Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo Book Starting Place

OP KCIK666

I have not read any Halo novels. Who has a suggestion of a good book to start with? I was considering New Blood by Matt Forbeck. I'll take any other suggestions though.
KCIK666 wrote:
I have not read any Halo novels. Who has a suggestion of a good book to start with? I was considering New Blood by Matt Forbeck. I'll take any other suggestions though.
I read New Blood, it was pretty good. I haven't read any others actually but I plan on hopefully being able yo read Fall of Reach, the flood and first strike. You can get those three books in a set pretty cheap. They are essentially the start of the Halo series.
KCIK666 wrote:
It depends where in canon you wanna start from.If it doesn't matter to you then I would go with fall of reach then first strike then ghosts of onyx
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback! I think I'll go ahead and start with Fall of Reach, might as well start at the beginning
If you read them in the order of release you won't have any big reveals spoiled early, so that's a good way of doing it.
You should definitely start with the Nylund books and anything from that time frame:
  • Fall of Reach
  • First Strike
  • Ghosts of Onyx
  • Cole Protocol (which leads into Glasslands and a new trilogy)
  • Contact Harvest
  • The Flood (basically Halo:CE with more detail and story about the Marines on the PoA)
Halo: The Fall of Reach always first.
I always suggest release order. :)
Cononically start with contact harvest, in release order then fall of reach
Cononically start with contact harvest, in release order then fall of reach
Agreed. I always suggest Contact Harvest as the first for even new comers to the Halo franchise since (aside from the Forerunner stuff), it's the origin story of Halo and the Human-Covenant war. It contains a good mix of human (Avery Johnson), alien (the future Hierarchs), and even Smart AI perspectives on the whole situation. It was also written by Joseph Staten who was one of the main writers for the original Halo series and director of cinematics, so his work would be pure canon whereas a lot of writers are freelance and therefore can make more canon errors, for example.

Of course, as others have mentioned, it depends on where you'd like to start. Nylund's books were first to be written and cover the origin of the Spartans, specially John and Blue Team, and (it's been a real long time since I read them so forgive any inaccuracies), I believe Nylund established a lot of the lore for Halo in the early days, too.
Depends, do you want a good story or do you want the story of Halo chronologically?

Good story (IMO):
  1. Smoke and Shadow
  2. Cole Protocol
  3. Envoy
  4. Fall of Reach
  5. Silentium
For chronologically just look at the rest of the replies here.
Fall of Reach. It's one of the best Halo books and it gives probably the most insight in to the Halo Universe than any other single book. I'd suggest just reading them in the order they came out from there. If you're not an avid reader, you may want to skip Halo: The Flood, it gives some interesting insights in to what everyone besides the Master Chief is doing, but the Master Chief parts are a boring retelling of the Halo CE events.