Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo books...Opinions

OP FizzySipps

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Okay so I have some of the Halo books like (Fall of reach), (The Flood), (First Strike) and a few others and I've read them all... My opinion on them is that they're all great and I love them but what do you guys think of the halo books...???
I haven’t read a couple of the new ones from 2018 onward just yet, but I love the rest I’ve read. Picking a favorite for me means I’m only choosing which shiny object is shinier, which is to say they’re all pretty special in their own way. For instance, the Forerunner trilogy would not be my first choice to read again, but that’s purely because I prefer some stories over others and not because I can find fault with the trilogy itself.

The games have their issues, especially H5, but I think it’s safe to say the books have been consistently excellent thanks to the talented authors and they have only done good things for the Halo universe. Best of all, no microtransactions and no such thing as a “book as a service” ;-)
tuhin94 wrote:
The games have their issues, especially H5, but I think it’s safe to say the books have been consistently excellent thanks to the talented authors and they have only done good things for the Halo universe. Best of all, no microtransactions and no such thing as a “book as a service” ;-)
That's because they haven't figured out a way to do that yet 😂

I've read about 80 to 85 percent of the novels excluding the digital only ones. Only ones I wasn't really interest in were the forerunner trilogy and kilo five trilogy
It is like any other franchise with a substantial novella from multiple authors be it Star Wars, Warhammer 40,000, or even Halo. There are some good ones and there are some bad ones.
Take the CE trilogy you have, most people will tell you the Flood is not worth reading but the two from Nylund are pretty good. Although I think him making the book before the game released has created some continuity problems. My favorite is the Cole Protocol by Buckell. The one that Jason Staten wrote who was the writer of Halo has had some mixed reviews and I pretty much agree with those. The Forerunner trilogy has had quite a bit of criticism upon that, so take it what you will.

But again with any media that has had a mass appeal and a mass expanded universe you can take and chose what you like and what you would prefer to ignore. Heck Disney already did that and most people are starting to question Disney's authority over the lore of $tar War$, sure they own it but that doesn't mean they know how to tell the stories very well. If you like it then good, if not it isn't like the books had any bearing on the game.
I've read most but not all. Some were better than others, but all were pretty good. The only set I wasn't as enthralled by was the Forerunner Trilogy. Just wasn't my speed. Not bad, just not my favorite.
Honestly? Awful. Halo novels are the definition of potboiler, they've got less literary merit than John Green. It's blatantly obvious they were written purely to cash in on the brand name. IMO 343 should focus on other mediums, stuff like Hunt the Truth and the Official Spartan Field Manual are much better additions to the canon. Prose just isn't a good fit.

tuhin94 wrote:
I haven’t read a couple of the new ones from 2018 onward just yet, but I love the rest I’ve read. Picking a favorite for me means I’m only choosing which shiny object is shinier, which is to say they’re all pretty special in their own way. For instance, the Forerunner trilogy would not be my first choice to read again, but that’s purely because I prefer some stories over others and not because I can find fault with the trilogy itself.

Sadly even this is no longer true. If your ebook comes with DRM you don't actually own it:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/02/microsoft-store-removes-e-books/
Every book. I have read every novel and graphic novel. The entirey of Halo is amazing to me. Every time a new book comes out I buy it and read it. I love this universe that I've immersed myself into. Bungie had a good run with Halo. They gave birth to a fantasic fictional universe and 343 Industries has perfected the lore in ways I could never imagine. They've had a couple of dents in their Great Journey (Nightfall, The Fall of Reach Animated Series, Halo 5: Guardians), but overall they've made me interested in every new iteration that comes from them. Unlike Disney with Star Wars, I look forward to each new step along the Great Journey.
I'm a huge lore junkie - i love the books and i've read nearly all of them.

Admittedly in recent years i've kind of stopped reading them but in the last few weeks i've made up for that by reading, Last Light, Fractures and Hunters in the Dark. All of which i thoroughly enjoyed. Today i've started reading Envoy and it seems good so far (two chapters in)

Admittedly in recent years i've kind of stopped reading them but in the last few weeks i've made up for that by reading, Last Light, Fractures and Hunters in the Dark. All of which i thoroughly enjoyed. Today i've started reading Envoy and it seems good so far (two chapters in)
Envoy is actually now one of my new favourite books.

Overall, I've read every Halo novel that's come out, and have enjoyed all of them...even Mortal Dictata (though not nearly as much).

My top ones are Envoy, Ghosts of Onyx, and First Strike.
For me the Halo book series is an perfect addition to the Halo game series.
Many infos you may have not picked up in the video games can be found in the books and all the background stories help you to fully understand everything in the Halo Universe.
Especially the Forerunner books or Fresh Blood in which you find out how the Forerunners lived and how they handled business and what happened to the ODST team.
Without the books i may would have never found out about all those information and many things would have stayed strange.

Of course you can live without them but as i said they are a good addition.
I've read several but my favorites were probably First Strike, The Fall of Reach, and Contact Harvest

Envoy is actually now one of my new favourite books.

Overall, I've read every Halo novel that's come out, and have enjoyed all of them...even Mortal Dictata (though not nearly as much).

My top ones are Envoy, Ghosts of Onyx, and First Strike.
Wow, i'm genuinely impressed. Ghosts of Onyx and First Strike are both great reads.

I'm about 150 pages into Envoy and so far i'm liking it, it's paced very well and seeing the events from so many different perspectives is a really good way of telling the story IMO.
Books are nice to read.
Read as much as you can
Read as much as you can
Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. You should also try to contribute a bit more. Thanks
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
All the ones I have read are:

Halo: First Contact
Halo: The Fall of Reach
Halo: The Flood (reading now, but not finished)
Halo: First Strike
Halo Ghosts of Onyx
Halo: Glasslands
Halo: Thursday War
Halo: Mortal Dictata

I can thoroughly say that I love all these books except the Kilo-5 trilogy.
Vytlo5569 wrote:
All the ones I have read are:

Halo: First Contact
Halo: The Fall of Reach
Halo: The Flood (reading now, but not finished)
Halo: First Strike
Halo Ghosts of Onyx
Halo: Glasslands
Halo: Thursday War
Halo: Mortal Dictata

I can thoroughly say that I love all these books except the Kilo-5 trilogy.
For those who don't know, the Kilo-5 trilogy is Glasslands, Thursday War, and Mortal Dictata.
I just finished the kilo 5 trilogy and, yeah mortal dictata isn't that great, there were some good moments in the other 2 though
The 3 first were godd. After that, the books in general just became progressively less interesting and irrelevant
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2