Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo books...Opinions

OP FizzySipps

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
elGocsila wrote:
After that, the books in general just became progressively less interesting and irrelevant,
See, I feel the opposite. The original works by Nylund started the Halo universe on a high-note, and the novels that followed continued to expand and breathe life into the universe. Yes, there's been dips in quality here and there, but in general, I think Halo's EU works have been consistently done well.
I think 343i has, overall, kept the quality up under their tenure. Novels such as Broken Circle, Last Light, Shadow of Intent, Smoke and Shadow, Silent Storm and Renegades are generally held in high regard, and I think for good reason.
I’ve read every book that has come out and I’m really looking forward to reading “Oblivion” later this month and then “Meridian Divide” in October. I’m not much of a reader but I do love the Halo books as they add so much more to the Halo universe that you don’t get to see beyond the video games. I’ve enjoyed each book so far and definitely have ones I prefer above all others. The Kilo-Five Trilogy gets a bad rep but I appreciated each one (even though “Mortal Dictata” is my least favorite of the bunch) and I can say “The Thursday War” was my favorite of those three. The other book that gets a bad rep is “The Flood” as it’s just a retelling of Combat Evolved. But that still remains one of my favorite books as it provides greater detail to the overall story of Combat Evolved and even introduces some great characters and even better character moments. The moment that stands out the most is Keyes’ tortured mind as the Proto-Gravemind tries to pry the location of Earth from him. This scene was beautifully (and horrifically!) brought to life in the Keyes terminal in Combat Evolved Anniversary. But I digress. I could go on and on about what I liked about each book but I think I’ll just finish with the books I liked the most in no particular order: The Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, Last Light, New Blood, Bad Blood and Battle Born. I’m sure I’ll be adding to my list in the near future 😉
I have read all of the books. I love the lore so the forerunner trilogy was probably my favorite. A slow difficult read. I also agree a lot of the new writers seem to just be playing off the titles. The Fall Of Reach hands down my favorite. When the master chief has been augmented and goes and works out. Thinks the ships gravity is off. Then smashes a few shock drop troupers in the ring... gives me goose bumps thinking about it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2