfold in the fashion they did. That being said, I rather enjoyed being taken by surprise rather than being able to predict the entire plot. I still enjoyed the campaign and a lot of the outside media like "Saints Testimony" have been bringing forward the idea of AI's being living things that have their own desires and goals. This campaign built a house on the foundation that was already set for it. Not to mention other media like the Forerunner Saga was possibly foreshadowing the fact that Cortana could have fallen prey to the Logic Plague, just like Mendicant Bias.

I get that people are mad that they have to pick up a book or something, and I'm sorry that you do not wish to take the time to learn about this amazing franchise, but just because all you want to do is pick up a controller and shoot aliens expecting a grand story that should be completely independent from the outside media doesn't mean you are correct. I rather like that everything ties in together and am more than happy to pay attention to the details and give it the time it deserves. hr story I have grown with over the past 14 years should not suffer just to cater to people that are only interested in one aspect of it. If you don't care enough to take the time to educate yourself on the whole picture, don't be shocked that you don't know what's going on.
Wow, this be deep! You have a very valid point- It's a campaign that we COULD NOT predict, and I did enjoy that! I was really surprised that things happened the way they did. I totally expected "Locke saves Halsey, introduced to Osiris and then Blue team. Hunt Blue. Blue vs Osiris. Team up against Guardians, save the galaxy. Tease Cortana's alive."

But that didn't happen, and honestly if it did... I guess I would be... accomplished? This campaign surprised me, but I did not feel "Accomplished" in finishing it (On Heroic, mind you, I will play Legendary for fun in a few days). But after hearing that Legendary doesn't unlock any armor or something like all the old games have, I'm a little shocked.

I'll end my comment on this note. The story was something nobody saw coming (And if you did, then you must really be a prophet for guessing this plot twist), and for some reason I can't stop thinking about playing the campaign all over again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a blast! Regardless of what actually unfolded in the story. :D
Im going to start by saying ive never actually complained online about a game until i bought halo 5 guardians. The closest i've been this upset about a game was gears of war 2. I dont even care if anyone reads this because i really want to put my thoughts down.

This was huge disappointment. I wasn't even planning on buying the game. But when the release date came I couldn't resist. I've always been a fan of the halo series. Ill never forget when I first saw the game on my friends PC. But now I have wasted my money because i cant even return it. i bought it digitally.
The game lacks originality. Warzone is just trying to compete with destiny's raid. The campaign ended with Locke and Chief as friends. Which was not at all what I was hoping for. This game is boring and all I do is die all the time. Maybe im not good at it. But even if i was this game is not fun. I dont enjoy myself playing it. It pisses me off and I mostly leave halfway through a game.
This game couldve been so much better but 343 industries blew it once again. If they make a Halo 6 we should boycott the game.
HALO DIED WITH BUNGIE.
Kbyeee
flerprocks wrote:
Im going to start by saying ive never actually complained online about a game until i bought halo 5 guardians. The closest i've been this upset about a game was gears of war 2. I dont even care if anyone reads this because i really want to put my thoughts down.

This was huge disappointment. I wasn't even planning on buying the game. But when the release date came I couldn't resist. I've always been a fan of the halo series. Ill never forget when I first saw the game on my friends PC. But now I have wasted my money because i cant even return it. i bought it digitally.
The game lacks originality. Warzone is just trying to compete with destiny's raid. The campaign ended with Locke and Chief as friends. Which was not at all what I was hoping for. This game is boring and all I do is die all the time. Maybe im not good at it. But even if i was this game is not fun. I dont enjoy myself playing it. It pisses me off and I mostly leave halfway through a game.
This game couldve been so much better but 343 industries blew it once again. If they make a Halo 6 we should boycott the game.
HALO DIED WITH BUNGIE.
Kbyeee
Boycott it all you want. I'll be buying Halo 6 and playing the next game in a very alive franchise.

Also Gears 3, in my opinion, should be the one people complain about lol, that game's story was a joke.
flerprocks wrote:

HALO DIED WITH BUNGIE.
Kbyeee
Boycott it all you want. I'll be buying Halo 6 and playing the next game in a very alive franchise.

Also Gears 3, in my opinion, should be the one people complain about lol, that game's story was a joke.
I'll end up buying it too for the story... the STORY 343. PLEASE work on the story as much as you worked on the multiplayer if not MORE. I know that's impossible because multiplayer=money but do it for the fans! I just played it again and beat it on Legendary.

I loved Halo 4. People seem to hate it but I have no idea why... there's deep character development for Chief, beautiful gameplay and cinematics, and a great story that concludes in one game. Halo 5... we get all these pissed off one liners from Chief like "How the hell did you get here?" or "Like hell she is" and Chief is all of a sudden extremely pissy. ON the other hand, we have Halsey who is perhaps one of the most interesting humans in a game but her last line is something so insignificant like "It's about time..."

Anyone remember how when you beat Halo 4 there was a nice 2 minute video at the end with a beautiful monologue from the Didact, and an epic cutscene that made you feel like you ended the game? There was SO MUCH. Halo 5's ending? (SPOILER ALERT) feels like you had to get up and leave the theater
Azian Lad wrote:
flerprocks wrote:

HALO DIED WITH BUNGIE.
Kbyeee

I'll end up buying it too for the story... the STORY 343. PLEASE work on the story as much as you worked on the multiplayer if not MORE. I know that's impossible because multiplayer=money but do it for the fans! I just played it again and beat it on Legendary.

I loved Halo 4. People seem to hate it but I have no idea why... there's deep character development for Chief, beautiful gameplay and cinematics, and a great story that concludes in one game. Halo 5... we get all these pissed off one liners from Chief like "How the hell did you get here?" or "Like hell she is" and Chief is all of a sudden extremely pissy. ON the other hand, we have Halsey who is perhaps one of the most interesting humans in a game but her last line is something so insignificant like "It's about time..."

Anyone remember how when you beat Halo 4 there was a nice 2 minute video at the end with a beautiful monologue from the Didact, and an epic cutscene that made you feel like you ended the game? There was SO MUCH. Halo 5's ending? (SPOILER ALERT) feels like you had to get up and leave the theater
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who noticed that...

It was just, so weird to have the Chief be rude and angry to everyone all of the sudden. One thing I've always loved about the Chief was the fact that's he's almost always soft-spoken and polite when dealing with others - he doesn't have to be some in-your-face a-hole in order to be a badass. He hasn't always been "mary sunshine" either, and he can be firm when necessary, but he's never been so callous as he was in 'Halo 5' in the games or the books before. It just comes off as massively OOC. Especially when it comes to how offhandedly he treats his teammates...it's just wrong.
Halo 5 is in my opinion the least good Halo Campaign. does not even try to beat Halo 4 and people are split about how good the Halo 4 campaign was.
HMBravo wrote:

If you can't understand any of a game's story without of having read all of the related books, then that game's story has failed. Simple as.

Besides, the story STILL sucks even taking the EU into account.
flerprocks wrote:

HALO DIED WITH BUNGIE.
Kbyeee
See this here confuses me every single time.

What on earth was so redeemable about the original Halo trilogy? Yes, they were the games that hooked me and got me all aboard this new exciting, teeming universe. But from a narrative perspective? I'm not going to lie, as some body who still enjoys playing them, they sucked.

Halo 2 was perhaps the closest one of the three to being a strong, confident narrative by itself but even it was often muddled and confused. Despite being younger, if it were so concise and clear a narrative, I should have at least gotten the major ideas of the plot. Regret just casually finds his way to another Halo - not really explained. In Amber Clad becomes infected by the Flood - never openly explained. The Gravemind - Huge flood entity, okay cool, we got that. What does it do? No clue, but it says the Covenant should be stopped and it's teleporting us places so I guess it's cool. NO WAIT NEVERMIND HE'S USING US. Johnson and a small handful of marines end up guerilla fighting their way to the Scarab's boarding bay which Arbiter had to manhandle his way through just to fight the last group of Brutes before, magically, more Sanghieli support comes flying in and Johnson's already aboard the Scarab. And these are just gripes that came to my mind as I type this, for Halo 2, which is arguably one of the most endeared campaigns of all time.

Do I know more finite details than I'm letting on in the above paragraph? Well, actually, yes! But did the game inform me of any of them? No!

The point of this mini-rant, if you'll call it that, is that Halo has never been good about clear, concise storytelling. Bungie sure as heck did not do a good job of it. People praise Bungie's storytelling, but Chief's personality was flatter than a coke left out for a week; characters are introduced but given no relevant context (I.E. Gravemind); even as Earth is facing what may be the end, the Marines are as happy-go-lucky and chatty as though it's just a paintball drill. Heck, it took a good deal of restraint to use Halo 2 and not Halo 3 as an example.

Without the EU, no mainstream Halo Game has ever had a very clear, point-to-point storyline. To credit Bungie is absolutely ludicrous. Even in face of 343i's recent let-downs (the most notable in my opinion being Escalation's ending), they've still to this point shown more compassion for Halo's beautiful universe than Bungie did.
The campaign definitely wasn't as good as Halo 4... they didn't even mention the Didact... I was very disappointed by that. I'm hoping he'll return somehow in Halo 6 and help stop Cortana. Maybe It will have a campaign as good as Halo 4.
HMBravo wrote:

If you can't understand any of a game's story without of having read all of the related books, then that game's story has failed. Simple as.

You don't have to read the books to know what's going on. Did you have to read a book know what Halo CE story was about? No. What about Halo Reach? No. Simple. If you play the Halo games and watch the terminals, especially in Halo 4, the game's story is quite clear.
Venexo wrote:
The campaign definitely wasn't as good as Halo 4... they didn't even mention the Didact... I was very disappointed by that. I'm hoping he'll return somehow in Halo 6 and help stop Cortana. Maybe It will have a campaign as good as Halo 4.
Just in case you didn't know - Didact was composed in the Escalation Comics by John and Blue Team. So he's presently in a digitized form and considered "contained". Hard to say what'll happen!
Gamma 46 wrote:
flerprocks wrote:

HALO DIED WITH BUNGIE.
Kbyeee
See this here confuses me every single time.

What on earth was so redeemable about the original Halo trilogy? Yes, they were the games that hooked me and got me all aboard this new exciting, teeming universe. But from a narrative perspective? I'm not going to lie, as some body who still enjoys playing them, they sucked.

Halo 2 was perhaps the closest one of the three to being a strong, confident narrative by itself but even it was often muddled and confused. Despite being younger, if it were so concise and clear a narrative, I should have at least gotten the major ideas of the plot. Regret just casually finds his way to another Halo - not really explained. In Amber Clad becomes infected by the Flood - never openly explained. The Gravemind - Huge flood entity, okay cool, we got that. What does it do? No clue, but it says the Covenant should be stopped and it's teleporting us places so I guess it's cool. NO WAIT NEVERMIND HE'S USING US. Johnson and a small handful of marines end up guerilla fighting their way to the Scarab's boarding bay which Arbiter had to manhandle his way through just to fight the last group of Brutes before, magically, more Sanghieli support comes flying in and Johnson's already aboard the Scarab. And these are just gripes that came to my mind as I type this, for Halo 2, which is arguably one of the most endeared campaigns of all time.

Do I know more finite details than I'm letting on in the above paragraph? Well, actually, yes! But did the game inform me of any of them? No!

The point of this mini-rant, if you'll call it that, is that Halo has never been good about clear, concise storytelling. Bungie sure as heck did not do a good job of it. People praise Bungie's storytelling, but Chief's personality was flatter than a coke left out for a week; characters are introduced but given no relevant context (I.E. Gravemind); even as Earth is facing what may be the end, the Marines are as happy-go-lucky and chatty as though it's just a paintball drill. Heck, it took a good deal of restraint to use Halo 2 and not Halo 3 as an example.

Without the EU, no mainstream Halo Game has ever had a very clear, point-to-point storyline. To credit Bungie is absolutely ludicrous. Even in face of 343i's recent let-downs (the most notable in my opinion being Escalation's ending), they've still to this point shown more compassion for Halo's beautiful universe than Bungie did.
OH MY GOD, SOMEBODY ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "STORY" AND "STORYTELLING"?!What I have said time and time and time, while the original trilogy had a good story, the storytelling SUCKED. The only close to having a proper storytelling was Halo 2.

Hell, Halo Reach and ODST didn't have an actual plot until the last two missions!!
Azian Lad wrote:
flerprocks wrote:

HALO DIED WITH BUNGIE.
Kbyeee

I loved Halo 4. It was my favorite Halo game by far lol. I didn't really care for the multiplayer too much, but the story and game play was just beautiful.
Venexo wrote:
HMBravo wrote:

You don't have to read the books to know what's going on. Did you have to read a book know what Halo CE story was about? No. What about Halo Reach? No. Simple. If you play the Halo games and watch the terminals, especially in Halo 4, the game's story is quite clear.
So you're telling me that, before Halo 2 came out, and without reading Halo: The Fall of Reach, you understood what the Covenant was and their significance to humanity? You knew that the Pillar of Autumn just limped out of the fall of one of humanity's last, best strongholds? You understood why a little ball named 343 Guilty Spark would hum to himself and casually unlock doors for you - better yet, you understood the purpose of the Library, why you had been seemingly abducted from your allies, and half of what he was talking about when he said "Last time you asked me would I do it?". You understood what exactly the Master Chief was, why he was in special armor with shields like the enemies you're fighting, or what in the heck he was going to do to go home - or where home was - at the end of the story?

Remember, you have to answer these questions ONLY within the context of Halo CE's campaign. No other resources, excepting perhaps the game manual (which is outdated, I might remind you). Not to sound aggravated or aggressive, but I have to say I completely disagree that CE filled us in on important details surrounding the plot outside of "we landed on this alien thing and we're going to find out about it". That's about the only plot line we became illuminated on the entire game.

Reach's was straight forward, again, because of other extended canon. If you played and read nothing except Halo: Reach, do we know the significance of Covenant? Of Insurrectionists on Reach? Of Halsey berating Noble Team but showing a more motherly tone with Jorge - or even why he's so knowledgeable and respectful of her while the rest of Noble is indifferent? Reach gets bonus points for being more self contained than the others, in that it's at its most simple level a story about surviving an alien invasion and fighting back against it. But again, if you only utilize the game itself as a resource, how much do you really understand?
I feel like from a pure gameplay standpoint, H5 was much better than H4 decidedly worse than Halo CE and H3 and on par with Reach & 2. Where I do see an arguement is with the story. I honestly believe the story was above average. I didn't like how chief went awol and they pursued him like he massacred 100 children and 10 puppies. I do however kind of like how

Spoiler:
Show
Let's be honest. 343i just want to kill the master chief just like 343 guilty spark itself. Never name your company after one of the main antagonists.
I agree that they could have done better but i still think its a pretty solid game for halo fans
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4