Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo Chronological Order thread

OP CIA391

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo has many ways to go though the fiction. Some prefer release order. Some prefer the ultimate challenge of going though everything in order chapter by chapter. One can even say there is no right way to go through the fiction.
This thread takes a step back from "the everything in exact order" and simplifies it. Making everything simpler. So you can easily go though everything in order. Without the added depth of chapter swapping. And no obscure stuff like trailers.

Rule's
Normal Rules apply in this thread. If you haven't read them. Read them!
If you want to help great, post here, or PM me, I dont bite.
This is not a place to say your dislike on a game/book or piece of media. I will find a thread for you you if you start.
And thank you for taking your time reading these.

Notes
  • Seeing as its simple to do. Everything below will have the Halo 2/ODST swap where Halo 3: ODST happens during Halo 2. That is the most complex thing in this thread.
  • I wont use the key I use in my canon order threads. These are more simple and use less word count per the post they are in thus I can safely use their full names.
  • Notes will be next to certain items if they have any notable things about them but you can ignore them if you like. Mostly they are about how the said item happens during the fall of reach.
  • This will be updated after every major release. Or if something causes a major shift in the order of stuff.

Contents Section
Use this to get straight to the relevant post holding the items in order.
Other ways to go though canon not in this thread.
Games
Halo Wars
Halo Reach
Halo Combat Evolved/Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary
Halo 2/Halo 2 Anniversary and finish the metropolis level.
Halo 3:ODST but dont watch the Epilogue
Halo 2/Halo 2 Anniversary finish the game
Halo 3: ODST Epilogue
Halo 3
Halo 4
Halo Spartan Assault
Halo Spartan Strike
Halo 4 Spartan Ops
Halo 5: Guardians
Halo Wars 2
Books
Halo: Fractures Extraordinary tales from the Halo Canon *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo story
Halo: Cryptum
Halo: Primordium
Halo: Silentium
Halo: Evolutions *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo story
Halo: The Fall of Reach
Halo: Contact Harvest *Happens midway in the fall of reach book
Halo: Cole Protocol *Happens midway in the fall of reach book
Halo: The Flood
Halo: First Strike
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx *Events in this book also happens concurrently during the fall of reach book.
Halo: Broken Circle *Events in this book also happen before the fall of reach book
Halo: Glasslands
Halo: Shadow of Intent
Halo: Thursday War
Halo: Mortal Dictata
Halo: Last Light
Halo: Retribution
Halo: Hunters in the Dark
Halo: New Blood
Halo: Smoke and Shadow
Halo: Saints Testimony
Halo: Envoy
Games and Books
Halo: Fractures Extraordinary tales from the Halo Canon *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo story
Halo: Evolutions *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo story
Halo Wars *Happens midway in the fall of reach book
Halo Reach *Happens during the final half of the book the fall of reach
The game Halo Combat Evolved/Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary, or The book Halo: The Flood
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx *Events in this book also happens concurrently during the fall of reach book.
Halo 3
Halo: Broken Circle *Events in this book also happen before the fall of reach book
Halo 4
Halo Spartan Assault
Halo Spartan Strike
Halo 4 Spartan Ops
Halo Wars 2
Books and Graphic Novels
Halo Graphic Novel *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo Story
The book Halo: The Fall of Reach or the Graphic novels The Fall of Reach
Halo: Tales from Slipspace *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo Story
Halo: Helljumper *Happens midway in the fall of reach book
Halo: Bloodline
Halo: Uprising
Halo: Initiation
Halo: Escalation
Games, Books, Graphic Novels, shows, and Marketing Audio Dramas
Halo Graphic Novel *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo Story
Halo Legends *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo Story
The book Halo: The Fall of Reach or the Graphic novels The Fall of Reach or the Animation The fall of reach
Halo: Forward Unto Dawn *Happens midway in the fall of reach book
Halo Wars *Happens midway in the fall of reach book
Halo: Tales from Slipspace *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo Story
Halo: Helljumper *Happens midway in the fall of reach book
Halo Reach *Happens during the final half of the book the fall of reach
Halo: Bloodline
The game Halo Combat Evolved/Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary, or The book Halo: The Flood
I love Bees
Halo: Uprising
Halo 3
Halo: Initiation
Halo: Nightfall
Halo 4
Halo Spartan Assault
Halo Spartan Strike
Halo 4 Spartan Ops
Halo: Escalation
Hunt the Truth
Halo Wars 2
Backup reserve(in case its needed)
CIA391 wrote:
Books
you may want to add in Halo Last Light.
set july 2553
don't know when that is only it is after the kilo five trilogy ends :)
CIA391 wrote:
Books
you may want to add in Halo Last Light.
set july 2553
don't know when that is only it is after the kilo five trilogy ends :)
I missed it out by accident. Thanks. (no matter how much I do sometimes stuff does slip though)

And its plainly right after Kilo-5. Even in my normal canon order. Its like that. 343i lore doesnt jump around as much as Bungie lore thankfully.
thanks CIA391 I'm new to Halo although I had played Halo Reach when it came out but had not touched it since. I have now gotten all of the other games and books (at least the ones I could find on Amazon) and was really confused about reading order. (I'm 63 yrs old so that "could" explain some of the confusion..) Searching YouTube got me even more confused because they would list the order of the books and then go "oh yeah this one goes way back to this era"!!!! Very frustrating. Until I found your work. Congrats my friend this is exactly what I need. I am a fanatic about stuff like this and obviously you are as well. Thank you for such a great job...I can now read and play in peace.
Doesn't Spartan Strike have parts set at the time of halo 2?
Bcarr10 wrote:
Doesn't Spartan Strike have parts set at the time of halo 2?
While yes the events told are based around that time.

Its canonically a simulation that takes place in 2557. :)
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. That was confusing me.
CIA391 wrote:
Games and Books
Halo 3
Halo Online
Halo 4
Halo Spartan Assault
Halo Spartan Strike
Halo 4 Spartan Ops
Hey I noticed that you accidently left out Halo Wars and Halo Reach. But great job you put a lot of work into this.
CIA391 wrote:
Games and Books
Halo 3
Halo Online
Halo 4
Halo Spartan Assault
Halo Spartan Strike
Halo 4 Spartan Ops
Hey I noticed that you accidently left out Halo Wars and Halo Reach. But great job you put a lot of work into this.
Thanks, I fixed them in now. :3
Why the Fall of Reach before Harvest? It is right before The Flood and Combat Evolved, not before Harvest.
jcrmena wrote:
Why the Fall of Reach before Harvest? It is right before The Flood and Combat Evolved, not before Harvest.
As the lists say in regards to that book and its placement.

Quote:
*Happens midway in the fall of reach book
This is the case because The fall of Reach starts at 2517 and has a few timejumps. While Contact Harvest takes place in 2525.

I tried to make things clear and easy to understand. Chapter swapping isnt the purpose of this thread after all. :)
CIA391 wrote:
BooksHalo: Fractures *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo storyHalo: Cryptum
Halo: Evolutions *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo storyHalo: Fractures Extraordinary tales from the Halo Canon *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo storyHalo: The Fall of Reach
Halo: Contact Harvest *Happens midway in the fall of reach bookHalo: Cole Protocol *Happens midway in the fall of reach bookHalo: The Flood
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx *Events in this book also happens concurrently during the fall of reach book.Halo: Broken Circle *Events in this book also happen before the fall of reach bookHalo: Glasslands
Is there any list with the stories from Fractures and Evolutions in chronological order with the books? Rather than the entire Fractures/Evolutions being one place in the list.
CIA391 wrote:
BooksHalo: Fractures *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo storyHalo: Cryptum
Halo: Evolutions *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo storyHalo: Fractures Extraordinary tales from the Halo Canon *This is a collection of stories ranging throughout the Halo storyHalo: The Fall of Reach
Halo: Contact Harvest *Happens midway in the fall of reach bookHalo: Cole Protocol *Happens midway in the fall of reach bookHalo: The Flood
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx *Events in this book also happens concurrently during the fall of reach book.Halo: Broken Circle *Events in this book also happen before the fall of reach bookHalo: Glasslands
Is there any list with the stories from Fractures and Evolutions in chronological order with the books? Rather than the entire Fractures/Evolutions being one place in the list.
I have a chapter by chapter, game level so on order if that helps. Its in my sig.

I originally just kept them as collections here in this thread as these lists were meant to be simple orders any fan could understand. I did consider it. But it fell under my no page swapping rule for this thread.

But I could do it fairly easy. Add a list that seperates Fractures and Evolutions also if you really want it. But really check my Canon Order first if that extreme does the job :)
CIA391 wrote:
CIA391 wrote:
I have a chapter by chapter, game level so on order if that helps. Its in my sig.

I originally just kept them as collections here in this thread as these lists were meant to be simple orders any fan could understand. I did consider it. But it fell under my no page swapping rule for this thread.

But I could do it fairly easy. Add a list that seperates Fractures and Evolutions also if you really want it. But really check my Canon Order first if that extreme does the job :)
I did take a look at your canon order. I'll be honest I get lost in it quite easily since it's so comprehensive. I would love if you could separate the short stores, but if you can't I understand. If you wanted to message it to me that could be cool if you didn't want to post it, but I would also understand not wanting to go through the work of making the list if it was just for one person.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2