So I started reading the Halo novels recently. I bought Halo New Blood yesterday and Bad Blood, so far I am loving New Blood. I own glasslands and was wondering, what books come after glasslands and what order do I read them in?
To answer your initial question, Glasslands is the first of the Kilo 5 trilogy. The Thursday War and Mortal Dictata are the second and third respectively so they should be read after Glasslands. A warning though, a major part of Glasslands relies heavily on events that occurred in Ghosts of Onyx which in turn relies heavily on events that occured in First Strike which in turn relies heavily on events from The Fall of Reach so start with The Fall of Reach and then work your way up to the Kilo 5 trilogy. If you want, read The Flood between Fall of Reach and First Strike but it's basically a retelling of Halo CE so in no way is it necessary. Legacy of Onyx is the latest in anything related to Onyx if you wanted to read that after all the ones mentioned above. Halo Last Light takes place at the same time as Mortal Dictata (in a different part of the universe but there are several references to Mortal Dictata) and features characters from Ghosts of Onyx so that is an option as well. The sequel to that is Halo Retribution. Sorry if that made no sense. Here's a list of what you should read in order starting from the top based on your original post:
Fall of Reach
The Flood (optional)
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands
Thursday War
Mortal Dictata
Last Light (optional)
Retribution (optional)
Legacy of Onyx (optional)
The rest of the Halo novels (optional)
To answer your initial question, Glasslands is the first of the Kilo 5 trilogy. The Thursday War and Mortal Dictata are the second and third respectively so they should be read after Glasslands. A warning though, a major part of Glasslands relies heavily on events that occurred in Ghosts of Onyx which in turn relies heavily on events that occured in First Strike which in turn relies heavily on events from The Fall of Reach so start with The Fall of Reach and then work your way up to the Kilo 5 trilogy. If you want, read The Flood between Fall of Reach and First Strike but it's basically a retelling of Halo CE so in no way is it necessary. Legacy of Onyx is the latest in anything related to Onyx if you wanted to read that after all the ones mentioned above. Halo Last Light takes place at the same time as Mortal Dictata (in a different part of the universe but there are several references to Mortal Dictata) and features characters from Ghosts of Onyx so that is an option as well. The sequel to that is Halo Retribution. Sorry if that made no sense. Here's a list of what you should read in order starting from the top based on your original post:
Fall of Reach
The Flood (optional)
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands
Thursday War
Mortal Dictata
Last Light (optional)
Retribution (optional)
Legacy of Onyx (optional)
The rest of the Halo novels (optional)
Thank you so much, I'm probably going to finish this mini odst series then read glasslands and go from there.
First time here, though I've been a long time Halo-fan and player. I've also finally made the decision to start reading the Halo-books. I've ordered New Blood, Hunters In The Dark and Envoy. The first two will be arriving tomorrow so I'm really excited. I've finished all the games on Legendary, except for Halo Wars 1 and 2. I've watched all the media series/movies/one off's so I shouldn't be too deep of a plunge. Though I will go back to reading the Fall of Reach and onward from there just cuz I feel that's the right thing to do. So great to see that the community is helping each other out on grasping the universe!
First time here, though I've been a long time Halo-fan and player. I've also finally made the decision to start reading the Halo-books. I've ordered New Blood, Hunters In The Dark and Envoy. The first two will be arriving tomorrow so I'm really excited. I've finished all the games on Legendary, except for Halo Wars 1 and 2. I've watched all the media series/movies/one off's so I shouldn't be too deep of a plunge. Though I will go back to reading the Fall of Reach and onward from there just cuz I feel that's the right thing to do. So great to see that the community is helping each other out on grasping the universe!
Make sure you get New Blood too, its so good. I can't put it down and nice hearing the back story of Buck.
New Blood is the one I'm reading right now, perhaps you meant ' Bad Blood', the newer book?
But 'New Blood' is great! Buck is a great character, and his persona and mannerisms are perfectly written and described in New Blood. The book does him justice, especially the ODST-flashbacks. Also it syncs so well with Nathan Fillion's portray of the character, it only adds to the book.
Make sure you get New Blood too, its so good. I can't put it down and nice hearing the back story of Buck.
I finished New Blood yesterday and I agree. This book was really well written in the perspective of Buck, and made me appreciate his character even more. I didn't think much of Buck before, but now he's actually one of my favorite characters. I just like the way he thinks and Matt Forbeck's prose.
Kekapo wrote:
I finished New Blood yesterday and I agree. This book was really well written in the perspective of Buck, and made me appreciate his character even more. I didn't think much of Buck before, but now he's actually one of my favorite characters. I just like the way he thinks and Matt Forbeck's prose.
I was so shocked when I found out Jun never died on Reach and he was the one who recruited Buck to be a spartan.
There be a useful thread Pinned above. Hope this helps you lot.
i love the books myself
New Blood is the one I'm reading right now, perhaps you meant ' Bad Blood', the newer book?
But 'New Blood' is great! Buck is a great character, and his persona and mannerisms are perfectly written and described in New Blood. The book does him justice, especially the ODST-flashbacks. Also it syncs so well with Nathan Fillion's portray of the character, it only adds to the book.
I would finish new blood and then read the Eric nylund trilogy...fall of reach first strike (my favorite halo book) and lastly ghosts of onyx
I would finish new blood and then read the Eric nylund trilogy...fall of reach first strike (my favorite halo book) and lastly ghosts of onyx
I read Fall Of Reach and I loved it, I hope they make a movie about it.
Kekapo wrote:
I was so shocked when I found out Jun never died on Reach and he was the one who recruited Buck to be a spartan.
That blew my mind too, I knew he didn't die, but letting him return in the book and working for the Spartan IV program was such a nice touch. Finished the book yesterday. Would recommend it to every Halo-fan.
CIA391 wrote:
There be a useful thread Pinned above. Hope this helps you lot.
Thank you so much, it's really extensive!
Yeah I agree. I did give the Forerunner-trilogy a try but couldn't finish it. So I'm revisiting that when I finished the first few trilogy's etc. Really looking forward to the first trilogy.
Hi Matterhorn117,

For the future, if you are going to post multiple replies please procure to do so in a single post, you can add multiple quotes to a post. Posting multiple times in a row is considered spam.
Hi Matterhorn117,

For the future, if you are going to post multiple replies please procure to do so in a single post, you can add multiple quotes to a post. Posting multiple times in a row is considered spam.
Got ya! Can do Hookocho. Thanks