Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Halo Cryptum, a bit flat?

OP Damo100674

I don’t know if it’s just me or things with Cryptum were left nebulas in their descriptions.
I’ll be honest I loved the story and finding out about the Forunners etc… However, reading Cryptum was a really flat experience for me.
Contact Harvest and Fall of Reach seems to me to be more descriptive, I could ‘see’ more of the characters, the cities the action that was taking place; Where as Cryptum seemed to be lacking in the visual description of what places, objects and people even looked like. Only small fragments are ever given and then only sporadically though the novel.
I was wondering if this was just a ‘me’ thing or if other peopled felt the same way? I suppose its been left that way for us to fill in the blanks and also for whatever games, movies etc are released in the Halo universe in the future so they are not locked down to a specific look and feel from this novel.
I really did enjoy the novel and can’t wait for the next two to find out what happens to all the characters and how it fits into the Halo that we have now.
The little details were in fact described much less than something like Contact Harvest, but frankly, I think that's what I liked about it. Next to FoR, this was the fastest I've ever plowed through a Halo novel. Something about the pacing of the story just really, really worked for me, and I found that I wasn't personally missing the details. I sort of liked that things were left to your imagination.
Quote:
The little details were in fact described much less than something like Contact Harvest, but frankly, I think that's what I liked about it. Next to FoR, this was the fastest I've ever plowed through a Halo novel. Something about the pacing of the story just really, really worked for me, and I found that I wasn't personally missing the details. I sort of liked that things were left to your imagination.
Six Okay? Here? Hi!
I gotta say, you're not alone about the "missing" details, but I did like that it pushed your imagination a lot more. Part of this really made the read a lot more fun for me.
For those that have read the book, this may be a dumb question, but did you find Cryptum worth reading? How do you feel the team at 343i and Greg did with one of the most delicate and unknown stories in the Halo universe?
Quote:
For those that have read the book, this may be a dumb question, but did you find Cryptum worth reading? How do you feel the team at 343i and Greg did with one of the most delicate and unknown stories in the Halo universe?
If some of the stories revelations haven't been spoiled already I would suggest you get a copy and read it. It will blow your mind.
My senior year at university has been killing me, so I haven't had the time to read the book OR read spoilers. I am tabula rasa as of now. ;) Thanks for the suggestion! I'm gonna go visit an Amazonian bookseller right about meow....

Quote:
Quote:
If some of the stories revelations haven't been spoiled already I would suggest you get a copy and read it. It will blow your mind.
It's all about writing style. I love the Eric Nylund books, he's a great scifi/military writer.

Greg Bear takes a different approach, really embodying the perspective of an alien. I really liked Cryptum, but I'll agree that there are key moments that really miss the impact of what is happening.
Agreed, I felt I was missing a lot, but at the same time realized Greg Bear was painting a portrait of a civilzation 100,000 years ago. The missing pieces enhanced that in a lot of ways. At this point (waiting for the two follow-ups), it raised a heck of a lot more questions as well.

Quote:
I gotta say, you're not alone about the "missing" details, but I did like that it pushed your imagination a lot more. Part of this really made the read a lot more fun for me.
Cryptum was quite flat, but than again it is only the first book in a trilogy. Hopefully more questions will be answered than questions given.
I'd be a bit unhappy if I was force fed the entire history of the Forerunners through the books. I like the mystery that is involved with that particular part of the fiction. Its what makes forerunner history and architecture so intriguing in the games. "Why is this here? I, personally, would like the experience of having forerunner questions answered during Halo 4-6. It would be nice if that picture was enhanced by the books, but not painted in its entirety. I'd be a bit bummed if the only extensive exploration into Forerunner past was through this novel series.

Though, I haven't read Cryptum yet so I can only speculate. :)
Too many details=a boring story IMO.